Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 15,089 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are planning a move to Charlotte in the middle of May. We've never been to the city (except that one time I had a layover for a half hour -- it looked pretty from the terminal!) so we really have no idea what to go on.

We're a young couple (early 20s), who would love to be in the middle of the city where all the action is, but wouldn't mind living a bit further out if it gave us more room (for stuff, puppies, etc.). We'd really like a house so we can feel settled in and have room to spread out, but we also love loft living. Ideally we're looking for a younger neighborhood that offers plenty to keep us occupied -- parks, museums, restaurants, and the like. I should say that we're both historians, so a good bit of historical significance in an area would be pretty cool, though not necessary.

We've spent the past two years in Houston (Montrose and Med Center for those familiar with the area), and I'm originally from New Jersey right outside of NYC, so we're pretty used to city life. On the other hand, we are accustomed to a good bit of space and peace and quiet, having lived in rural areas of NY and PA. We've never been to Charlotte, so we really don't know what it has to offer, or what to expect as far as housing goes.

Ideally, we'd like something around $1,000 a month (renting). We don't have any kids, and we're not looking for a "forever" place, just yet. Anywhere in the city will do, as we don't have formal jobs, and don't need to worry about a commute.

We chose Charlotte as our next destination for a couple of reasons: affordability, weather, and size being the most important. We HATE the Houston summers, and having to drive a half hour to get anywhere in this city is not something we enjoy. We also didn't want to move too far north because its just too expensive, and we don't miss waking up and extra 3 hours early to shovel and dig our cars out.

I've been looking around at previous posts, but none really fit our description. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch in advance!!!

-Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,428,182 times
Love your name - it's one of my fave's, so how can I not help you?

The thing is, to get a house in an area like you describe your budget might not be quite big enough. Can you bump it up a few hundred just in case?

Look for rental homes in places like Elizabeth, Dilworth, Chantilly or Plaza Midwood.

There are some lofts you might want to check out in the NoDa neighborhood too, called Fat City. I don't always recommend NoDa but these are in the middle of the neighborhood, right within walking distance of a lot of things and would be pretty safe. Fat City Lofts, NoDa Apartments in Charlotte, NC near Plaza Midwood and Uptown

Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,583,166 times
OP, I would strongly recommend that you come visit before you make a definitive choice to move here sight unseen (and a quick stop at the airport really doesn't count). There are parts of Charlotte that are very urban, but a good chunk of the city would be better described as suburbanish. There are areas that would meet your needs, Myers Park comes to mind, but unless you can actually visit, get a feel for what Charlotte has to offer, actually visit the museums and parks to see if they will satisfy what you are looking for, ect. it would be difficult to truly know if this is the type of city that you are looking for.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:52 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,324,052 times
Take a look at the 4th Ward, AKA "The Historic Fourth Ward." My wife always takes visitors on walks through that area because it is so charming, historic and convenient to the downtown area.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:12 PM

We plan on visiting within the next month or so, but I wanted to check here first to see what neighborhoods we'd need to focus on, instead of showing up and flying blind. I'm getting the notion that south of uptown is really all that's worth looking at.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 PM

I also wanted to ask if there was any website like HAR.com : Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors, TX Homes for Charlotte -- padmapper and zillow are great but something as convenient as the aforementioned would be...well...convenient

Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,858,770 times
South and immediately east of Uptown is where you should concentrate your search.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 PM

58 posts, read 145,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal5046 View Post
I also wanted to ask if there was any website like HAR.com : Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors, TX Homes for Charlotte -- padmapper and zillow are great but something as convenient as the aforementioned would be...well...convenient
Here you go!!! Same type of site as HAR and you can search by region of the city as well as by neighborhood name.

CarolinaHome.com

Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,583,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal5046 View Post
We plan on visiting within the next month or so, but I wanted to check here first to see what neighborhoods we'd need to focus on, instead of showing up and flying blind. I'm getting the notion that south of uptown is really all that's worth looking at.

Glad to hear. Make sure to visit the Myers Park area, as I think that will really appeal to you.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,539,915 times
Our first home in Charlotte was a rental on Perrin Place in the Myers Park Area. I agree you would like that area from what you have said. We had one car and a baby. My husband went to work and I put the baby in the stroller and strolled away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte