U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 PM

693 posts, read 1,957,151 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I was just out for my walk and got to thinking about foliage. Leaves are starting to change unusually early up North this year. Generally the leaves don't peak here until mid October. Years of living in SoFL made me ridiculously excited about Fall, so now that I am in the Northeast I watch for the leaves daily :-)

What is autumn like in the surrounding areas of Charlotte? I know you have 4 seasons but, do you get a lot of fall foliage and if so whats the peak time for leaf peeping? Are the mountains a good place to go for scenic drives that time of year?

I kind of remember from driving from Florida to NJ that you had leaves way longer than we did, but do they turn?

Also, Whats the weather on a typical Halloween? Can you wear a costume without a coat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:24 AM

693 posts, read 1,957,151 times
Really, Nobody? Someone besides me must like to watch the leaves change...

Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Really, Nobody? Someone besides me must like to watch the leaves change...
I think we all love when the leaves change. It's just hard to think about it until the weather turns a little cooler

Here is a link I found useful last fall:

The Foliage Network -

In Charlotte the peak weak is about the 1st of November - really beautiful then. The mountains are the place to go for the real show however. Drive up onto the parkway near Grandfather Mountain between the 2nd and 3rd week of October to hit the peak there. Hope this helps

Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 AM

915 posts, read 2,311,486 times
No one is quite sure what we'll get for leaf color this fall due to the severe drought, coupled with the very late hard freeze we had that basically wrecked the apple crop. As stated above, usually in the mountains mid-October is the peak, but could differ this year.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:19 AM

237 posts, read 235,622 times
it was on the news somewhere that there will be a record high apple crop this year, or did i dream that?

Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 AM

915 posts, read 2,311,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsqm3 View Post
it was on the news somewhere that there will be a record high apple crop this year, or did i dream that?
You must have been dreaming. Take a look at this article. Apple crop 30-40 % of usual. The Hendersonville Apple Festival actually had to import apples this year in order to even put on the festival.

CITIZEN-TIMES.com: A lost season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte