U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Well said!

You will find that Ani is our resident Ebeneezer Scrooge when it comes to anything related to workers.
LOL. You got it, Coped. I think at least half the workforce is made up of people who have no real commitment to their employers.

And you see a lot of them wasting time preparing for lunch and settling down after lunch. It is just food. No wonder we have so much obesity in this country - everyone is fixated on what they are gonna eat next, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Dang Ani..

The sun will come out tomorrow!
LOL. It did. And I stlil think people make too big a deal about lunch.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans33 View Post
People have the right to choose where to go and of what their lunch consists. That’s the essence of a lunch “break.” People are supposed to brown bag it or defer to the in-house crapoteria because it improves your productivity and bottom line? Hint—productivity is higher among employees motivated by empowerment and not fear. Such as the empowerment to manage their free time. Save it for the weekends? Please.

In house cafeterias rarely operate profitably because the crap they serve fails to compete with free market offerings--even in Uptown. Said cafeterias often resort to subsidized pricing and cost support in order to actually draw customers. This comes from the same bottom line as suboptimal productivity (from employees supposedly fretting about lunch parking, never mind that many places are walking distance.

If I were forced to eat the same cafeteria grog everyday, rest assured the ensuing depression would impact my productivity. But the specter of having 1 hour of freedom to venture outside and eat something different may just put an extra spring in my step.

I agree with the thread’s sentiment that Uptown lunch choices are many but unrewarding. These businesses seem geared toward the tourist crowd, where quality takes a backseat to maximized profit. I thus patronize Dilworth and South End for better quality / value / health options.
I loved working in hospitals and nursing homes so I could eat the food onsite, lol. So we are not gonna see this the same way. I can imagine that most folks would want a change of scenery. I can work in a room with no windows and see no one all day and be happy. But that is me.

I hope you find what you want to eat and can enjoy your day. I do think Charlotte has plenty of selections if someone looks. And there is always brown bagging, wh/ besides being a big savings is a good way to guarantee the quality of what a person is consuming.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL. You got it, Coped. I think at least half the workforce is made up of people who have no real commitment to their employers.

And you see a lot of them wasting time preparing for lunch and settling down after lunch. It is just food. No wonder we have so much obesity in this country - everyone is fixated on what they are gonna eat next, lol.
Why would they? Employers no longer have a commitment to their employees...

As far as obesity.... I wouldn't be surprised if the person who gets up and walks 5 or 6 blocks to get a big mac burns more energy then the person who brown bags it and eats a salad in the closet.

How does a person waste 2 hours due to lunch? Who takes an hour to decide what to eat... and then another hour to digest after lunch? Where can I get this job?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 AM

841 posts, read 1,237,575 times
Quote:
That's a rather blanket statement. I find my employer to be quite committed to me, and I am sure other posters do as well.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:

As far as obesity.... I wouldn't be surprised if the person who gets up and walks 5 or 6 blocks to get a big mac burns more energy then the person who brown bags it and eats a salad in the closet.

How does a person waste 2 hours due to lunch? Who takes an hour to decide what to eat... and then another hour to digest after lunch? Where can I get this job?
I stated, from my experience over a lifetime career, that I believe about 50 % of workers don't feel committed to their employers. Let me expand without taking this too far off track . . . I believe about half of the workers in this country do not feel a deep sense of personal connection to and responsibility for the success of the companies for which they work.

And yes, folks waste time preparing for lunch and then settling down after lunch. You haven't observed that 45 mins b/f lunch, the queries start, the texting, the emails, the phone calls, the stop-bys at desks and cubicles . . . with the daily question: what are you doing for lunch? And then folks come back in and the talk continues and the texts continue about lunch, lunch conversation, the service at lunch - whatever! I would say about 50% of employees engage in this behavior.

Those are my observations. And as far as gaining weight, I am only passing on what I have heard others say and what I have observed - about eating too many calories at lunch. If you don't have that problem, that is great! But seeing as how more than half the workforce in this country is overweight . . . maybe taking a closer look at what folks are consuming for lunch and making some real effort to bring salads and other low calorie selections may help overall with obesity. As far as walking - any time spent walking during lunch is great. We should be walking 10K steps a day and I don't know about you, but I fall dismally short of that goal 90% of the time.

But the OP asked about lunch selections and why there is nothing healthy in Charlotte. I still say . . . if you can't find what you want, bring your own lunch - and save the gastronomic adventures for the weekend.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
That's a rather blanket statement. I find my employer to be quite committed to me, and I am sure other posters do as well.
Riiight. That's rather naive. Unless you're a high-level exec, you are disposable.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,025,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Riiight. That's rather naive. Unless you're a high-level exec, you are disposable.
It might not be naive. That's my situation, as well; my boss is VERY committed to *every* person he hires. I am not a high-level exec, but I know he wouldn't describe any of us as "disposable". He has, before, taken severe cuts in his own pay to make sure he could make payroll, for months at a time, as we were growing the company and some of our clients weren't paying their invoices. I DO think that attitude is rare, but it does happen.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I stated, from my experience over a lifetime career, that I believe about 50 % of workers don't feel committed to their employers. Let me expand without taking this too far off track . . . I believe about half of the workers in this country do not feel a deep sense of personal connection to and responsibility for the success of the companies for which they work.

This deserves a new thread but my response to this would be, "Why should they?" Most workers do not benefit from the success of their company except at the most basic level. If the company does OK, they MIGHT get to keep their job.

Also, many studies have found one of the reasons for the US's higher level of obesity is our "fast food" culture. This is not just that we have lots' of McDonalds et. al., but that we spend a whole lot less time at a table, totally devoting our time to eating food. I've eaten dinners with Chinese and French colleagues lasting AT LEAST two hours. These were not particularly important business deals either, simply social occasions. They took time to enjoy their food and didn't scarf it down. This as opposed to meals with American relatives where the eating was over in 25 minutes.

It's not hard to imagine that people in industries where scarfing down food at the desk or on the job is common, might have higher obesity rates.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
It might not be naive. That's my situation, as well; my boss is VERY committed to *every* person he hires. I am not a high-level exec, but I know he wouldn't describe any of us as "disposable". He has, before, taken severe cuts in his own pay to make sure he could make payroll, for months at a time, as we were growing the company and some of our clients weren't paying their invoices. I DO think that attitude is rare, but it does happen.
I don't dispute that this might happen in a smaller business where the boss has hired people who have helped build a company. My view is colored by my experience which has been working for large corporations for a little more than a decade with a very short stint at a small business whose CEO was borderline sociopath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or