U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:20 AM

6 posts, read 16,216 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering a move to Union Co and don't know where to start!! We are a family of 4 (me, DH and two kids, ages 7 and 9) whohave wanted to get out of NY for the longest time (we live on LI and I commute into NYC). One of my closest and oldest friends is moving to Marvin next month and has pretty much convinced me that Union County, NC is the way to go.

I know there are lots of builders and assume lots of resales and I would love some advice as to where to start and who to visit when planning a trip down. We would like a fairly large house and would be comfortable spending around $550K. Ultimately, a home with a mother-in-law suite would be perfect but my mom wants a seperate entrance so I'm just not sure if that works. I would then look for an over 55 community for her (she's 83 years young). I was surfing the web and came across Shea homes and Lawson in Waxhaw which looked amazing. Is it?

Schools are very important and so that is a factor. I understand that some communities are going to be re-zoned and may not continue to be in the Weddington school district. Any thoughts on this?

Then there's the job situation. I work for a large bank in Private Wealth Management and have been in Private Banking for about 15 yrs. Since Charlotte is the capitol of banking, I'd like to think that it shouldn't be too difficult to get a job but hey, you never know. I wanted to decided upon a house, start building and then start my search closer to the house being completed ( I assume that should take about 9 months???). Does that make sense?

All so confusing and very exciting and I welcome all of your help/feedback/thoughts!

Thanks so much,

Andrea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 09:57 AM

673 posts, read 2,434,609 times
The best thing for you to do would to be to pick up one of the new home magazines in the grocery store when you are down. It has maps and info about all the new communities by area. Lawson is nice, but the lots are smaller than some other communities. The only thing that I don't like about that area is Cuthbertson Rd. It is very narrow, and is a scary road. I think if you look in any of the areas near Lawson you will be safe with the schools. They might rezone, but the new schools will likely be just as good as the Weddington ones. There are many other new neighborhoods in Union County for you to choose from as well. Don't assume 9 months to build. Our house was built in 4 months and we have a large home. Also don't assume it will be easy to get a job. Many people have had a hard time with this. For the most part it seems that employers aren't very responsive until you are actually living here.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,164,761 times
We moved to Union County, NC from NJ six months ago. My husband worked on Wall Street and was fed up with the commute, etc. I was fed up with the pace and the never ending "one-up" attitude in NJ. (Although some of those people have found their way down here too.)
Let me start by stating, that just because you have a high paying salary in NYC, does not automatically mean you're a shoe-in here in Charlotte, unless you're planning to be transferred with your current salary. Competition for high paying jobs is extremely high here, and companies have the pick of the crop in this great city. Remember, everyone and their sister is moving down here, trying to accomplish the same thing you are. If you have good connections you're a step ahead of the game.
Secondly, your friend has a point, Union County is wonderful for so many reasons, primarily for it's schools. Check into communities like Providence Downs ($$$, I've seen some mother-daughter, dual-entrance style homes there), Hunter Oaks ($$), Marvin Creek ($$$), Somerset ($$), Wedington Chase ($$$). I personally think developments like Cureton and Lawson are too far out of the city, but that's just my personal opinion.
But, most importantly, get in contact with a great realtor. Ours is price-less. She's originally from NYC and completely understands the re-lo process and has tons of patience. And she listens! (A quality very hard to find.) She is part of this board (just do a search). Her user name is south.charlotte&union. If you want her e-mail address, just PM me. I don't know much about assisted living communities around here, but I'm sure s.c&u can help with that as well.
For those of us that have done the same (moving without a job transfer) it took about seven to eight months, on average, for the entire process.
Good Luck to you.

Last edited by stmaarten; 09-09-2007 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 09-09-2007, 11:13 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,164,761 times
Just wanted to add:
I personally think resale is the way to go. You know what you're getting into and don't have to deal with the head aches. We had a home built in NJ. I worked for buliders most of my adult life and I'll never build again! JMO

Old 09-09-2007, 03:08 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,547,061 times
Stmaarten you are so sweet Thanks

$550K will buy you a lot down here -- you will have many options. It all depends on what you are looking for in a home, and what is most important to you, for example, size of home? land? location? amenities?

In addition to South Charlotte and Union County, actually I do know a bit about 55 and older communities -- my parents just moved to Sun City Carolina Lakes in March. They are loving it...and I am thrilled that they are so happy. The only bad thing about it is that they are so busy I sometimes have to pay babysitters now

Old 09-09-2007, 03:10 PM

148 posts, read 505,599 times
Default In the same boat...

We are from LI NY too and my husband commutes to NYC and hates it. We have been wanting to move to Union County for the past 2 years and have been down there 6 times over that time. The problem has been finding a job. My husband makes a good NY salary and he is being offered less than half his salary for a similar job in NC. We are now exploring the option of buying a business as our time frame for moving has narrowed since our daughter has one more year until high school. I would say go and visit, check out the schools, the neighborhoods, etc. But, finding a "good" paying job has not been easy!

Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad5117 View Post
We are from LI NY too and my husband commutes to NYC and hates it. We have been wanting to move to Union County for the past 2 years and have been down there 6 times over that time. The problem has been finding a job. My husband makes a good NY salary and he is being offered less than half his salary for a similar job in NC. We are now exploring the option of buying a business as our time frame for moving has narrowed since our daughter has one more year until high school. I would say go and visit, check out the schools, the neighborhoods, etc. But, finding a "good" paying job has not been easy!
So it seems, after reading these boards. What type of work does your husband do?

I would hope that being a banker would be helpful since it's a big industry in Charlotte. And while I don't expect to get the same salary, I would not be happy at half pay. The bank I work for is big in North Carolina so I think first step may be to see if I can transfer.

But now I'm picking up on something else as I've been reading, and that is the fact that so many people have been moving to Union County that the schools are experiencing overcrowding and will continue to do so as development moves forward in leaps and bounds. As someone pointed out, infrastructure is not free so what seems like a lower cost of living now won't be the case in a few years from now.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:04 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascalisi View Post
So it seems, after reading these boards. What type of work does your husband do?

I would hope that being a banker would be helpful since it's a big industry in Charlotte. And while I don't expect to get the same salary, I would not be happy at half pay. The bank I work for is big in North Carolina so I think first step may be to see if I can transfer.

But now I'm picking up on something else as I've been reading, and that is the fact that so many people have been moving to Union County that the schools are experiencing overcrowding and will continue to do so as development moves forward in leaps and bounds. As someone pointed out, infrastructure is not free so what seems like a lower cost of living now won't be the case in a few years from now.

You might want to consider buying in area of Charlotte that have already been built out and is not experiencing such high growth problems in their schools. In my neighborhood for instance, the school assignments have not changed in 15 to 20 years.

Plus, buying resale gets you closer to uptown, if that is a concern for commuting.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You might want to consider buying in area of Charlotte that have already been built out and is not experiencing such high growth problems in their schools. In my neighborhood for instance, the school assignments have not changed in 15 to 20 years.

Plus, buying resale gets you closer to uptown, if that is a concern for commuting.
What areas would you recommend looking in and how are the schools?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:20 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascalisi View Post
What areas would you recommend looking in and how are the schools?

Thanks!
Hope this helps

Providence Plantation - many nice ones there! Here is one:

Charlotte NC Homes For Sale, Houses for sale, houses, real estate, for sale - helenadamsrealty.com

another there (this one in on over an acre!):
Charlotte NC Homes For Sale, Houses for sale, houses, real estate, for sale - helenadamsrealty.com

one more in Providence Plantation:

Cotswold - older, very established, nice mature yards, good schools too:

and another:

Lost Tree (GREAT schools): Charlotte NC Homes For Sale, Houses for sale, houses, real estate, for sale - helenadamsrealty.com

Off of hwy 51 in Matthews - Mallory Manor:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or