U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 01:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,113,303 times

Advertisements

My opinion on Charlotte is that it doesn't want to be Southern. I don't want to bash the city- but its a very plastic, soul-less city. Its like Northern Virginia in many ways. No character or soul.

Richmond and other southern cities have a distinctive charm and are very unique while Charlotte is just kind of a boom town.

Northerners are all over the South, and they want to live here. I say let them. They bring money in.
For every rude Yankee I've met, there are 10 nice ones.

Charlotte is really kind of bland in many respects.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
My opinion on Charlotte is that it doesn't want to be Southern. I don't want to bash the city- but its a very plastic, soul-less city. Its like Northern Virginia in many ways. No character or soul.

Richmond and other southern cities have a distinctive charm and are very unique while Charlotte is just kind of a boom town.

Northerners are all over the South, and they want to live here. I say let them. They bring money in.

Charlotte is really bland.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,423,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
HAHA AWESOME!

As for vasinger-- well, guess you should be glad you don't live here then, eh? I don't have great things to say about Richmond, but I'm not going over to your board with my thoughts as my thoughts as a non-resident are not really applicable and may not be accurate, right?

Old 09-10-2007, 01:55 PM

38 posts, read 115,397 times
forgive the ignorance...but as someone that intends on relocating to Charlotte in the near future, I can't help but notice the northerners or transplants versus the southerners or locals. Is this the general atmosphere there? North vs. South?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:03 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,770,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSage2 View Post
forgive the ignorance...but as someone that intends on relocating to Charlotte in the near future, I can't help but notice the northerners or transplants versus the southerners or locals. Is this the general atmosphere there? North vs. South?
Naw, it really isn't. Natives marry transplants and vice versa, natives have transplant friends and vice versa. Actually, most people get along pretty well. I am engaged to a southerner, my manager is from Nashville and just married an Italian guy from WNY.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:10 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,755,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Naw, it really isn't. Natives marry transplants and vice versa, natives have transplant friends and vice versa. Actually, most people get along pretty well. I am engaged to a southerner, my manager is from Nashville and just married an Italian guy from WNY.
Oh my goodness! Reality....what will we do?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:23 PM

32 posts, read 80,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
I think the big difference is those southerners did not drive up your housing prices to make places that were affordable one year out-of-reach 18 months later. Also, I doubt they bellyached ad nauseum as to why you all did not have pig pickin's and sweet tea or Harris Teeters instead of Wegmans.
mmm,pig pickin's.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:39 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,770,246 times
My uncle in Detroit had a pig picking every year until one year he got drunk and passed out and all the meat went bad.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:29 PM

755 posts, read 2,242,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Alexandria has a LOT of character.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 PM

755 posts, read 2,242,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
Around here, everything is a status thing- from the size of your house, the size of your car, right down to who has more CD's or DVD's and I can't take it anymore.
You aren't going to escape that in Charlotte - especially not South Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or