Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:24 PM

8 posts, read 25,844 times

Advertisements

We could have the opportunity to move to southern Charlotte (somewhat near Matthews).. depending on how my husband's next interview goes. We were originally hoping for Asheville due to the increase in eco-friendly builders in that area but the job market hasn't been kind. So, my question is, does such a thing exist in Charlotte? We'd ideally like to spend around $200-250,000. We're not big on the "extras" in a house or huge houses. We want quality and earth friendly. We currently have one child so the area will matter in terms of schools, but just wondering what our options are. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 07:28 PM

237 posts, read 298,576 times
Earth friendly would mean buying an existing home and upgrading insulation, installing new ac/heater, and energy star appliances.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsqm3 View Post
Earth friendly would mean buying an existing home and upgrading insulation, installing new ac/heater, and energy star appliances.
Great point.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the "help." Guess these boards aren't what I thought they were... An already built house would have flooring and paint with chemicals in them. We wanted to be able to use recycled and renewable building materials in the home, and have enough land to have a garden. We want a tankless water heater, low flush toilets, etc.

So an existing home that we'd have to pretty much tear apart and throw everything away doesn't make sense. Building on land already zoned for residential use, where someone else would build a home regardless is what we're hoping to do.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:20 AM

390 posts, read 1,515,000 times
I don't know of any eco-friendly builders in Charlotte - it's full of production builders, and it would be especially hard to find an earth-friendly builder at that price point. Most of the builders around here build as quickly and inexpensively as they can. Not to say you can't get good product, but not what you're looking for. That's why we say a good way to be earth friendly in Charlotte is to recycle an existing home. Then you avoid consuming the core building materials again - some of which are not available in recycled form.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:58 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,346 times
Off the top of my head I can't think of any builders in that price point that meets your needs. I did a quick search and found this

Quote:
Charlotte, N.C. – Tour-goers still have one week to see the six custom-designed homes during HomeArama at the Sanctuary. Those who have seen the homes and the community come away amazed. Charlotte magazine was also impressed with the Sanctuary, naming it Charlotte’s “Best Eco-Friendly Development.â€And, even more excitement is coming to the Sanctuary later this month, as The Camp, the community’s 17-acre waterfront amenity area, officially opens to residents.
Current homes in The Sancturary are selling for 1 to 2 million dollars. The Sactuary is in the Steele Creek area, not southeast Charlotte/Matthews so you may be able to find something there. I'm sure that somebody here can help you.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the replies.. I've been shocked to find most of the new eco-friendly homes are in the extremely high price bracket and mega-homes. Heating and cooling a 5000 sq ft house seems an insane waste! We're definitely looking in areas for an already built home that we could remodel if we aren't able to find what we're looking for... but are hoping to avoid the production homes that are popping up all over the place. Any suggestions for SE Charlotte areas with established (non- cookie cutter cheaply made homes) in family friendly neighborhoods? Thanks again for the help!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsqm3 View Post
Hey, you beat me to this answer! Good job

Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Older neighborhoods in your price range don't tend to have the best schools I'm afraid, but there are a few. Here is an example of an almost 20 year old home that might need some minor updating to make it more eco-friendly. The schools for this neighborhood - Sardis Plantation- are all good. Very good.

Charlotte NC Homes For Sale, Houses for sale, houses, real estate, for sale - helenadamsrealty.com

Old 09-09-2007, 01:19 PM

Okay, I found another in the same great school district. Again, it is older, but the neighborhood is nice and established and at the price they are askin you could probably retrofit it to make it more eco-friendly easily.

Charlotte NC Homes For Sale, Houses for sale, houses, real estate, for sale - helenadamsrealty.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte