Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:02 AM

407 posts, read 848,714 times

Advertisements

Our water heater is in the attic of our 2 story home. We are there 3-4 days a month and before we leave, I go into the attic and turn the temp down. The rest of the month I worry that there will be a leak and the house will be ruined. Therefore I have considered a tankless system.
On talking to someone, he said in the Charlotte area the tankless system can be mounted on the outside of the house because the low temp are not as extreme as in the North. For me the absence of the worry factor is worth the additional cost.
Does anyone know whether I can just turn off the water to the tank but leave the pilot light on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 AM

821 posts, read 1,847,349 times
From personal experience, check the water pressure coming into your house from where the main line comes into the house. There is probably an outside faucet where the line comes into the house. Go to Lowes and buy a $10.00 water pressure gauge. Check the pressure. Mine was over psi (pounds per square inch). The City water people told Channel 36 reporter it should be 70 psi. Check the pressure on an outside water faucet on the other side of the house to determine the pressure on the inside of the house. Pressure for the backside and inside should be in the 60-65 psi range, according to what a plumber told us.

We paid $400 to install a regulator on our water line because we replaced a leaking water heater -twice with the second under warrant- all because of high water pressure that the City raised so that the good folks in the Ballentyne area can have water pressure. We also had leaking faucets in the kitchen and bathroom, along with toilets leaking. I replaced the hardware in one toilet twice before we got the pressure gauge.

Before going through the mess of a water heater replacement, try checking the pressure, first. Still, if you have high pressure, you will be out $350-$400 for a regulator (Thank you City of Charlotte)

Old 03-03-2012, 10:01 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,163,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
From personal experience, check the water pressure coming into your house from where the main line comes into the house. There is probably an outside faucet where the line comes into the house. Go to Lowes and buy a $10.00 water pressure gauge. Check the pressure. Mine was over psi (pounds per square inch). The City water people told Channel 36 reporter it should be 70 psi. Check the pressure on an outside water faucet on the other side of the house to determine the pressure on the inside of the house. Pressure for the backside and inside should be in the 60-65 psi range, according to what a plumber told us.

We paid $400 to install a regulator on our water line because we replaced a leaking water heater -twice with the second under warrant- all because of high water pressure that the City raised so that the good folks in the Ballentyne area can have water pressure. We also had leaking faucets in the kitchen and bathroom, along with toilets leaking. I replaced the hardware in one toilet twice before we got the pressure gauge.

Before going through the mess of a water heater replacement, try checking the pressure, first. Still, if you have high pressure, you will be out $350-$400 for a regulator (Thank you City of Charlotte)
Isn't the city responsible for keeping the water pressure at a proper level?

Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 736 times
Default Water Heater Leaking

Leaking boilers often have incorrect drainage devices. Securing or changing drainage devices might remove the problem.The instant you possess an electric power water heater,then cold water water leaks are sometimes due to heating unit gaskets. Electric power heaters might need fitting a fresh gasket to prevent hot waters with seeping.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,951,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Isn't the city responsible for keeping the water pressure at a proper level?
No.

Current building code requires a pressure reducing valve if the water pressure coming to the house is greater than 80 psi. I'd recommend putting on a valve for a lot less than that.

CMUD has 3 pumping stations, 1 - Lake Norman, 2 - Mountain Island Lake, and that water is forced through the system all over the county. Hence, there are going to be some areas where the pressure is quite high, and others that will just barely get water during drought periods when everyone is watering their lawn.

Since I live at Lake Norman, the pressure here is quite high and there is a reducing valve on the house. However the builder put one outdoor faucet on the full pressure side of the line, and water comes out of that faucet like a fire hose. The pressure is so high that it eventually cracked the brass housing on the faucet and I had to stop using it because it could not be shut off if turned on. I can imagine what it would have done to a hot water tank or anything else like the plastic tubing inside a fridge.

Eventually I had a plumber replace that faucet with a high strength commercial version and it's quite nice to have a hose with that kind of pressure on it. I had to get a commercial hose because the pressure will split a standard one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte