U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:04 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
Even if it means raising taxes! I know South Charlotte has some good schools too, but I do believe they have some problems of their own with the whole CMS!

Question for Charlotte Natives? Since the Ballantyne area is relatively new (10-15 years), did not that area go thru some growing pains too?
One last note, UC is predominately a rural county. If you driven down Hwy 74 towards SC or out towards Wingate and Polkton you'll see that. These folks don't and won't have income that will support huge tax increases. Property tax is property tax regardless of where you live. Things are good now, however, the bubble will eventually burst, if it isn't already starting. My property tax increase this year was 11% and we still do not have enough schools, adequate roads, or infrastructure to support the type of growth that is going on in the Western end. I know that many of you are coming from areas with higher taxes than what you are paying now in UC, but keep in mind that the natives and those of us on fixed incomes, are really hurting. Its easy to say that our government will take care of things, but if you look at Charlotte for example, they are pretty much taxed out, and have no where near the number of schools that they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 10:07 PM

43,303 posts, read 51,805,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
One last note, UC is predominately a rural county. If you driven down Hwy 74 towards SC or out towards Wingate and Polkton you'll see that. These folks don't and won't have income that will support huge tax increases. Property tax is property tax regardless of where you live. Things are good now, however, the bubble will eventually burst, if it isn't already starting. My property tax increase this year was 11% and we still do not have enough schools, adequate roads, or infrastructure to support the type of growth that is going on in the Western end. I know that many of you are coming from areas with higher taxes than what you are paying now in UC, but keep in mind that the natives and those of us on fixed incomes, are really hurting. Its easy to say that our government will take care of things, but if you look at Charlotte for example, they are pretty much taxed out, and have no where near the number of schools that they need.

Frankly jlat, I would love to see a moratorium on building new homes for at least one year in western Union. All this over development is ruining what people moved out there for in the first place!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Thanks all, we have seen all the developments mentioned with the exception of Anniston Grove. Where is that? I see it has an Indian Trail address. Blackstone, Hunter Oaks and Canterfield are on the short list. Kingsmead and Marvin Creek are unfortunatly just out of range. The Glen is nice I just prefer the ammenities to be within the community. Where will Millbridge students go? I suppose they will go Kensington, but not sure where they will go after. 2000 homes will certainly put the strain on some school. And how about the school slated for Cuthberston Rd., what communities will be heading there? I suppose luck could be on our side selling in Jersey, we dropped the price alot to get it to move. We should probably restate the range to 425K-525K.
It is estimated that Millbridge alone will require 3 new schools. Waxhaw government should have been jailed for approving this development, on the heels of Cureton. The upside is that as long as the county can't process sewer waste, then no new housing will get built. (per the State of NC)

Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Frankly jlat, I would love to see a moratorium on building new homes for at least one year in western Union. All this over development is ruining what people moved out there for in the first place!
UC completed an 18 month moritorium last year and enacted an adequate facalities ordinance to help with schools, however, the commissoners that were recently elected, tore up the ordinance since it would have impact on their businesses as well as the businesses of their cronies. They also threw out the County Planning board, and stacked that deck with their buddies. We will be voting in November for a land transfer tax that will help some, but quite frankly, the damage is done and unless we can make some significant changes in how our county is governed, things will not be better and the quality of life in UC will continue to decline (ie University City).

Old 09-09-2007, 10:18 PM

43,303 posts, read 51,805,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
UC completed an 18 month moritorium last year and enacted an adequate facalities ordinance to help with schools, however, the commissoners that were recently elected, tore up the ordinance since it would have impact on their businesses as well as the businesses of their cronies. They also threw out the County Planning board, and stacked that deck with their buddies. We will be voting in November for a land transfer tax that will help some, but quite frankly, the damage is done and unless we can make some significant changes in how our county is governed, things will not be better and the quality of life in UC will continue to decline (ie University City).
Good job recounting all the facts, I had forgotten some of them.

Still, I do love the whole county - especially the more rural parts in Marshville, Fairview or New Salem

Old 09-13-2007, 11:20 AM

422 posts, read 811,508 times
A friend of mine works at Millbridge, and Millbridge is not part of the whole sewage issue. As far as what I heard it was grandfathered into Mecklenburg. Not sure about the additional schools needed. However, it appears it will be about 10 years before all those homes are even in. So, at that rate, the kids will be out of school.'

I've been looking into Millbridge myself because the price is right, the amenities are amazing and the schools are what we want.

Still doing my research.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 AM

536 posts, read 1,097,669 times
Arrow Union county now 15th fastest growing county, but for how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomesalesrep View Post
A friend of mine works at Millbridge, and Millbridge is not part of the whole sewage issue. As far as what I heard it was grandfathered into Mecklenburg. Not sure about the additional schools needed. However, it appears it will be about 10 years before all those homes are even in. So, at that rate, the kids will be out of school.'

I've been looking into Millbridge myself because the price is right, the amenities are amazing and the schools are what we want.

Still doing my research.
Yes, I have heard this too. Probably from the same sales rep! Let's hope it is true. Aside from the shooting range, it will be an incredible community. Maybe they should just work that in as another amentity!

I agree with jlat, need to change 3 of those commisioners, or at least 1 to sway the vote!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomesalesrep View Post

Still doing my research.
I'm not real sure how it could be grandfathered into Mecklenburg since it sits in Union County. Unless they are pumping poo accross the county line (which is highly possible knowing how the UC develop-omissioners like sling it).

Here's a blog that addresses the school issue. Its pretty simple math actually.

The Village Scribe Online Union County taxpayers pay for Waxhaw’s expensive addiction!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
Yes, I have heard this too. Probably from the same sales rep! Let's hope it is true. Aside from the shooting range, it will be an incredible community. Maybe they should just work that in as another amentity!

I agree with jlat, need to change 3 of those commisioners, or at least 1 to sway the vote!

You know, its sad. I've been going to that range for so many years I can't count. There used to be nothing but cotton fields and cow pastures all around. I'm afraid that some HOA is going to sue the owners because they are afraid, and that their property values are going to be affected. The owners of the range are really afraid that their days are numbered. Too sad. Maybe I could start using out of state car tags for target practice (just kidding mods, really just kidding.......)

Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 PM

47 posts, read 85,605 times
Yes all the above is true, but back to her original question, Weddington or Marvin? I'd vote Marvin on two accounts- its' proximity to Ballantyne, and its proximity to a four lane road- REA Rd is a lifesaver to Marvin residents.

Also the schools are probably more settled their as well. In her price range, Hunter Oaks is arguably the best. And LM is also right, I would not just dismiss southern Meck cty because of what you "hear" here. There are tons of nice neighborhoods and great schools in zipcodes 28277 and 28270.

And as our market slows down, the closer in homes with better roads will hold value better. Back to Location, location.....chekc appreciation by zip code in the Charlotte area here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte