U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 AM

4 posts, read 6,252 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I'm new to posting on this forum and was just looking for any helpful information. My husband and I currently live in Lexington Kentucky and we are looking to relocate to NC so he can return to school. Were 23 years old and not super picky about where we live. We have lived in both country and city settings and we enjoyed both. I would like to rent in the Mooresville or Kannapolis area since my husband wants to attend UTI and those towns seem to be pretty close. I will also be finished with my degree in information technology in about a year. We have a couple of months of living expenses saved up so we should have enough time to find some entry level jobs. We would like to move within the next 3-4 months.
-What are some good areas to rent in? I would prefer a townhouse, duplex, or house since we have 2 medium sized dogs. Rent would preferably be under $700.
-Are there any areas we should stay away from?
-Any information on UTI would be helpful as well
Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittney18 View Post
Hello everyone!
I'm new to posting on this forum and was just looking for any helpful information. My husband and I currently live in Lexington Kentucky and we are looking to relocate to NC so he can return to school. Were 23 years old and not super picky about where we live. We have lived in both country and city settings and we enjoyed both. I would like to rent in the Mooresville or Kannapolis area since my husband wants to attend UTI and those towns seem to be pretty close. I will also be finished with my degree in information technology in about a year. We have a couple of months of living expenses saved up so we should have enough time to find some entry level jobs. We would like to move within the next 3-4 months.
-What are some good areas to rent in? I would prefer a townhouse, duplex, or house since we have 2 medium sized dogs. Rent would preferably be under $700.
Thanks for any help!
Can you up your budget? You are not going to find much in your current price range, even in apartments, sorry

Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 AM

249 posts, read 369,590 times
u need to allocate more finances for rent then 700 a month. For 700 you can get into a trailer park but that is about it.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:55 AM

3,410 posts, read 3,196,136 times
UTI is a really expensive school. Does he already have the money for it? My husband was an instructor there a couple of years ago. Coming out he will most likely get a entry level tech job (changing oil/changing tires)and be paid $8-$10(if he's lucky). The market for tech's is very saturated in and around the UTI school because of the school and NASCAR.

Tell him to check out Nashville Auto Diesel college in Nashville, TN.

Loves is right about the rent. $700 won't get you far at all and I would have more than a couple of months saved up go for at least 6 months.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 AM

21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!
Thanks for any help!
I know a young man who is currently attending UTI, I think. He worked full-time, as a mechanic, for 3 years as well as picking up side jobs to earn the 1st year of tuition. He commutes from his parents' home in Kings Mountain, to avoid rent, works part-time, & picks up side jobs. When he is done he will have 21 certifications. I don't want to tell you what to do, but my suggestion is to finish your schooling before moving.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM

279 posts, read 789,234 times
You should stay in the Mooresville area rather than Kannapolis because it's much closer to UTI. You can find apts. and houses on the east side of town in your price range.Check Craigslist for starters.As far as UTI, my son went to MMI in Orlando which is the same organization and we were not impressed.He could have gotten the same education at a community college for so much less.I would think twice about UTI.Do a little research.They do not have the greatest reputation! Best of luck to you!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times
Across the USA - Entry level jobs are being mostly taken by those that had Career level jobs.
The job market here is very, very bad, but our weather is awesome and most of the people
are nice (depending on the area).

Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 AM

4 posts, read 6,252 times
I have actually contacted some property management companies and they have provided me with many property listings within my price range. I was just wanting some neighborhood advice, or if there was any areas that should be avoided at all costs. I am aware that I need to save money to move as well as have a job.... Not looking for financial advice, hence the questions I originally posted

Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 AM

747 posts, read 1,545,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Can you up your budget? You are not going to find much in your current price range, even in apartments, sorry

Especially with 2 dogs.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM

21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
I have actually contacted some property management companies and they have provided me with many property listings within my price range. I was just wanting some neighborhood advice, or if there was any areas that should be avoided at all costs. I am aware that I need to save money to move as well as have a job.... Not looking for financial advice, hence the questions I originally posted
I think that you're taking people's advice wrong. We know what's going on here. You would be doing yourself a big favor to read this thread. Lowe's - massive layoffs .

We don't know your situation beyond what you wrote. If you must move now, we don't know. All that we know is what you wrote, in your OP.

If you can finish your IT courses, before moving, you & your husband are going to be in a much better position to make the move. Search this board for data centers.

If you must make the move now, why don't you just list the neighborhoods that were suggested to you & ask for feedback on them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or