U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
So cool - woo hoo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,841,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
That's only for people on the far south side of town. Honestly, there's much less traffic on the surface streets in and around uptown than on the highways in the burbs. And very few people are going to make that hour long trip on 77 or 485 or whatever just to go to the game. Not to mention the light rail and other public transportation options will be great for a lot of folks.

This will allow people to go from their offices to a game after work. Or make a day of it by taking the kids to discovery place or imaginon, then the game.

It will also allow the people from huntersville, ucity, davidson, cornelius, plaza midwood and all the other neighborhoods north of the city to go to a game.
Have you ever checked out the crime statistics in Charlotte. Yes, we all really want to drive uptown Charlotte and get mugged today. There are many things that are uptown that we would go to if they were not uptown. I value my life too much to get out of my car uptown. We went to the first First Night uptown and have not been back for anything that we have to get out of the car to do in uptown Charlotte since.

I really don't care because I think baseball is a boring sport but I will be waiting to hear how much money the taxpayers have been cheated out of on this just like they were with the basketball team. I went to that location for an ice show and felt semi-safe. It has been years since I have felt uptown Charlotte was safe. Just watch the news.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Have you ever checked out the crime statistics in Charlotte. Yes, we all really want to drive uptown Charlotte and get mugged today. There are many things that are uptown that we would go to if they were not uptown. I value my life too much to get out of my car uptown. We went to the first First Night uptown and have not been back for anything that we have to get out of the car to do in uptown Charlotte since.

I really don't care because I think baseball is a boring sport but I will be waiting to hear how much money the taxpayers have been cheated out of on this just like they were with the basketball team. I went to that location for an ice show and felt semi-safe. It has been years since I have felt uptown Charlotte was safe. Just watch the news.
Would you rather watch the sensationalist news or listen to someone who lives here and takes late night walks quite regularly? I live here and have at no time felt uncomfortable walking around uptown even late into the night. Plus with an event there will be crowds, which equal more safety from mugging. (which is a really rare occurrence here anyway)

You're really missing out if you believe uptown is dangerous. The news highlights any and everything that goes wrong. I suppose it's your choice to live in fear, but you put yourself in much more danger every day just by getting behind the wheel of a car then you ever would walking around almost any neighborhood in Charlotte.

There is hardly any random crime in uptown. The festival nights have in the past drawn some problems (mostly confined to the troublemakers themselves) but it's one of the safest parts of the city.

My 90-year-old grandmother in law had no issues walking three blocks with us late one Saturday night after a wedding.

Let go of your paranoia. Just exercise common sense and you'll be fine.

Last edited by coped; 06-12-2012 at 12:44 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 AM

351 posts, read 391,419 times
Quote:

Uptown is pretty safe I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
Uptown is pretty safe I don't know what you're talking about.
Sometimes I wonder if NCN is a real person or an actor practicing for a role as a circa-1950s Women's Christian Temperance Union member.

If nothing else, N, your posts are always entertaining.

Last edited by coped; 06-12-2012 at 01:04 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 AM

6,270 posts, read 10,002,067 times
Last year, Charlotte was almost dead last in attendance for AAA Baseball. Tucson was the only team with less support than Charlotte.
Minor league teams ranked by attendance - The Business Journals

However, things were quite different for Charlotte's Minor league Hockey team. For the two years that the Checkers have been an American League team, Charlotte's attendance has been in the top 10.
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League | Home
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League | Home

Keep in mind that Hockey must compete with the NBA and the NFL. Clearly, the Checkers simply enjoy better visibility within the community. It only makes sense that we give the same level of visibility to the Knights.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:50 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,353,324 times
Quote:

LOL... good joke.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,265,111 times
Quote:

I feel sorry for anyone that lives their life this way. Its truly sad

Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 AM

5,872 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Yep. I live essentially in downtown and do 99% of my traveling within 485. I never get caught in traffic.

People are going to park in many different lots and decks, and then there are several different routes out of the city. Whereas at the Fort Mill park, there's only one way in and one way out.
How much do they charge to park at the current stadium anyway? I'd imagine paying higher parking prices may be one complaint but I'd bet it's probably not even much different.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,651,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
How much do they charge to park at the current stadium anyway? I'd imagine paying higher parking prices may be one complaint but I'd bet it's probably not even much different.
$4 per car....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or