U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 24,172 times

Advertisements

I was raised in Fl by a very southern Mom and grew up on southern hospitality and grits! Hopefully I will soon be moving from NH to Charlotte and I can't wait to be living in gentility again. It is great in NH, but not like the south at all. I think many times Northerners do not understand that the kindness and gentle ways are bred into the true Southerners. I am really hoping Charlotte will not lose this as this is the way I want to live!!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:39 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,488,966 times
Okay...I'm a transplant from CA and I hear there are many of us! I have a son who moved here 18 years ago and fell in love with the area...never once looked back or wished it was anything like CA. nor cared to return to CA. Many of our friends also moved here years ago, most are involved with NASCAR. They loved it too and never once said they missed anything about CA. So we finally made the big move and you know what---we don't miss anything about CA (except my children who are just starting their own families in CA.). The last thing we would ever want is anything to be like CA. That is precisely "why" we left. I love the new and different way of living. I love the people. If it was like CA why in the world would I have ever moved here??? So, personally, everyone "I" know has had no desire for NC to be anything like CA but instead, now embrace it as their home.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:42 AM

241 posts, read 681,929 times
Yes, I see this issue as well. Luckily, the neighborhood we live in is mostly locals or carolinians. We are from RI, but lived down here previously so we knew what we were getting ourselves into.Our fear before moving here was living in a creation of a New York or New Jersey neighborhood. I am thinking subdivisions with certain price ranges attract the transplants. Bottom line, move back up north if you arent happy, and remember nobody made you move down here. I would like to know why these folks move down here to begin with! It is so obvious when I come across a transplant who hasnt adjusted to his or her new environs. I find it sad that locals or transplants that have adjusted, still have to deal with that northeast mentality. For the disgruntled transplants reading this, change your attitude so we dont feel we are still living 900 miles away in NY, MA, or NJ. Just get over it and be lucky to be living in such a wonderful part of this country. Even better, they can move back to NY and NJ where they fit in MUCH better!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,288,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
It's the delivery of your "say in what goes on", though.
I'll bet that once you move back to New Jersey (you are still moving back, aren't you), you'll notice a remarkable difference in attitude. Northerners pride themselves on the fact that we don't hide much in the way of telling people how we feel. "What you see is what you get. In your face. If you don't like what I have to say, so what, etc." I used to appreciate that too, but since I've gotten to know a bit of Southern restraint, I've come to appreciate that not every single one of my opinions has to be "in someone's face". I don't need to change things, I need to adjust and appreciate. Of course, I'm fully aware of the not-so-well-meaning "bless your heart" remarks. Those statements are very similar to the "in your face" comments, the delivery is just nicer.
I think businessperson has a point, it's a manners thing. But some have more than others, if you now what I mean.
To be totally honest there are so many northerners around here I don't see that much of a difference in people any longer. I was back up in NJ a few weeks ago (heading back again this coming weekend) and it struck me that it's kind of the same with an extra "hi, how are ya" thrown in. Down here I still gate tailgated, I got flipped off a week or so ago, still see the angry parents in the grocery store (which stuns me to no end). It ain't all that much different.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 PM

928 posts, read 3,535,841 times
Thanks for the points liz.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:24 PM

928 posts, read 3,535,841 times
I cannot seem to get the post to let me edit it. I have updated my profile. I have offically left Charlotte, but I won't be leaving the message boards. I am still in NC and I'm not leaving NC for all the sweet tea in the world. I have to say the people where I moved are even nicer and there's less traffic.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:29 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,794,349 times
X you arent in NC anymore? im sorry im a bit confused this evening..LOL

Old 09-09-2007, 06:40 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,350,450 times
Quote:
I cannot seem to get the post to let me edit it. I have updated my profile. I have offically left Charlotte, but I won't be leaving the message boards. I am still in NC and I'm not leaving NC for all the sweet tea in the world. I have to say the people where I moved are even nicer and there's less traffic.
After 90 mins you can't edit the post. If you still want it edited, use the little red triangle on that post. That will bring up a box that normally will report a post for something bad but you can also let a moderator know you want it edited and what you want edited out of it. Liz

Old 09-09-2007, 08:41 PM

282 posts, read 1,068,009 times
Default Why *some* Northerners are ruining the Southern way of life in Charlotte

In all honesty I don't think that's fair. I remember when the southners flocked up here for jobs in the 70's. Now WE want a softer life and you bust our chops. You must be too young to remember that.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,794,349 times
actually most of us arent that young...and alot of southerns apparently didnt stay..it is a fair comment, As for most its all about the money and what they can buy here etc, and at that point it is the mentality and not saying its all as like ive said alot of us are from NY or NJ or Pa or CT it just amazes me that people ONLY move here for a bigger house and things they never had back home..and that is the truth for some...for us it was we needed a change in life and were tired of the mentality back home and the schools and we needed a new chapter...it obviously helps that the cost of living is lower...when we first started this it was for financial reasons however it became less important in what we wanted than opposed to what we need and will be happy with...once again alot of people moving here cant say that..the 1st they say is "oh its cheap to live down there" and I have to agree with the OP and the others if your NOT happy then go back...We never forgot where we came from..

Anywhere you go you either adapt and embrace it or dont...at that point you will NOT be happy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or