U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 8,410 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My family is moving to Charlotte this fall because my husband has a new position at UNC. We have 2 kids (3 yo and 3months). We currently live in Boston and enjoy the amenities of the city. We are debating on where to live in Charlotte.

My husbands POV:
Live intown and be close to amenities.
How is the school system intown?
Are there safe, family friendly areas with walkable amenities?
How is the culture of Charlotte?
We want a single family house. Does this exist intown or is it all condos/town homes?

My POV:
Move to the suburbs with a good school system.
Get the kids a home where they'll have a big backyard to have fun in.
What areas have great school systems?
What is the commute time to UNC?

Budget is of course a concern. We'd like to stay under 375k.

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 8,410 times
Wow, no replies except from realtors....geez!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 PM

85 posts, read 160,477 times
What is the commute time to UNC?

2 Hours 37 minutes according to google.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwang77 View Post
Wow, no replies except from realtors....geez!
Actually, not too many realtors post here. If any of them dm'ed you it was to avoid violating the TOS

With his job out at UNCC you would be much better off trying to live in that direction. Uptown Charlotte is not very family friendly, though if you really want to be a little more urban in older established areas you could try looking at some of the bungalows in Dilworth. Unfortunately, your budget won't allow for much house close to uptown though.

Please know that Charlotte is a very suburban city in general, so don't expect to find much of an urban atmosphere anywhere.

In addition, there are "amenities" all over the metro, so you don't have to live "in town" to have access to them.

The school system is a large county wide system. There are no districts. All public schools in Charlotte and the surrounding towns in Mecklenburg county are part of one big system.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 03-07-2012 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Loves gave you good info, but I would like to expand a bit on several of the things she mentioned.

When you say amenities . . . I assume you mean everything from retail shops, big box stores, chain restaurants as well as independent restaurants, post office, grocery stores, etc. Those things are actually going to be in more of a concentration and easier to access in the outlying areas of Charlotte than in town.

I live in S. Charlotte and have all the things I mentioned, plus dentists, salons, dry cleaners, pharmacy, etc within about 1.5 miles of my door - and all concentrated - so I can run errands and hit everything I need with hardly any driving. It is not the most walkable area but then - IMO - very little of Charlotte is walkable in the sense of being able to walk out your front door and complete all your tasks walking on sidewalks and not dealing with heavy traffic to cross. There are nice parks and some neighborhoods have access to green space to walk in.

I don't know that you will want to live in S. Charlotte and commute to UNC-Charlotte, but there are many places (not right in the city) that will give you a 35 min or less commute. I think if you shoot for that, you and your hubby will get all - or at least most - of the things on each of your lists.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,740,545 times
A lot of people who work at UNCC but who want to live in the city choose Plaza Midwood, however the schools are not good in that area. Getting into a magnet (they are numerous but entry is not guaranteed) is a must, or private schools. Another city neighborhood with an easier commute is Elizabeth - it currently feeds into very good schools (so is pricier). Both the above neighborhoods have lots of cute older homes.
Another recommendation is Cotswold area. That neighborhood feeds into very good schools (Cotswold elementary, AG Middle, Myers Park HS). It's also the best commute to UNCC from the south end of Charlotte and only 10-15 minutes from Uptown. It will really depend on your budget - as this is a pricey area.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 AM

49 posts, read 102,035 times
I think you're confused. UNC means UNC-Chapel Hill NOT UNC-Charlotte. Carolina also means Chapel Hill. I assume you are referring to Charlotte though. Charlotte is a fairly big city with a lot of smaller towns around it. It could take over an hour to get from one part of Charlotte to the college. My boyfriend's mother teaches at CPCC and lives in South Charlotte. It normally takes her about 45 mins to get to work - she works in the uptown location. Maybe you should try the Huntersville/Davidson/Lake Norman area. I hear it's pretty nice. As far as schools go, I hear Charlotte-Meck has a terrible reputation. Make sure you research the schools before settling on an area. Just about everywhere you go in Charlotte, you will find shopping/bars/entertainment. I think you'll do well with a 375K budget too.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 AM

3,411 posts, read 3,204,000 times
You could always try parts of Cabarrus County. You could look in the neighborhoods of Highland Creek, Skybrook, Winding Walk & maybe even Cannon Crosssing. Look at the school pryramids of Cox Mill elementary, Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill High. We could be around UNCC in about 25-30 minutes from any of those neighborhoods.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,740,545 times
CMS does not have a terrible reputation overall- certain schools within CMS have a terrible reputation - others have an excellent reputation. You have to inform yourselves about schools before you decide where to live. As a whole, CMS is well regarded among urban school districts.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM

52 posts, read 122,862 times
Harrisburg a very cute town just before Concord on the NC29 or NC 49. Very easy commute to UNCC and school district is Cabarrus. It is about 30-40 minute commute to Uptown Charlotte.

Another area you may want to consider is Mint Hill or Matthews a quick commute on the I485 outer loop may wwork for your husband's commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte