U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,418,209 times

Advertisements

Different type for sure. Charleston has/had the Gone With the Wind, Southern Belle type of southern charm. NC, well, the NASCAR, double-wide kind of southern vibe. That may not be truly accurate, but I'm stuffing my face with breakfast and can't think of a better comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Different type for sure. Charleston has/had the Gone With the Wind, Southern Belle type of southern charm. NC, well, the NASCAR, double-wide kind of southern vibe. That may not be truly accurate, but I'm stuffing my face with breakfast and can't think of a better comparison.
Well . . . rural NC charm was the BBQ, church covered dish, fish fry, county fair, square dancing at the community center, bootlegging, canning your homegrown veggies, country store, pontoon boats on the lake, old tire swings, hand-made goods, turkey hunting, local high school sports type of Southern-ness.

For the college educated, more "citified" - as well as the country club crowd - a lot of the traditions are still very much alive, but kept in tight knit circles. There are still debutantes, bow ties, formal brunches, Southern Living style parties (cocktail parties; garden parties) for no reason - replete with piano bar, everyone in tuxes. It is still here . . . just not that visible - and by invitation only, lol. Plenty of folks still don preppy southern duds and party on yachts, or on decks or at the club.

And no way you are gonna tear a native away from his/her alma mater sports . . .

Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,418,209 times
Not a chance of tearing away the sports. Duke and Carolina are as much religion in NC as any church.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,201,216 times
Charlotte makes the people from Deliverance look like Ivy League school graduates HAHAHA Git me my banjo and chewin tobacky Betty Jo YEEEHAAAAAWWWW

Old 03-07-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
Charlotte makes the people from Deliverance look like Ivy League school graduates HAHAHA Git me my banjo and chewin tobacky Betty Jo YEEEHAAAAAWWWW
Don't you like banjos? And that homegrown tobacky is mighty special, especially when enjoyed w/ some white lightnin'

Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM

24 posts, read 38,256 times
i just got back from the new Wal Mart off 74, this is the conversation i got into:
Cashier1: Charlotte is country, country in thought, country in mentality, beautiful but country country.
Cashier2:Yep you said it girl, this country ass place, i hate it here.
Me:Where are you two from?"
Cashier1o what now?
Cashier2:What'd he say about me?
Cashier1:Oh i sorry, we from Detroit.What is this?
Me:That's a zucchini.
Cashier1:Hey how you spell zucchini. Is zucchini with a Z?
Me:Yes it is.
Cashier1:Yeah i miss Detroit.
Me:Why don't you go back there.
Cashier1:More work here in Charlotte.
Cashier2:Yall talkin bout Detroit, that's my city. A real city.
Me:You think Detroit might not have collapsed if it wasn't so urban?
Cashier1:What do you mean?
Cashier2:What'd he say?
Me:I mean if Detroit was say a bit more country do you think it'd be in better shape?
Cashier1:What do you mean. Your change is 27 cents.
Me:Thank you.
Cashier1:Uh huh.
(me walking away)
Cashier2:He's a cute white boy.
Cashier1o what? Girl stop it. When's your break?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,871,493 times
Generally, no urban area is going to feel "southern" because I think people associate the South with small-town agrarian economies--which is what it was historically. People associate urbaness (if that's a real world) with Northeastern industrial cities. I don't think being both urban and Southern is possible.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff323 View Post
i just got back from the new Wal Mart off 74, this is the conversation i got into:
Cashier1: Charlotte is country, country in thought, country in mentality, beautiful but country country.
Cashier1o what now?
Me:I mean if Detroit was say a bit more country do you think it'd be in better shape?
(me walking away)
ROFLMAO!

If you aren't a professional writer, you missed your calling, fer shur. I could just hear that conversation.

Is that true? Are you a cute white boy? hee hee hee

Maybe the cashiers are from South Detroit. That's about as Southern as I can imagine they would be, lol.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 AM

6,270 posts, read 10,003,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff323 View Post
Cashier1o what now?
(me walking away)
^And you'd have the same conversation on almost any transit bus route (especially within the transit center itself). This all goes back to Charlotte being considered "anywhere USA". Charlotte is not a city where one can be dropped off blind-folded and still identify what region they're in. New Orleans, Norfolk, Charleston and such are cities with "identities"; Charlotte is not (which to me actually makes Charlotte more desirable). Charlotte is the type of city where everyone can find their social group. IMO, this is probably one of the biggest reasons why people stay here. Jobs bring folks in, but the culture (or lack there of) is why so many of those folks stay here (even after losing the job that brought them here).

The bottomline is that few cities with high growth have an "identity". For that, one would have to look at slower growth cities that have retained generations of natives.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM

3,455 posts, read 3,138,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
^And you'd have the same conversation on almost any transit bus route (especially within the transit center itself). This all goes back to Charlotte being considered "anywhere USA". Charlotte is not a city where one can be dropped off blind-folded and still identify what region they're in. New Orleans, Norfolk, Charleston and such are cities with "identities"; Charlotte is not (which to me actually makes Charlotte more desirable). Charlotte is the type of city where everyone can find their social group. IMO, this is probably one of the biggest reasons why people stay here. Jobs bring folks in, but the culture (or lack there of) is why so many of those folks stay here (even after losing the job that brought them here).

The bottomline is that few cities with high growth have an "identity". For that, one would have to look at slower growth cities that have retained generations of natives.
LOL, people in and around the Detroit metro (and most major cities) are country as hell, too. I'm not sure about the identity factor other than historical architecture and special cuisines, the south is the south. I think cities like Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh were at the forefront of the sunbelt pro-growth movement and benefit from the beeline migration of the populated northeastern crowd.

As Outkast/Andre 3000 phrased it, "I'm not country, just simply southern".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte