Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:57 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,277,958 times

Advertisements

ji that is awful, parent involvement is so important..my dd is in a new school but the principal welcomes all parents and anytime u need to talk teachers or admin staff the door is open, and coming from where we came from that was a nice change...cant the parents do something???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 04:03 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,411,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom4 View Post
Hey,
I will be at your new home with Welcome Basket!! Let me know when you'll be arriving. Don't worry about the rest of the thread. Talked to Homeowners and they are very pleased with NTES.
Nancy,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if that comment is directed to my post, I 'm not sure that it is really appropriate. I have nothing to gain by telling what I have experienced first hand with my own children. I understand that you are a real estate agent and you are in the business of selling houses to people. However, please do not discount someone who has first hand experience. I don't doubt that there are some people that are very pleased with NTES. However, I try to post realistic and objective opinions on this board and based on real experiences and facts. I'm not here to sell anything to anybody, I'm just trying to provide a level of objectivity that I see this board really needs at times.

Thanks

Jlat

Old 10-16-2007, 04:10 PM

125 posts, read 374,246 times
You can always express your grievances to ucps.k12.nc.us

Old 10-16-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
ji that is awful, parent involvement is so important..my dd is in a new school but the principal welcomes all parents and anytime u need to talk teachers or admin staff the door is open, and coming from where we came from that was a nice change...cant the parents do something???
That's how it was at our last school (still is from what I understand). My wife and both were very involved in many of the activities and committes. The bad thing though, is I know at least one parent that asked to be allowed to walk her daughter (3rd grader) to class, as the child suffers from some anxiety problems and can get really upset pretty quickly especially in crowds (like in a hallway). This parent has walked her child into class every day since she started Kindergarten and makes sure she's settled in. The prinicpal flatly refused and even questioned her ability to parent. She's in the process of finding another school.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Yep brand new administration, with a ton of pretty stringent (and some really strange) rules. Totally a 180 from what we were used to at other school. No walking children to class, no young siblings for lunch visits. No communication with teachers except through email or written notices. Limited number of parents attending celebrations, no birthdays etc. All outgoing notes must be approved by the prinicpal. There's a pretty severe morale problem with the staff due to some of the policies put in place by the administration. I have 2 friends working there and both really are unhappy. The term "walking on eggshells" gets tossed out often. Parental involvement is not encouraged. PTA very cliquish and unapproachable. Most of the PTA committe heads were in place before school started without opening it up to volunteers and they come from mainly from 2 neighborhoods. I could go on, but it gets really depressing after a point. I suppose that it will get better in a few years after the current principal gets more experience, but it is too bad that good teachers, staff and parents that really want to be involved in their children's education, have to pay the price for his inexperience and inflexibilty
Sounds extremely restrictive - I wouldn't like any of that either. Sounds like a dictator is running the place!

Old 10-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You can always express your grievances to ucps.k12.nc.us
Thanks, I'll I belive that I can handle that part of it just fine.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Nancy,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if that comment is directed to my post, I 'm not sure that it is really appropriate. I have nothing to gain by telling what I have experienced first hand with my own children. I understand that you are a real estate agent and you are in the business of selling houses to people. However, please do not discount someone who has first hand experience. I don't doubt that there are some people that are very pleased with NTES. However, I try to post realistic and objective opinions on this board and based on real experiences and facts. I'm not here to sell anything to anybody, I'm just trying to provide a level of objectivity that I see this board really needs at times.

Thanks

Jlat
Can't help but take this the wrong way. You've made me out to only care about selling houses. I have nothing to do with any of these subscribers buying houses directly. I love the area I live in and want to share that with others. The original person that started this post has already decided on new location and this thread had taken a twist to bashing NTES admin. No, I don't have a child there but I am on my fourth child going through the system in Union County and I am also a Past UCPS employee for 7 years. The Middle Schools get even tougher and maybe they are trying to prepare them for that. Also, I think a lot of the School came from another pretty Family friendly atmoshpere ( I was there w/ 5th grader). Seems from my experience, there are problems at EVERY school-sometimes between staff-sometimes betweeen parents and teachers. I am glad you are pleased with your teachers from what you said. It would be a lot worse , in my opinion, that is, if you loved the admin. but disliked the teachers. The relocators need not be alarmed by these comments. Your comments seem to be very frustrated and You have every right to make them and I, although you may not believe me, do not mean to belittle your feelings, just did not want to get off the main topic of the thread to scaring my new neighbors with their decision. There are cases in EVERY school that do not appeal to parents and I am sorry you are going through this, but please don't make me out to just "selling houses" I have it generously posted that I am a Real Estate Broker unlike some others that will not post this. The same as if you were giving options in your field of Profession. I paid my dues dearly to UCPS for 7 years.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:51 PM

494 posts, read 1,341,811 times
We have been attending UCPS for over 3 years now and we have had such a positive experience. The schools here are wonderful. No school is perfect, but overall we have been so pleased.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:

Can't help but take this the wrong way. You've made me out to only care about selling houses. I have nothing to do with any of these subscribers buying houses directly. I love the area I live in and want to share that with others. The original person that started this post has already decided on new location and this thread had taken a twist to bashing NTES admin. No, I don't have a child there but I am on my fourth child going through the system in Union County and I am also a Past UCPS employee for 7 years. The Middle Schools get even tougher and maybe they are trying to prepare them for that. Also, I think a lot of the School came from another pretty Family friendly atmoshpere ( I was there w/ 5th grader). Seems from my experience, there are problems at EVERY school-sometimes between staff-sometimes betweeen parents and teachers. I am glad you are pleased with your teachers from what you said. It would be a lot worse , in my opinion, that is, if you loved the admin. but disliked the teachers. The relocators need not be alarmed by these comments. Your comments seem to be very frustrated and You have every right to make them and I, although you may not believe me, do not mean to belittle your feelings, just did not want to get off the main topic of the thread to scaring my new neighbors with their decision. There are cases in EVERY school that do not appeal to parents and I am sorry you are going through this, but please don't make me out to just "selling houses" I have it generously posted that I am a Real Estate Broker unlike some others that will not post this. The same as if you were giving options in your field of Profession. I paid my dues dearly to UCPS for 7 years.
Nancy, I do not mean to be unkind, but since you joined us here you have taken a somewhat agressive approach with people you disagree with. This post is another example. Jlat was only responding to your dig on her and now you are escalating things even further.

We will never all agree on everything on this board, but there is a way to disagree or state your own opinions without turning the threads into something personal. I am hoping after you read more here you will see the ebb and flow of conversation and how 90% of the time we can all get along even when the conversations get tense. And please realize, whether it is warranted or not, all realtors are looked at with a degree of suspicion here by a lot of people. You can say all day long your opinions of how great something is are not colored by your realtor glasses, but that is just hard for some people to believe. I am hoping things will get easier as make yourself a place here

Last edited by lovesMountains; 10-16-2007 at 05:10 PM..

Old 10-16-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Nancy, I do not mean to be unkind, but since you joined us here you have taken a somewhat agressive approach with people you disagree with. This post is another example. Jlat was only responding to your dig on her and now you are escalating things even further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

We will never all agree on everything on this board, but there is a way to disagree or state your own opinions without turning the threads into something personal. I am hoping after you read more here you will see the ebb and flow of conversation and how 90% of the time we can all get along even when the conversations get tense. Good luck with this.
It is not me that is disagreeing -Look at ya'll quotes to me it's like if you preface it with "don't get me/take this wrong" it's OK. I don't turn anything personal until I feel personally attacked -I am being told that I am only in this to "sell houses"-and b/c that is so unlike me, really, I can't help but respond. Please tell me where I have been so agressive FIRST. How was my saying to the new neighbor to "not worry" about the response way after their decision to move was already made such a "dig" as you put it. There is no personal dig in that. Just take it in stride like others said everyone has their own opinion. And how are yours and Jlat not a personal "dig" on me? Only trying to do what I replied with. I am one of the most honest persons you will find. Sometimes too much for my own good. This thread is really going downhill. I have done nothing to truly offend any of any of you.
Thanks Robin 2007

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte