Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 11,905 times

Advertisements

The job market is very rough in Charlotte. I have met nurses, IT, sales reps, executives, health care, bankers, etc at all my network meetings who are struggling to find any work in Charlotte.

The media makes it sound like a conrnacopia of jobs have opened up.
Totally not true, its eeriely similiar to spring 2009.

The people I know ( and I know a myriad of people from my frat and fiance's soroity at uncc) who have found work in the past 6 months are all developers-engineers.

There seems to be alot of these inside sales type jobs too - I hear people get hired and its basically telemarketing and are gone in 4-5 months.
Like Yodlee, webvisible, avidxchange. on24 - etc - I checked them out - but its no stability.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 11:48 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Some of us have been saying this for 3 years already

There are so many qualified applicants for every one job in Charlotte that many either end up having to leave Charlotte for jobs elsewhere or remain unemployed for long periods of time.

This is why I've also posted here many times in those 3 years - unless you have substantial savings you can live off of and/or a spouse/partner with a job offer themselves - don't try to come to Charlotte without a job.

I do have to say though, that the market has started to feel slightly better in recent months.

So I am hopeful we have hit bottom and will now start making the climb back up. But what do I know?

Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Telling people jobs are tough is like telling people gas prices are high. I'm real curious why this is news...

Old 03-11-2012, 12:49 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Telling people jobs are tough is like telling people gas prices are high. I'm real curious why this is news...
Because there is a misconception that unemployment is getting better. This thread is a reminder that its not...

Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Because there is a misconception that unemployment is getting better. This thread is a reminder that its not...
Exactly, obviously the previous poster has lived under a rock for the past year.
From the Charlotte observer to the local news - all you hear is how the job market is growing by leaps and bounds which is bunk.
Its worse than is 2008-2009.
There is no recovery, the only thing he does know is that gas prices are approaching 2008 highs.
Wait till the summer, the end of q2 and the dow goes higher - gas will explode to 4.50.
People don't realize that the dow going over 13k means that people are spending money again and not saving.
The dow goes up , oil goes up, and gas goes up.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Some of us have been saying this for 3 years already

There are so many qualified applicants for every one job in Charlotte that many either end up having to leave Charlotte for jobs elsewhere or remain unemployed for long periods of time.

This is why I've also posted here many times in those 3 years - unless you have substantial savings you can live off of and/or a spouse/partner with a job offer themselves - don't try to come to Charlotte without a job.

I do have to say though, that the market has started to feel slightly better in recent months.

So I am hopeful we have hit bottom and will now start making the climb back up. But what do I know?
Slightly better for certain fields, yes that is true.

But overall its worse, I am shocked by the irresonpsiblity of people moving here without a job. Some people think its still 1998 in Charlotte.

Yes, we have chiciquta and a few others moving here, Big freaking whoop
I personally know 2 people moving with Chiquita who said many of those jobs are gonna go for people who know people within chiquita.

Btw - this is not pessimism, its reality. Its better to accept the situation and make other plans.

I have looked at army, police, fire, going back to school since the job market is so shot to heck in Charlotte.

What other alternatives have you guys thought of?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:38 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpaulrunner12 View Post
Slightly better for certain fields, yes that is true.

But overall its worse, I am shocked by the irresonpsiblity of people moving here without a job. Some people think its still 1998 in Charlotte.

Yes, we have chiciquta and a few others moving here, Big freaking whoop
I personally know 2 people moving with Chiquita who said many of those jobs are gonna go for people who know people within chiquita.

Btw - this is not pessimism, its reality. Its better to accept the situation and make other plans.

I have looked at army, police, fire, going back to school since the job market is so shot to heck in Charlotte.

What other alternatives have you guys thought of?

Yep, reality can be a hard pill to swallow. Too many people moving here and not enough jobs. Why anyone would move without a job is just crazytalk.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpaulrunner12 View Post
Exactly, obviously the previous poster has lived under a rock for the past year.
From the Charlotte observer to the local news - all you hear is how the job market is growing by leaps and bounds which is bunk.
Its worse than is 2008-2009.
There is no recovery, the only thing he does know is that gas prices are approaching 2008 highs.
Wait till the summer, the end of q2 and the dow goes higher - gas will explode to 4.50.
People don't realize that the dow going over 13k means that people are spending money again and not saving.
The dow goes up , oil goes up, and gas goes up.
Please post the reports that say we are growing by leaps and bounds in the job market.

I haven't seen or known anyone who points at the DOW as proof jobs are abundant

One could say you are the one living under a rock because I don't know anyone running around talking about how great things are or how there are too many jobs unfilled. You guys are preaching to the choir. Who are these entities who are gushing over how abundant jobs are? Just because they report positive job numbers it doesn't mean they are saying there are millions of jobs.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM

Lovemountains said slightly better in some fields. I've heard the same thing... slightly better but a long way to go and more than likely we will never get back to 2006 -07 numbers.

I'm not trying to be difficult I'm just curious to know who these people are who say Charlotte or NC in general is the land of milk and honey.

I still think people who want cheaper housing/rent and are willing to work in the service industrry until they find something in their field will choose Charlotte over more expensive cities.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:47 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
It's getting better, which isn't saying a lot. People see job announcements & get the wrong impression. They think that these are "extra" jobs. Most medical people swear that we're wrong when we say that the market is tight. . .until they can't get a job.

It's bad all over, except North Dakota & maybe Texas. There isn't a good answer except to continue to inform people that it's probably no better than where they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte