Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 9,322 times

Advertisements

Hello! So unlike most of the population here in South Charlotte, my husband and I are in our 30's without kids. We have been renters in a neighborhood that just keeps increasing in kids and we have to get out of here before our sanity is completely gone. We are inside people, our neighbors are outside people and our house has terrible soundproofing. We absolutely love the smaller ranchers over at Stone Creek Ranch on the section that backs Tom Short (and unfortunately 485). Does anyone know of similar neighborhoods that have detached homes that have more of an older population? The houses are renting for pretty large sums, but love that they don't have much of a yard and no basketball courts, so can't see there being a lot of kids there.

It's to the point where I want to live somewhere like Sun City or The Cottages, but we are way too young for that! We are trying to stay within 10 miles or so of Southeast Charlotte if possible. We've looked at so many neighborhoods and really just think it's going to be the same everywhere, tons of kids, tons of noise. Maybe some of the newer homes have better windows/insulation, just viewing from the outside looks like the same situation we are in now.

Thanks for any guidance and I hope I don't get too much of "you are in the suburbs, what do you expect?" I already know that we are opposite of most of our age group, and don't want to live in the city. Have seen a few rentals way out, not real excited about heat pumps or well water. Solution would be to win the lottery, but we all can't be that lucky Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadgo View Post
Hello! So unlike most of the population here in South Charlotte, my husband and I are in our 30's without kids. We have been renters in a neighborhood that just keeps increasing in kids and we have to get out of here before our sanity is completely gone. We are inside people, our neighbors are outside people and our house has terrible soundproofing. We absolutely love the smaller ranchers over at Stone Creek Ranch on the section that backs Tom Short (and unfortunately 485). Does anyone know of similar neighborhoods that have detached homes that have more of an older population? The houses are renting for pretty large sums, but love that they don't have much of a yard and no basketball courts, so can't see there being a lot of kids there.

It's to the point where I want to live somewhere like Sun City or The Cottages, but we are way too young for that! We are trying to stay within 10 miles or so of Southeast Charlotte if possible. We've looked at so many neighborhoods and really just think it's going to be the same everywhere, tons of kids, tons of noise. Maybe some of the newer homes have better windows/insulation, just viewing from the outside looks like the same situation we are in now.

Thanks for any guidance and I hope I don't get too much of "you are in the suburbs, what do you expect?" I already know that we are opposite of most of our age group, and don't want to live in the city. Have seen a few rentals way out, not real excited about heat pumps or well water. Solution would be to win the lottery, but we all can't be that lucky Thanks!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 AM

8 posts, read 9,322 times
Thanks for the laugh!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
I recommend looking around the older neighborhoods. You didn't state a price range but Country Club Drive - Mecklenburg Avenue and surrounding area is good.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 AM

24 posts, read 45,899 times
East Charlotte gets a bad rap and Monroe Road is in dire need of repaving but the same residents, MORE or less, have lived in the homes their entire lives and are now "older" so there are not many children running around...lots of homes of smaller brick homes to rent...as previously stated/posted, Country Club Dr and Meck Ave are very nice to live in so if you can swing it i'd say go that route but Oakhurst and Cotswold are nice also and quiet...good luck

Old 03-11-2012, 03:36 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
I live in East Charlotte off of Monroe and I love it. There are a decent amount of kids on our street but I don't mind them. I used to live in Cotswold and it's quiet and has less kids.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadgo View Post

Look for rentals in older established neighborhoods along Sardis Road/Sardis Rd North. Many kids have grown up there and moved on leaving their folks living on their own

I like Lansdowne and Sardis Forest in particular. Perhaps if you ride through them you'd see some for rent signs in a yard or two.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 AM

41 posts, read 68,138 times
you must live at legacy at the arboretum...lots of kids there.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
I was also going to suggest Lansdowne. Beautiful, quiet neighborhood with solidly built ranches.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 AM

107 posts, read 201,199 times
We looked at "The Vineyards" by Lake Wylie. Nice area. Quiet from what I could tell. But you would have to buy. I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte