U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:08 PM

396 posts, read 1,502,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
In all honesty I'm not sure it's a Northern problem. I think it's just that people (from all areas) are just so self absorbed and lack common everyday manners. I'm a southerner, have lived in NC most all my life except for a few years moving to other states with my husband. I'd like to think we're above that but it's not totally true.

If we could all practice consideration for others, keep our voices under control when we're engaged in private conversation and realize that our lives, our children, our pet peeves are not foremost in everyone else's lives I think we and our neighbors would be happier.

It's a manners thing.
Excellent posts all of you!! I wish I had been brave enough to write it stmaarten!! Don't even get me started about the crazy, obviously from NJ, woman in TJMaxx screaming at someone in her cell phone. I frankly did not want to know why she hated her sister in law....but now I do.
Good job, Ladies!!!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:10 PM

396 posts, read 1,502,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmac View Post
stmaarten----thanks for a good laugh!! You had me crackin' up!! I am a transplant from NJ and know exactly what you mean!!! We have alot of what you described in my neighborhood!!! I love the South and my family and I will never go back to NJ!!!

There is only one thing I would change here------I do not understand why they start the elementary schools so early. We have a 7:40 start, my kids are shot after all week getting up that early for school!!! Just wanted to mention that ....other than that I love it here!!!!
The kids are shot??? Heck, I'm the one who needs a nap by Friday

Old 09-08-2007, 09:11 PM

928 posts, read 3,535,435 times
Thanks southern lady. I really think being a transplant has made me alot nicer, especially if that magical tea keeps pouring. In Buffalo we have our wings, but the sweet tea (at least to me) is something I love and look forward to everyday.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
The kids are shot??? Heck, I'm the one who needs a nap by Friday

This is a valid concern and not a complaint, in my opinion. With the choice busing you have to bus so many kids so many places so they start their days pretty early. I wish the bussing could be different and the kids diddn't have to suffer. I know people who have kids at multiple schools, it's a logistics nightmare. This is a valid complaint, in my 2cents of validity.

Good Night Charlotte we Yankee's Love Ya.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:17 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,117,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
.....In Buffalo we have our wings, but the sweet tea (at least to me) is something I love and look forward to everyday.
and sausage biscuits.... oops, off topic....

Old 09-08-2007, 09:23 PM

536 posts, read 1,541,956 times
Lightbulb Memories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmac View Post
stmaarten----thanks for a good laugh!! You had me crackin' up!! I am a transplant from NJ and know exactly what you mean!!! We have alot of what you described in my neighborhood!!! I love the South and my family and I will never go back to NJ!!!

There is only one thing I would change here------I do not understand why they start the elementary schools so early. We have a 7:40 start, my kids are shot after all week getting up that early for school!!! Just wanted to mention that ....other than that I love it here!!!!
I too got a kick out of this!

I remember when I was a kid growing up on Lawn Guyland, and standing outside in the dark waiting for the bus. Now either my parents wanted to kick me out early, or we started school real early. I distincly remember it was winter. Then when I was in High School I remember catching the bus at 7:30. Damn school times always making me get up early!

Anyway I have a theory on why the grade school kids start so early and the high school kids go later. I think it could be so the high school kids have less time to get into trouble after school. Oh, what I did not do from 2:06 till 5:30 when I was in High school!

My kids are in Grade school. What time does the High school let out?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
and sausage biscuits.... oops, off topic....
Sorry, i don't eat sausage or biscuits - but you for got the sister of them all biscuits and gravey.

I do like Chick fil A chicken biscuit with that butter dipped on there. However, I am such a picky eater.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:54 AM

100 posts, read 325,817 times
Default in agreement

All i have to say is that when youare in ROme do as the Romans do. I follow that old saying all the time.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:56 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,286,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingcharlotte1966 View Post
All i have to say is that when youare in ROme do as the Romans do. I follow that old saying all the time.
But when you pay taxes you buy yourself that bit of say in what goes on, hence the line "I'm a taxpayer, I know my rights".

Old 09-09-2007, 07:16 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,171,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
But when you pay taxes you buy yourself that bit of say in what goes on, hence the line "I'm a taxpayer, I know my rights".
It's the delivery of your "say in what goes on", though.
I'll bet that once you move back to New Jersey (you are still moving back, aren't you), you'll notice a remarkable difference in attitude. Northerners pride themselves on the fact that we don't hide much in the way of telling people how we feel. "What you see is what you get. In your face. If you don't like what I have to say, so what, etc." I used to appreciate that too, but since I've gotten to know a bit of Southern restraint, I've come to appreciate that not every single one of my opinions has to be "in someone's face". I don't need to change things, I need to adjust and appreciate. Of course, I'm fully aware of the not-so-well-meaning "bless your heart" remarks. Those statements are very similar to the "in your face" comments, the delivery is just nicer.
I think businessperson has a point, it's a manners thing. But some have more than others, if you now what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or