Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:30 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,198,514 times

Advertisements

Yep---I noticed the unmarked cars here. Infact our friend is a with The Concord Police department and he drives an unmarked car. Looks like any other car on the road. Don't be fooled--they are out there! The variety of cars/suv's/trucks they drive are numerous. No need to be scared/concerned by this, just don't do anything to get pulled over for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,924 times
Troopers in NC do not make any extra money when they work the race, football games, the fair or any other events. They leave their family's at home, drive many miles away for the event to keep the public save and receive nothing extra. They risk their lives day in and day out for you. If you want a quicker response to your call talk to you legislator and ask them to get you more trooper's and pay them better so more people will want to do the job.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:40 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,166,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trptug View Post
Troopers in NC do not make any extra money when they work the race, football games, the fair or any other events. They leave their family's at home, drive many miles away for the event to keep the public save and receive nothing extra. They risk their lives day in and day out for you. If you want a quicker response to your call talk to you legislator and ask them to get you more trooper's and pay them better so more people will want to do the job.
Looks like trooper's salary runs 36,000 to 51,000 according to the web http://osp.its.state.nc.us/positiond...001&printit=no

That salary range is appropriate for positions requiring a high school education.

Also I believe there is a solid pension or retirement system, health insurance, dental, etc and decent benefits...

Add in health insurance benefits and such and you are looking at a real standard of living of 65-70,000 a year????

How much more money do trooper's want??? LOL Find that job in the private sector with equivalent education.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:12 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,449,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Looks like trooper's salary runs 36,000 to 51,000 according to the web http://osp.its.state.nc.us/positiond...001&printit=no

That salary range is appropriate for positions requiring a high school education.

Also I believe there is a solid pension or retirement system, health insurance, dental, etc and decent benefits...

Add in health insurance benefits and such and you are looking at a real standard of living of 65-70,000 a year????

How much more money do trooper's want??? LOL Find that job in the private sector with equivalent education.

Takes more than a HS diploma to get a job as a Trooper.
Let's not forget that it takes one hell of an individual to put on that uniform, get in that car each day and not know if they will go home or not because of some idiot or trying to save one's life.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:03 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,785,073 times
Suncc49, you go put that uniform and hat on just for one week and tell me you wouldn't want more money. Take a look at the names on some of the bridges around the state. You'll see "Trooper" on a LOT of them. And they're not named after a Trooper because they did a great job. It's because they were killed.

Get out of your driver's door on the interstate with cars going 70mph just few feet from you and I bet your butt will pucker a good bit. If you don't just evacuate all over yourself. Then add to that the fact that you have no idea if you've pulled over a nice citizen or an armed felon. Now, think of what it would be like at 10pm or 1am.

Believe the job is a cake walk if you think it will make you feel better. But don't come on here and try to tell people Troopers are overpaid.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Suncc49, you go put that uniform and hat on just for one week and tell me you wouldn't want more money. Take a look at the names on some of the bridges around the state. You'll see "Trooper" on a LOT of them. And they're not named after a Trooper because they did a great job. It's because they were killed.

Get out of your driver's door on the interstate with cars going 70mph just few feet from you and I bet your butt will pucker a good bit. If you don't just evacuate all over yourself. Then add to that the fact that you have no idea if you've pulled over a nice citizen or an armed felon. Now, think of what it would be like at 10pm or 1am.

Believe the job is a cake walk if you think it will make you feel better. But don't come on here and try to tell people Troopers are overpaid.
Alright well I could make a strawman argument for any job about why it is underpaid..... BUT the facts are facts and a job in Law Enforcement including benefits is worth at least $65,000 to $70,000 a year here, which is a pretty decent standard of living for Charlotte???? Isn't our median household income in Charlotte around $40,000 ?

Everyone has risks in their work and day to day risks?

Last year 6 law enforcement personnel in North Carolina were killed. In the United States we average 233 police officers per 100,000 people.

North Carolina population 9,400,000 X . 00233 = 21,902 police estimated

6 / 21,902 = .00027394758 probability of accident

I would say that is a pretty low risk considering. I could die tomorrow on my way to work, but I don't ask for extra pay because of it.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Takes more than a HS diploma to get a job as a Trooper.
Let's not forget that it takes one hell of an individual to put on that uniform, get in that car each day and not know if they will go home or not because of some idiot or trying to save one's life.
I can reference the NC personnel website for an NC Trooper job that states that only a High School Diploma required if you like?

Education
As a minimum, an applicant must have graduated from an accredited high school or hold an approved General Education Development Certificate (GED); college or university level education desired..

Old 09-16-2011, 08:35 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,449,285 times
Quote:
I can reference the NC personnel website for an NC Trooper job that states that only a High School Diploma required if you like?

Education
As a minimum, an applicant must have graduated from an accredited high school or hold an approved General Education Development Certificate (GED); college or university level education desired..
In the very link you provided above it clearly states you must have your BLET courses behind you as well. Therefore, it takes more than a HS diploma.

http://osp.its.state.nc.us/positiond...001&printit=no

Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,067,567 times
You don't need BLET (basic law enforcement training) to apply for NCSHP. Here is the basic requirements :NC Department of Crime Control and Public Safety

If you are not currently a certified law enforcement officer in NC (meaning you do not have BLET), you must attend the full school, which is 29 weeks.

If you are certified, then you can attend the "fast track" school which is 16 weeks long and is the trooper focused part of the school.

However, due to the new state budget, which has slashed funding for the Patrol, there is not any "fast track" schools available and the next full basic school is on hold until at least 2012.

As of today I believe the Patrol is about 130 troopers short right now.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:55 PM

359 posts, read 588,589 times
Quote:
Alright well I could make a strawman argument for any job about why it is underpaid..... BUT the facts are facts and a job in Law Enforcement including benefits is worth at least $65,000 to $70,000 a year here, which is a pretty decent standard of living for Charlotte???? Isn't our median household income in Charlotte around $40,000 ?

Everyone has risks in their work and day to day risks?

Last year 6 law enforcement personnel in North Carolina were killed. In the United States we average 233 police officers per 100,000 people.

North Carolina population 9,400,000 X . 00233 = 21,902 police estimated

6 / 21,902 = .00027394758 probability of accident

I would say that is a pretty low risk considering. I could die tomorrow on my way to work, but I don't ask for extra pay because of it.
Please correct your post to change "accident" to "death"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte