U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 AM

999 posts, read 4,260,443 times

Advertisements

The Connecticut Post Online - State letting successful people slip away (http://www.connpost.com//ci_6774662?IADID=Search-www.connpost.com-www.connpost.com - broken link)

Had to post this one. I received a House Warming card in the mail yesterday, from my Aunt in CT, and a copy of this article was tucked inside.
So, while folks here are concerned about overcrowding, building, school capacity CT is worrying about not growing enough....before I left our town there they had already closed one elementary school and were planning to shut another down, and there were only 8 in the whole town!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:12 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,656,770 times
Very interesting. Many NC natives have the same concerns expressed in this article. As more people move into the state, housing prices increase. For some, affordable housing is becoming harder to find. Where will they go when they become priced out of the market? Food for thought!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:22 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,766,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Very interesting. Many NC natives have the same concerns expressed in this article. As more people move into the state, housing prices increase. For some, affordable housing is becoming harder to find. Where will they go when they become priced out of the market? Food for thought!
Hmm...I agree the concerns may be the same but it's still very different- there's still tons of affordable housing for anyone with a solid trade/profession/career (barring the ones that are commodities like IT and HR for instance) in much of the SE/South. The article points out a reality which is pretty real in CT/MA/NJ/NY, a pharmacist and a nurse don't like the quality of life there combine income affords them in CT. I'm take it that while they *could* live anywhere they want in CT on their combined household income, it represents the minimum needed for a reasonable lifestyle. Vs. having all sorts of options you'd think either one of the would have.

This is the first article I've seen which talks about the representative reshaping that's taking place in the NE.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:44 PM

245 posts, read 813,184 times
Ha, go figure...Detroit has closed 50 schools! the school system looses 10,000 students eac year due to folks moving out of the city or sending kids to charters...

the area here is so depressed...

Old 09-09-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjdaniels View Post
Ha, go figure...Detroit has closed 50 schools! the school system looses 10,000 students eac year due to folks moving out of the city or sending kids to charters...

the area here is so depressed...
I have a brother-in-law there, just started teaching last year, hard to find a decent job, so we tried to convince him to come down here, lots of teaching jobs and since he's used to Detroit, I don't think he'd be scared off by CMS public schools, since they tend to put new teachers in the worst schools.......

Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM

112 posts, read 233,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Hmm...I agree the concerns may be the same but it's still very different- there's still tons of affordable housing for anyone with a solid trade/profession/career (barring the ones that are commodities like IT and HR for instance) in much of the SE/South. The article points out a reality which is pretty real in CT/MA/NJ/NY, a pharmacist and a nurse don't like the quality of life there combine income affords them in CT. I'm take it that while they *could* live anywhere they want in CT on their combined household income, it represents the minimum needed for a reasonable lifestyle. Vs. having all sorts of options you'd think either one of the would have.

This is the first article I've seen which talks about the representative reshaping that's taking place in the NE.
I know the south is cheaper than the NE but why is everyone so fixated with North Carolina? There are other southern states not to mention the midwest.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
I know the south is cheaper than the NE but why is everyone so fixated with North Carolina? There are other southern states not to mention the midwest.
We didn't "plan" to come to NC, my husband started looking for a new job, as the one he was at for 14 yrs was going nowhere. He looked in CT as we really didn't want to move, but couldn't find anything decent with anything remotely resembling the pay he was getting---and we were barely getting by as it was. So when it came to looking elsewhere, we concentrated the search to places that weren't TOO far from family (we already had family in SC and GA), states that had decent programs for children with disabilities (GA, VA and FL were out) and then started looking for jobs. The first decent offer came from Fayetteville.....then after we moved and the job was awful, we started looking again. Again, the first decent offer was in NC.
At least for us, NC was where the jobs were.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:50 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,430,260 times
Quote:
Answer is very very simple: This area is the fastest growing economically--couple that with the culture and QOL, it's a no brainer. South Carolina is still a wasteland IMO when it comes to jobs and growth. Florida is a mess. Georgia is OK but Charlotte has more potential to stretch your dollar than in say, Atlanta. Mississippi and Alabama...haha, ok. That leaves the booming metropolis' of Charlotte and Raleigh as well as their surrounding areas.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:00 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,766,295 times
Quote:
There are other southern states that people are going to- you're just not going to here about them here. The same fixation is on parts of GA (not talking about ATL) and TN. And it's not all of NC that people are moving to, there are many parts of NC that could stand some revitalization and new growth as the economy is just dead.

Anyway, this isn't anything new, as we'd like to think. Since the beginning of the US, people have been moving here-to-there and back again. The reasons have always largely been the same economics (the migration west, moving north and mid-west for manufacturing jobs, etc.). What is new is we now have the internet where we can talk about the topic (to death).

Old 09-09-2007, 03:19 PM

112 posts, read 233,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
There are other southern states that people are going to- you're just not going to here about them here. The same fixation is on parts of GA (not talking about ATL) and TN. And it's not all of NC that people are moving to, there are many parts of NC that could stand some revitalization and new growth as the economy is just dead.

True, but if you look at post counts for each state NC has considerably more than any other. I guess I do not get the attraction. Is North Carolina that much better than anywhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or