U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:03 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,749,957 times

Advertisements

I would love to live in the Fourth Ward with a small child. As the baby gets older, you would have easy access to Discovery Place (they have an area for toddlers) as well as the Imaginon Children's library. The area is also much more pedestrian oriented then South Park. There is also a playground at Fourth Ward Park. I don't know of a playground you could walk to at South Park. The mall would be the only attraction to living in South Park in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
She'd have far more to worry about with the crazy drivers in South Park. There are several ladies with strollers in Fourth Ward Park and Founders Park, kids on the swings, etc., everyday. I know many of them and they've had no problems whatsoever. You seem to have a skewed vision of Fourth Ward. Yes, there are some poor old folks who live in Booth Gardens. They don't bother anyone.

I've seen several people try to cross Sharon in that crosswalk and nearly be hit by inattentive and impatient drivers. It's just not a pleasant place to walk.
I love 4th Ward, especially for the sense of history and the old Victorian homes there.

My view of it is not "skewed".

There ARE folks of questionable motives walking around 4th Ward at all times of the day and night. That happens in the core of a city where you have more fragile neighborhoods and a homeless shelter nearby.

Because of that, it is not an area I would feel comfortable walking around in by myself with a baby. I understand there are families there that love it, it just would not be my cup of tea with a young child.

Our OP specifically asked for our opinions, and I am just giving her mine.

I also recommended she see homes in both areas, then get out and knock on some doors to meet people who actually live there and get their opinions

Old 03-10-2012, 02:31 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,341,957 times
Also in the 4th ward is the 7th street public market, which is growing every day and I think there will be some kid focused programs there too.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I would love to live in the Fourth Ward with a small child. As the baby gets older, you would have easy access to Discovery Place (they have an area for toddlers) as well as the Imaginon Children's library. The area is also much more pedestrian oriented then South Park. There is also a playground at Fourth Ward Park. I don't know of a playground you could walk to at South Park. The mall would be the only attraction to living in South Park in my opinion.
Again, it depends on where in SouthPark you live as to what is "walkable", but Park Rd. Park is part of the neighborhood

Park Road Park, Charlotte - HelloCharlotte.com

Not to mention the lovely Harris YMCA facility.

Harris YMCA

Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,284,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There ARE folks of questionable motives walking around 4th Ward at all times of the day and night. That happens in the core of a city where you have more fragile neighborhoods and a homeless shelter nearby.
The homeless shelter is pretty a full 10-20 blocks away. Most of the homeless stay on Tryon Street. And most of them do not cause problems.

The only random murder I can recall in Charlotte happened at 10 in the morning in South Park.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Again, it depends on where in SouthPark you live as to what is "walkable", but Park Rd. Park is part of the neighborhood

Park Road Park, Charlotte - HelloCharlotte.com

Not to mention the lovely Harris YMCA facility.

Harris YMCA
I don't think Park Road Park is walkable from anywhere. Unless you consider crossing Tyvola feasible!

The OP would have her pick of three YMCAs - the Childress Klein, Gateway and Dowd - in uptown. As well as several the smaller parks uptown, Freedom Park is a short bus ride away.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The homeless shelter is pretty a full 10-20 blocks away. Most of the homeless stay on Tryon Street. And most of them do not cause problems.

The only random murder I can recall in Charlotte happened at 10 in the morning in South Park.
More like 8 to 10 blocks away. And we both know crime can happen anywhere and does occur in both these areas.

Again, it is personal preference and our OP has asked for opinions.

Mine is that there is more of what she needs/wants in SouthPark.

Though as I have already said, I know there are families that love living in 4th Ward.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I don't think Park Road Park is walkable from anywhere. Unless you consider crossing Tyvola feasible!

The OP would have her pick of three YMCAs - the Childress Klein, Gateway and Dowd - in uptown. As well as several the smaller parks uptown, Freedom Park is a short bus ride away.
Remember, she is not asking for "walkable" for herself, as she will have a car.

Her husband wants to walk to work and she wants nice areas just to walk in

Old 03-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Remember, she is not asking for "walkable" for herself, as she will have a car.

Her husband wants to walk to work and she wants nice areas just to walk in
Both of these needs would be better served in Fourth Ward than South Park. It will be very difficult to walk to work in South Park unless you have a condo above your office or in the same complex as your office.

Don't mean to keep going back and forth but as someone whose done the 1-car family thing for many years, uptown is far preferable to the South Park area or almost any area in the city.

The area is safer for walking
The area is more compact so you can get more done on foot
The cultural offerings for kids are much better (ImaginOn, Discovery Place)
The nearby parks are nicer (Founders, Fourth Ward, Freedom)
Your kid won't grow up learning to be afraid of anyone not upper middle class and white.

The only advantage South Park might have is a wider variety of retail. But that's all accessible within 15 minutes of driving.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Both of these needs would be better served in Fourth Ward than South Park. It will be very difficult to walk to work in South Park unless you have a condo above your office or in the same complex as your office.

Don't mean to keep going back and forth but as someone whose done the 1-car family thing for many years, uptown is far preferable to the South Park area or almost any area in the city.

The area is safer for walking
The area is more compact so you can get more done on foot
The cultural offerings for kids are much better (ImaginOn, Discovery Place)
The nearby parks are nicer (Founders, Fourth Ward, Freedom)
Your kid won't grow up learning to be afraid of anyone not upper middle class and white.

The only advantage South Park might have is a wider variety of retail. But that's all accessible within 15 minutes of driving.

Your view of SouthPark seems a bit skewed and prejudiced

Couldn't resist

Though I should mention, more people have been hit by cars AND actually died from their injuries in uptown than in SouthPark. But again, it's not a contest, and it's also not about me being "afraid" to of folks who aren't "middle class" and "white"

Seriously, it all comes down to personal preference. Between the two of us we've given the OP plenty to think about when it comes to her OWN preferences, and that's the important thing for the purposes of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or