Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM

190 posts, read 864,671 times

Advertisements

Given the things that are most important to us - people hospital and animal hospital, we are concentrating on these two towns.

Can anyone give us comparisons between the two as far as amenities - grocery store, drugstore, hardware store, etc. as well as which has the better people hospital?

We know that Matthews has more of the traditional downtown, and Huntersville has Birkdale Village. That is not an issue. As long as there are some shops and restaurants around, we don't care about the "format" - new or old "downtown".

If I remember correctly, Huntersville is about 3x as large as Matthews? Does that bring more amenities? More traffic?

We'd like a community the is accepting of outsiders, and also dog friendly - some neighborhood parks for walks on leash with our dog. She's a hound and can never be off leash, so don't care about off leash dog parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,929,897 times
I can't speak for Matthews but I lived in Huntersville for a time. There is Presbyterian Hospital at Exit 23 off of 77. Birkdale Village is at Exit 25 off of 77 and that intersection is very busy. There is alot of traffic around there in the mornings/night and on the weekends. There is a Vet at the intersection of 73/Statesville Road (which is close to Exit 25). My friends have been taking their dog there for years.

For dog walking I would recommend Jetton Park. It's in the Cornelius area not far from Huntersville. They have nice walking paths and I used to take my dog there for walks. It has some shading so on hot days it's bearable.

In the way of Grocery stores you have Lowes Food, Harris Teeter and I believe there is a Bi-low. There is a Walgreens or CVS on almost every corner.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM

958 posts, read 1,715,965 times
Where will you be working? I live in Matthews and as long as you buy a house in a good school, you should be very happy. Any shopping you want to do, South Park Mall is a 20 min drive.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,633,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
Where will you be working? I live in Matthews and as long as you buy a house in a good school, you should be very happy. Any shopping you want to do, South Park Mall is a 20 min drive.
I agree...this should probably go a long way in determining your choice since Huntersville and Matthews are pretty much on opposite sides of Charlotte...

Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,284,970 times
They are both worth checking out and you probably shouldn't eliminate either based off what people on a message board say.

The amenities are similar. The hospitals are both part of the same company.

The traffic on I-77 can be pretty bad, but is much better at exit 23 and below. But the traffic on 74 can be just as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte