U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 PM

42 posts, read 55,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm not really sure what Tampa not being able to sell out a playoff game has to do with this
Ah, the oh so sweet irony of this comment. Ironically, it has everything to do with this. Tampa, with less people within 100 miles, less corporate $$$, a huge population of elderly and retirees, pathetic attendance despite an exciting young team, beaches to provide additional summer competition, and an AWFUL stadium situation that is going NOWHERE with the St. Pete dynamic, would have been oh so sweet here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrvol2012 View Post
Try again. In 2011, the Pirates drew 1,940,429 fans. The Steelers drew 504,279.

FYI, the average economic impact of a MLB team per city on average is over $300 million per season. The average for an NFL team per city per year is $160 million.
Are these supposed to be arguments for MLB or against it?

So in 1/10th the number of games, the Steelers had over 1/4th the attendance of the Pirates, and with 1/10th the number of games, an NFL team has over half of the economic impact of an MLB team. Seems like an NFL team is much more efficient as far as economic impact is concerned.

I don't think anyone would argue that having an MLB team would be bad for the city of Charlotte. Would having an MLB team be bad for any city? The argument is whether or not having a team in Charlotte would be good for MLB. Sure, Charlotte could probably draw better than Tampa or a few other teams, but you don't put a team in a new city if a main reason for doing so is that "well, they might not have the worst attendance in the league."

Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 PM

42 posts, read 55,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Are these supposed to be arguments for MLB or against it?

So in 1/10th the number of games, the Steelers had over 1/4th the attendance of the Pirates, and with 1/10th the number of games, an NFL team has over half of the economic impact of an MLB team. Seems like an NFL team is much more efficient as far as economic impact is concerned.

I don't think anyone would argue that having an MLB team would be bad for the city of Charlotte. Would having an MLB team be bad for any city? The argument is whether or not having a team in Charlotte would be good for MLB. Sure, Charlotte could probably draw better than Tampa or a few other teams, but you don't put a team in a new city if a main reason for doing so is that "well, they might not have the worst attendance in the league."
I grew up in the Charlotte area when it was a small place. The "reach for the sky, we can do anything" vibe is why I've always loved my city. Oddly, it's completely lacking on this issue. The attitude described above in your post sounds extremely timid and weak in my opinion. Even if MLB says, "is Charlotte good for us? We're not sure", we need(ed) leaders and a community with a take no prisoners attitude who, by presenting the facts, will bust down the door of MLB and stop at nothing to get it. Who would have thought Oklahoma City was a big league town for any sport a decade ago? Yet they made it happen will have a title in a major professional sport before we will and their community is rocking as a result. Perceptions are realities and sports truly do carry on the personality of their cities many times. Sure, many psyches are "psyched out" of another professional franchise possibility because our basketball team is a disaster-George Shinn screwed us, Bob Johnson was a joke, the Bobcats name sucks, the colors suck, the team is the worst in league history, etc. Nevermind that we did lead the NBA in attendance for a decade or that many in the area simply prefer college basketball. Has nothing to do with whether we could have been or could be the Oklahoma City of major league baseball. We simply need(ed) strong, confident leaders and a strong, confident community. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 PM

12,395 posts, read 7,452,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrvol2012 View Post
Ah, the oh so sweet irony of this comment. Ironically, it has everything to do with this. Tampa, with less people within 100 miles, less corporate $$$, a huge population of elderly and retirees, pathetic attendance despite an exciting young team, beaches to provide additional summer competition, and an AWFUL stadium situation that is going NOWHERE with the St. Pete dynamic, would have been oh so sweet here.

Tampa's Metro has a million more people then Charlotte's Metro. I'm also thinking that there "100 miles" cannot be much less then Charlotte's as it includes Orlando (a metro of about 500K more then Charlotte) as well as most of Central Florida. Even so, how many people are actually going to drive the 2 hrs to support the games? And don't say they do other things like stay in hotels, and whatever. Most people are not going to stay in a hotel for a 2 hr drive, they will come down that morning and leave after the game. The average person is not going to make a habit out of going to numerous baseball games and spending every weekend in Charlotte.

Also, only about 10% of Tampa's population is over 65 (the elderly and retirees). Which actually shouldn't matter, because being retired doesn't mean you can't go to a baseball game. They're retired, not shut-ins. Have you even ever been to a MLB game? Its not just 20-somethings partying, its the young and the old.

I would hardly call the Ray's an "exciting young team." In the 14 years they've been in Tampa they've made the post season 3 times. It took them 10 years to even make it to their first playoff game. That is most likely the better reason as to why their attendance is low. Just to make a comparison, since Tampa has has a team the St. Louis Cardinals have made it to post season 8 times.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 AM

540 posts, read 1,518,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
My husband is dying, dying I tell ya, because he misses the Braves and we don't get them on Dish. We are southerners through and through and DH would love for Charlotte to have a MLB team. I see what you're saying though.
You don't get the Braves on Dish in Charlotte? You have the right package? We get them on DirecTv and my brother gets them on cable. They're not on TBS anymore, but on sports south or something like that...

you should definitely be getting them.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

Now that Greensboro once again has the largest arena in the state, by far, the situation has changed back to where Greensboro gets the big concerts over Charlotte. National concerts are interested in selling seats and it's a no brainer to go to Greensboro over Charlotte. When two coliseums are just 90 miles apart, the larger one wins.
What "big concerts" does greensboro get, that don't come to charlotte? I know we don't get monster trucks, but oh well!

Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 AM

GREAT - Stay out of uptown! The boogie man will get you! No - seriously, he will!

I go uptown at least once a month, at night even, and fell less threatened than I ever did in NYC or Chicago - Don't know what parts of town you frequent or what kind of people you're "afraid" of but I've had no issues, and would send my kids uptown with no issues either! I don't even see any bums, no get harassed to give them change...uptown is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Having me in your way? Where are you from that other people are IN YOUR WAY?

You can count on that unless our children come home and drag us there. The last time I was in uptown Charlotte at night was before 2000. My mother came to visit and I wanted to show her uptown. We got to the square and she said something about hoping no traffic lights caught us. I told her the gas tank was full and our car doors were locked and the car was almost new so she calmed down a little.

I worked with a girl that did uptown activities at night and she kept me filled in on the terrors she experienced going to live plays. I hope it is safe now, but I doubt it.

We drove uptown about a month ago after having breakfast with friends. We came from Morehead and about two blocks beyond the square did not look safe to us at all. We thought the trees were pretty. My husband made the statement that he felt he was in a strange town that he had never been to before. Then he mentioned how we used to come uptown to shop, go to the movies, etc. Uptown is all yours; you can have it!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
What "big concerts" does greensboro get, that don't come to charlotte? I know we don't get monster trucks, but oh well!
That's a great question...

Madonna, and a few other big acts are coming to Charlotte this year.. she isn't doing Greensboro though.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
GREAT - Stay out of uptown! The boogie man will get you! No - seriously, he will!
NCN's post is a joke.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,938,747 times
Quote:
Kanye West/Jay-Z Watch the Throne tour came there and didn't show here. Pretty much any hip hop show has picked Greensboro over Charlotte in the past. Recently, Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band.

On schedule...
Rod Stewart/Stevie Nicks
Journey/Pat Benatar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or