Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,678,667 times

Advertisements

Des Moines has a very nice stadium downtown. I went every other week. Lived in Huntersville, NEVER made the trip to SC. You can take this to the bank, a ball park, downtown (or is it uptown, this week), would be THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO CHARLOTTE.

It is kinda genetic, going to the ballpark is special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 03:58 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,660,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It hardly looks worth the enormous amount of money they are demanding from the taxpayers.
Can you specifically define "enormous" in this case? I don't think that's correct.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,436,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Des Moines has a very nice stadium downtown. I went every other week. Lived in Huntersville, NEVER made the trip to SC. You can take this to the bank, a ball park, downtown (or is it uptown, this week), would be THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO CHARLOTTE.

It is kinda genetic, going to the ballpark is special.
What is that Des Moines NFL Football team? What is that Des Moines NBA Basketball team? Not to be ignorant, but is there anything else to really do there i.e. events to spend your money at?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:06 PM

42 posts, read 61,500 times
Building a AAA ballpark from public funds would be the WORST thing to ever happen to Charlotte. Invest/wait for the real thing! Monday is a huge day with the council vote, but Jerry Reese vows to keep fighting regardless. Go Jerry Go!!! http://www.mlbcharlotte.com/pdfs/mlbcharlotte.pdf

Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,357,538 times
Default City Council approves funds for new Knight's Stadium

This just in......

City Council approves Knights stadium funding | WCNC.com Charlotte

Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,529,817 times
My husband and I both think it is a big mistake that the taxpayers will end up paying for like they have always done in the past. Who wants to go through all that traffic to see anything. Getting to Fort Mill is at least a nice drive with cheap gas benefit. So glad we don't live in Charlotte anymore. Taxpayers there are being taken advantage of again. If it can't support itself with ticket sales, it shouldn't be put on the back of the taxpayers.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,995,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My husband and I both think it is a big mistake that the taxpayers will end up paying for like they have always done in the past. Who wants to go through all that traffic to see anything. Getting to Fort Mill is at least a nice drive with cheap gas benefit. So glad we don't live in Charlotte anymore. Taxpayers there are being taken advantage of again. If it can't support itself with ticket sales, it shouldn't be put on the back of the taxpayers.
That's only for people on the far south side of town. Honestly, there's much less traffic on the surface streets in and around uptown than on the highways in the burbs. And very few people are going to make that hour long trip on 77 or 485 or whatever just to go to the game. Not to mention the light rail and other public transportation options will be great for a lot of folks.

This will allow people to go from their offices to a game after work. Or make a day of it by taking the kids to discovery place or imaginon, then the game.

It will also allow the people from huntersville, ucity, davidson, cornelius, plaza midwood and all the other neighborhoods north of the city to go to a game.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,269,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
That's only for people on the far south side of town. Honestly, there's much less traffic on the surface streets in and around uptown than on the highways in the burbs. And very few people are going to make that hour long trip on 77 or 485 or whatever just to go to the game. Not to mention the light rail and other public transportation options will be great for a lot of folks.

This will allow people to go from their offices to a game after work. Or make a day of it by taking the kids to discovery place or imaginon, then the game.

It will also allow the people from huntersville, ucity, davidson, cornelius, plaza midwood and all the other neighborhoods north of the city to go to a game.
Yeah, at first I wasn't sure how many people would want to go uptown and park, etc. for a minor league baseball game, but considering traffic on 77/485 and the fact that for a typical night game you'd be going against most of the traffic to get uptown, it's probably easier to get there than to Fort Mill. I think I realized this last weekend when I realized that after going to concerts at both the TWC Arena and Verizon Ampitheatre that it was actually much easier to get in/out of the TWC arena.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,995,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yeah, at first I wasn't sure how many people would want to go uptown and park, etc. for a minor league baseball game, but considering traffic on 77/485 and the fact that for a typical night game you'd be going against most of the traffic to get uptown, it's probably easier to get there than to Fort Mill. I think I realized this last weekend when I realized that after going to concerts at both the TWC Arena and Verizon Ampitheatre that it was actually much easier to get in/out of the TWC arena.
Yep. I live essentially in downtown and do 99% of my traveling within 485. I never get caught in traffic.

People are going to park in many different lots and decks, and then there are several different routes out of the city. Whereas at the Fort Mill park, there's only one way in and one way out.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,573,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Yep. I live essentially in downtown and do 99% of my traveling within 485. I never get caught in traffic.

People are going to park in many different lots and decks, and then there are several different routes out of the city. Whereas at the Fort Mill park, there's only one way in and one way out.
People don't know how good we have it. Even after a panthers game, and thats 70k traffic is mild compared to other cities. i'm not a big fan of using public money, but hell they would have wasted the 8 million on somthing else anyway.

Traffic won't be an issue with the ballpark. I'd much rather go to uptown than ft mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte