Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 PM

35 posts, read 61,794 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any locations in the area to go to get Amateur Radio Equipment, or other radio equipment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
There was a ham-fest this past weekend and another one in Shelby I think in May? (I could be way off on that). It is my understanding from someone who has been in this a long time, this is the best place to pick up equipment and all of the bric-a-brac for it. There aren't any stores that cater to this hobby in the area, that I have heard them speak of.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 AM

277 posts, read 660,867 times
Do a search for a forum member by the name of "Radio Ron".

Hasn't posted in some time, but I remember him being a Ham/antique radio collector located somewhere in the Wesley Chapel area.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
I just learned is....

Contact this man...if he does not have it, he will lead you in the right direction.

The WireMan - Your source for coax, connectors, wire, baluns,and more!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
This past weekend's ham fest was awesome!

Old 03-14-2012, 04:29 PM

153 posts, read 474,113 times
A couple of clarifications ... The Shelby Hamfest (which actually now occurs in Dallas / Gaston Co) is always on Labor Day Weekend (Sept 1 and 2, this year).

Wireman does not handle any radio equipment ... just the antenna-related items. And they do a good job of that ... at a reasonable price. I bought some cable from them on Sunday at the Charlotte Hamfest (which is now held in Concord). He has a sales area at all the local hamfests.

Between now and Labor Day, there are "local" hamfests in Columbia, Raleigh, Salisbury, Winston-Salem and Spartanburg (although it's now called the Greenville Upstate Hamfest). Rock Hill will have a hamfest in late September or the beginning of October.

From a post the OP made on another forum, I presume he is looking to buy his first ham radio (he just recently got his FCC license).

Neocharles - If you're looking to quickly get on the air, but unsure of what features you want in a ham radio, consider buying one of the discount handhelds available from numerous sources.

For $100-125, you can get a 2-meter / 440 Wouman or TYT handheld with decent performance specs and features. The only bad thing I can say about them is that the Chinese have a real problem with translating their radio manuals into English.

Once you figure out what you want in a ham radio, you can then spend several times more than the Wouman or TYT for the radio you REALLY want.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM

93 posts, read 167,215 times
Is there no Ham Radio Outlet near there?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Indian Land View Post
A couple of clarifications ... The Shelby Hamfest (which actually now occurs in Dallas / Gaston Co) is always on Labor Day Weekend (Sept 1 and 2, this year).

Wireman does not handle any radio equipment ... just the antenna-related items. And they do a good job of that ... at a reasonable price. I bought some cable from them on Sunday at the Charlotte Hamfest (which is now held in Concord). He has a sales area at all the local hamfests.

Between now and Labor Day, there are "local" hamfests in Columbia, Raleigh, Salisbury, Winston-Salem and Spartanburg (although it's now called the Greenville Upstate Hamfest). Rock Hill will have a hamfest in late September or the beginning of October.

From a post the OP made on another forum, I presume he is looking to buy his first ham radio (he just recently got his FCC license).

Neocharles - If you're looking to quickly get on the air, but unsure of what features you want in a ham radio, consider buying one of the discount handhelds available from numerous sources.

For $100-125, you can get a 2-meter / 440 Wouman or TYT handheld with decent performance specs and features. The only bad thing I can say about them is that the Chinese have a real problem with translating their radio manuals into English.

Once you figure out what you want in a ham radio, you can then spend several times more than the Wouman or TYT for the radio you REALLY want.
How is the Shelby Hamfest in comparison to the Charlotte Hamfest? Is it larger? Or about the same? Thanks!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
How is the Shelby Hamfest in comparison to the Charlotte Hamfest? Is it larger? Or about the same? Thanks!
Shelby has more commercial vendors, but some vendors do both events (Ham Radio Outlet, MFJ, Wireman, RBJ).

Shelby has far more flea market vendors than Charlotte, but the Shelby flea market area is entirely outdoors (Charlotte is indoors).

Both are considerably smaller hamfests than when they were located at the Cleveland Co Fairgrounds, and the Old Colliseum on Independence Blvd, respectively.

The Shelby Hamfest is held at a Gaston Co park, just off Hwy 321. There is one main building with limited space for the commercial vendors. Some smaller vendors will locate in covered enclosures on the grounds.

The Shelby flea market area covers alot of ground. It is very much a tailgating atmosphere ... not only can you find whatever you're looking for, but you can do alot of talking, negotiating and learning.

Although I enjoy the scope of the Shelby Hamfest, any rain in the forecast is always a concern.

Weather is not a concern with the Charlotte Hamfest, which is totally indoors on Hwy 49 near Concord.

Personally, I also enjoy some of the smaller hamfests when the weather cooperates. The Rock Hill Hamfest has been held in the parking lot of a church just off I-77 the past couple of years. A few commercial vendors, 20-30 flea market vendors ... you can chat, shop and have a donut and coffee, and still be home for lunch.

People interested in amateur radio hamfests can find out additional information on most events via the ARRL at:

Hamfests and Conventions Calendar

In my previous post, I forgot to mention the Catawba Valley Hamfest in Morganton when referring to "local" ham radio events.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
Is there no Ham Radio Outlet near there?
Near Charlotte ? No, there is not.

The closest HRO store is in Atlanta. Although they do setup at both the Charlotte and Shelby hamfests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte