U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM
 
60 posts, read 112,666 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yea..lets not make Charlotte out as a war zone its far from it. It has many safe nice areas. Again, compared to up north it has more crime. That does not mean its unsafe.
Make up your mind is it safe or unsafe??? Or do you need to get your chart out. You spew out bad advice and your Long Island comparision to the Charlotte area is a joke with that chart. Crime is more prevelent in apartment complex's no matter where you live. Sorry you had a bad experience there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 PM
 
60 posts, read 112,666 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Where do you live??? I want to move on your block!
Tons of us have moved here from Long Island. Also NJ,PA,CT,Mass. For the last 5yrs I meet them every day. Every day. Im a Tractor trailer delivery driver. If its much more unsafer here why do they keep coming. Its only slowed because of the economy. Try getting crime stats from CMPD or Union County Sheriff if you need them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,282,900 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
NY suburbs have been developing since the 1600s and haven't gone through nearly the number of upheavals and changes that the South overall has experienced. Populations are largely stable. They are safer. Sorry, that is just true.
This is entirely untrue. Long Island was predominately farms and oyster fishing businesses until the 1920s. The real suburban expansion didn't happen out there until the 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
 
9,585 posts, read 8,890,950 times
Reputation: 5814
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
Make up your mind is it safe or unsafe??? Or do you need to get your chart out. You spew out bad advice and your Long Island comparision to the Charlotte area is a joke with that chart. Crime is more prevelent in apartment complex's no matter where you live. Sorry you had a bad experience there.
Who said it was unsafe??? I never did ...I SAID there is more crime in Charlotte than up north...thats ALL I said!

Right, its only FBI data on crime...how can that be accurate? It doesnt fit what YOU want to believe so throw it out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 AM
 
60 posts, read 112,666 times
Reputation: 47
Long Island Crime & Police Reports - Newsday.com
This is just in one weeks time on Long Isand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 AM
 
9,585 posts, read 8,890,950 times
Reputation: 5814
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
Long Island Crime & Police Reports - Newsday.com
This is just in one weeks time on Long Isand.
Hmm...what would we find if we pull a crime blotter here? heh..ok enough for me on this. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,787 posts, read 8,436,546 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
This is entirely untrue. Long Island was predominately farms and oyster fishing businesses until the 1920s. The real suburban expansion didn't happen out there until the 1950s.
I know and I didn't want to appear to be picking on that poster so I didn't reply. Most of the construction happened in the 60s, 70s... continued on through the 80s as they built on every free sqft of land available. Hey, is that a gas station in my backyard?! Aluminum wiring, balloon framing - all on the cheap, terribly insulated... on and on. 40 and 50 years later with not a single update demanding $500k+. These same people make fun of lousy construction from today's builders in the Charlotte metro. Blows my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Who said it was unsafe??? I never did ...I SAID there is more crime in Charlotte than up north...thats ALL I said!

Right, its only FBI data on crime...how can that be accurate? It doesnt fit what YOU want to believe so throw it out...
Are you talking about the actual FBI site where you can view preliminary data for the 1st 6 months of 2011 or Sperling which I can't tell what data they use (preliminary or data from 2010 which is the last official complete report available from the FBI)... Sperling seems to use some magical hidden sekret sauce formula with many, many "data sources".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
 
9,585 posts, read 8,890,950 times
Reputation: 5814
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I know and I didn't want to appear to be picking on that poster so I didn't reply. Most of the construction happened in the 60s, 70s... continued on through the 80s as they built on every free sqft of land available. Hey, is that a gas station in my backyard?! Aluminum wiring, balloon framing - all on the cheap, terribly insulated... on and on. 40 and 50 years later with not a single update demanding $500k+. These same people make fun of lousy construction from today's builders in the Charlotte metro. Blows my mind.



Are you talking about the actual FBI site where you can view preliminary data for the 1st 6 months of 2011 or Sperling which I can't tell what data they use (preliminary or data from 2010 which is the last official complete report available from the FBI)... Sperling seems to use some magical hidden sekret sauce formula with many, many "data sources".

I used Sperling... they claim its from FBI reported data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Union County
5,787 posts, read 8,436,546 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I used Sperling... they claim its from FBI reported data.
That's what troubles me when you boil it all down to a single number... XYZville is a "5" which is "based on FBI reported data". Yet, when you look at the FBI itself, their last official release of stats was for 2010 and in some cases they go back and put asterisks on certain municipalities when they realize after the fact that they weren't reporting crime stats according to their rules... so when you look at a single number - you don't realize it's likely going off of up to 2 year old data and there doesn't seem to be any provision for when a municipality gets flagged by the FBI for reporting issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
Tons of us have moved here from Long Island. Also NJ,PA,CT,Mass. For the last 5yrs I meet them every day. Every day. Im a Tractor trailer delivery driver. If its much more unsafer here why do they keep coming. Its only slowed because of the economy. Try getting crime stats from CMPD or Union County Sheriff if you need them.
Cost of Living

Again as someone stated prior, the difference between other cities and here is the crime is centrally located in other cities. In other words, sectioned in certain neighborhoods. In Charlotte metro (talking specifically Mecklenburg and Gaston counties), you can be in perceived nice area and still have crime around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top