U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,736,880 times

Advertisements

Certain parts of South Park would be better than others. The Morrison Apts would be excellent as it's very walkable to the library, Barnes & Noble, Grocery Store and the Mall. And there are pleasant neighborhoods to walk in as well. However the Peidmont development on the other side of the mall would not be very good - unpleasant walking anywhere from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,268,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your view of SouthPark seems a bit skewed and prejudiced

Couldn't resist

Though I should mention, more people have been hit by cars AND actually died from their injuries in uptown than in SouthPark. But again, it's not a contest, and it's also not about me being "afraid" to of folks who aren't "middle class" and "white"

Seriously, it all comes down to personal preference. Between the two of us we've given the OP plenty to think about when it comes to her OWN preferences, and that's the important thing for the purposes of this thread.
Loves, ye know I love our spirited debates It's all in what the OP prefers. Just giving her a lot to think about.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:19 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,337,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I don't think Park Road Park is walkable from anywhere. Unless you consider crossing Tyvola feasible!

The OP would have her pick of three YMCAs - the Childress Klein, Gateway and Dowd - in uptown. As well as several the smaller parks uptown, Freedom Park is a short bus ride away.
Only the Dowd Y has childwatch though, the other two are express Y's.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 PM

87 posts, read 108,406 times
Thank you, thank you all!! So many great responses! And I love the debate!
I knew I could count on city data forum!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,277,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyNyC View Post
Thank you, thank you all!! So many great responses! And I love the debate!
I knew I could count on city data forum!
Glad we could all help!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 PM

7 posts, read 7,678 times
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I actually live in SouthPark with a child (now a toddler) and would not consider it at all walkable in a practical sense. We live in the Carmel on Providence apartments at the corner of Fairview and Providence, and we've been happy here. Lots of families, lots of trees, quiet, and convenient when my husband took the bus to work uptown (then I had the car during the day). Now he works in Columbia, and we had to buy a second car, because being car-less wasn't feasible for me with a baby. This is specific to the corner I live on, but: If I need groceries, I can walk to The Fresh Market, but it's pretty expensive, better for treats than everyday. I can walk to our bank, but we picked our bank *because* it was across the street. I can't really walk to the Morrison Library (at least, not with a small child): it's two miles one way, and walking along Fairview is unpleasantly noisy, IME. Our apartment complex doesn't have a playground, and there isn't a public park within walking distance (the Strawberry Hill apartments across the street do have a playground). Now, if I want to walk for fun or exercise, I can walk in the neighborhood around the corner--no sidewalks, but it's a quiet, expensive SouthPark neighborhood. I'm not going to get run over. It just isn't practical to *get* anywhere.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 AM

37 posts, read 47,029 times
If we knew where OP lives now, it might give a better idea of what she is looking for. Someone coming from a large city may feel more at home Uptown, whereas someone who currently lives in a suburb might prefer the South Park area. From her initial post, based on the desire to have one car, my impression is that they might be accustomed to a more urban setting. I would agree that from what I've seen of Charlotte, being hit by a car at a busy intersection probably presents the highest likelihood of danger - in any neighborhood. It's a beautiful city, but not the most pedestrian-friendly.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 AM

11,715 posts, read 9,338,106 times
SouthPark is more spread out....

Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,428,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Fourth Ward is perfectly safe during the day. I don't know anyone who would say there are any problems walking around there during the day or even after dark. There is so much activity going on there, it is not unsafe. Maybe if you're walking around after 3 am, but I highly doubt the OP will be doing so. I have never heard of any daytime incidents there (as opposed to several daytime robberies at SouthPark Mall and the daytime murder in South Park last year).
Well the neighborhood crime mapper at All Things Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com - Charlotte, North Carolina (http://www.charlotte.com - broken link) paints a much different picture of the neighborhood. Last year there were 4 aggravated assaults & 11 robberies. There were 13 burglaries (breaking & entering). There were 95 thefts from motor vehicles. There were 26 reports of property damage/vandalism.

The CMPD crime mapper was tasked to find crimes that occurred within 1000' of the intersection of N. Poplar & East 7th St.(4th Ward Park)

Search Results:
Reported Incidents that occurred within 1000 ft of North Poplar & East 7th st. between 1/1/2011 and 12/31/2011.

Incident TypeCount
Larceny From Auto43
Larceny-Other30
Non-Aggravated Assault27
Hit And Run19
Vandalism16
Larceny-Shoplifting14
Other Non-Criminal Incident12
Possession Of Marijuana9
Fraud8
Residential Burglary7
Auto Theft5
Other Criminal Charge5
Armed Robbery4
Concealed Weapon-Cutting Instrument3
Missing Person-Age 16 And Over3
Strong Arm Robbery3
Commercial Burglary2
Counterfeiting2
Larceny Of Bicycle2
Aggravated Assault-Knife1
Aggravated Assault-Other Weapon1
Alcohol Violation-Other1
Concealed Weapon-Firearm1
Disorderly Conduct1
Disorderly Conduct-Affray/Other1
Larceny-Purse Snatching1
Sex Offense-Crime Against Nature1
Sex Offense-Indecent Exposure1
Stolen Property1
Sudden Or Accidental Death1
Suicide1
Trespass1

Does anyone want to post some stats for the neighborhoods that make up Southpark?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:09 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,268,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well the neighborhood crime mapper at All Things Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com - Charlotte, North Carolina (http://www.charlotte.com - broken link) paints a much different picture of the neighborhood. Last year there were 4 aggravated assaults & 11 robberies. There were 13 burglaries (breaking & entering). There were 95 thefts from motor vehicles. There were 26 reports of property damage/vandalism.

The CMPD crime mapper was tasked to find crimes that occurred within 1000' of the intersection of N. Poplar & East 7th St.(4th Ward Park)

Search Results:
Reported Incidents that occurred within 1000 ft of North Poplar & East 7th st. between 1/1/2011 and 12/31/2011.

Incident TypeCount
Larceny From Auto43
Larceny-Other30
Non-Aggravated Assault27
Hit And Run19
Vandalism16
Larceny-Shoplifting14
Other Non-Criminal Incident12
Possession Of Marijuana9
Fraud8
Residential Burglary7
Auto Theft5
Other Criminal Charge5
Armed Robbery4
Concealed Weapon-Cutting Instrument3
Missing Person-Age 16 And Over3
Strong Arm Robbery3
Commercial Burglary2
Counterfeiting2
Larceny Of Bicycle2
Aggravated Assault-Knife1
Aggravated Assault-Other Weapon1
Alcohol Violation-Other1
Concealed Weapon-Firearm1
Disorderly Conduct1
Disorderly Conduct-Affray/Other1
Larceny-Purse Snatching1
Sex Offense-Crime Against Nature1
Sex Offense-Indecent Exposure1
Stolen Property1
Sudden Or Accidental Death1
Suicide1
Trespass1

Does anyone want to post some stats for the neighborhoods that make up Southpark?
Assaults and robberies seem like pretty low.

Here's within 1/2 mile of Morrison and Sharon

Larceny-Shoplifting219 Larceny-Other69 Larceny From Auto65 Fraud51 Hit And Run49 Other Criminal Charge22 Vandalism22 Other Non-Criminal Incident21 Non-Aggravated Assault20 Embezzlement14 Auto Theft8 Missing Person-Age 16 And Over5 Counterfeiting4 Larceny From Building4 Commercial Burglary3 Larceny Of Bicycle3 Residential Burglary3 Sudden Or Accidental Death3 Suicide3 Trespass3 Larceny-Purse Snatching2 Possession Of Dangerous Non-Narcotic2 Sex Offense-Other2 Aggravated Assault-Other Weapon1 Armed Robbery1 Arson1 Concealed Weapon-Cutting Instrument1 Forgery1 Mfg./Sale Of Dangerous Non-Narcotic1 Mfg./Sale Of Marijuana1 Missing Person-Under Age 161 Stolen Property1 Strong Arm Robbery1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or