U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,993,242 times

Advertisements

I know a friend of Mr. Gay's.

I'll be very interested in hearing the skinny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
There are numerous possibilities regarding what happened and how. The sad thing is that we will probably never know the truth about what happened. One half of the story died that night.

I'd really like to know, for curiosity sake, what was said the to the girlfriends to trigger that sort of reaction. Again, we may never know.

If you've already got a job lined up, where you go to law school isn't very important. He might have picked Charlotte because he thought it would be easier.
Very good points, Spanky.

Something has really been bothering me what has been reported thus far. The way I understood it, Gay's attorney either said or suggested that the altercation occurred after Kingston touched ("put his hands on") Gay's girlfriend. I guess that is supposed to be the what triggered Gay's anger and assault on Kingston.

But what the media reported as being on the video surveillance tape was Kingston "leaning in" towards Gay's girlfriend - no mention of any physical contact, at all.

What I want to know is . . . what really triggered Gay? If Kingston did not even touch the guy's g/f . . . what on earth could have possibly ticked Gay off that much? I mean, even if Kingston HAD hugged the girl or given her a big ole kiss, Gay's actions were still way out of line . . . but if the tape doesn't show Kingston doing a thing, then it seems to me Gay's attorney offered a plausible defense, but not necessarily an accurate one.

I wonder if we will ever find out a complete second by second description of what is on that video tape. I guess, in the big picture, it isn't important that the public finds that out - as long as the jury examines it.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I know a friend of Mr. Gay's.

I'll be very interested in hearing the skinny.
The big thing that folks have voiced to me (and that I am curious about, as well): has he ever appeared to have anger management issues? If he hasn't displayed that kind of problem in the past, it makes this whole situation even more baffling.

That may be something we will never hear discussed.

Meanwhile, I know many people are wishing there were some way that we could express our condolences to Kingston's parents and his fiancee.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM

6,032 posts, read 7,534,606 times
Even if Kingston had groped her, it is not a justifiable responsible response and completely irrational.

Gay seems to have had some sort of psychological snap and killed him in cold blood.

Any idea on why Kingston wasn't resisting? If someone tried dragging me out of the bar, they would end up on their backside.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Even if Kingston had groped her, it is not a justifiable responsible response and completely irrational.

Gay seems to have had some sort of psychological snap and killed him in cold blood.

Any idea on why Kingston wasn't resisting? If someone tried dragging me out of the bar, they would end up on their backside.
That has stayed on my mind, too, as I keep putting my son in Kingston's place - and he is the type to try to de-escalate things, especially if he has no idea why someone is suddenly being aggressive to him. So I have wondered if Kingston thought the guy had something he wanted to discuss with him where it wasn't noisy (outside) and then suddenly things got violent - and totally took him by surprise.

And I so agree . . . even if Kingston had made some really obscene gesture toward the girl - the whole scene from there out was wacked.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,349,304 times
Quote:

I bet Kingston wasn't resisting because he had no reason to feel like he was about to get into an altercation. Plenty of guys will ask for a smoke or get a guy to let their guard down with jokes before sucker punching them.

One thing I wonder about....and I'm just wondering....is if Gay's girlfriend knew he was the jealous type? Is he? I don't know...

Maybe she looked at the victim one too many times and it gave him the impression that she was single or approachable?

Maybe Gay has a history of defending his honor anytime a a guy approaches his GF?

I know some females who aren't having a good time unless they are making their boyfriends jealous when they go out. Sounds crazy but some females love attention.

Not saying this is the case but it sure sounds like Gay finally snapped... just not sure why.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,453,427 times
At this point, there's probably little value in speculating anything that happened that night.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM

6,032 posts, read 7,534,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
At this point, there's probably little value in speculating anything that happened that night.
then I guess we should quit reading c/d forums...

Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
then I guess we should quit reading c/d forums...
And watching the news . . .

Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,453,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And watching the news . . .
True. But the news shouldn't ever speculate about a story, just report it....I kinda expect it on a web forum, of course. You see it all the time though, were a news broadcast will speculate/exaggerate/sex-up a story and next thing you know they've created a bunch of ill-informed gossips, who run-around spreading baseless theories, all the while able to correctly claim "It was on the news!" This is a general statement regarding news broadcasting and 'journalism' and not anything specific to this story, which I haven't followed at all.

I think one of the links showed a media headline that said "Former UNC football player charged with murder". The guy's involvement with UNC football is so insignificant that it serves no purpose to include that. He probably spent more time in his life collecting stamps, but it doesn't say - nor should it - "Former philatelist charged with murder"

If the news needed an adjective just stick with 'a$$hole' - based on the circumstances that certainly appears to be a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte