U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:20 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,346,485 times

Advertisements

Charlotte is pretty safe but it's a city and all cities have crime...

I wouldn't put too much stock into the number of threads on crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM

330 posts, read 931,986 times
As you are coming from LI, overall I have to say that Charlotte is NOT safe compared to what you are used to. In most of the NY metropolitan area you know exactly what towns/areas to avoid, and there is enough of a degree of separation between bad areas and good areas that you can live your day to day life without ever having to really think about crime. That is not the case here. In Charlotte, you can see $300k+ homes one block away from extremely high crime areas, which can be very confusing to newcomers. On your way from one crime free oasis to another you will pass through some neighborhoods that in some ways resemble war zones. It isn't Detroit by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly isn't Ronkonkoma.

Do not be fooled by uptown during the day. Go there at night, or better yet on some special event. There is a severe "thug" problem in this town, and like many southern cities they underreport crime. The court system is bogged down so only a very small percentage of "quality of life" crimes are fully prosecuted, and the jails have a revolving door.

Even some of the crime free oasis zones are trending towards sketchy, and that is something I have noticed happening just since I moved to the area in 2007. You aren't likely to get mugged, but you are increasingly likely to have your car broken into.

Admittedly I have had a particularly bad experience in Charlotte, so I may have clouded judgement to a degree ... but I would think twice about coming to Charlotte unless you are ready to be far more crime-aware than you may be used to being on LI.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
As you are coming from LI, overall I have to say that Charlotte is NOT safe compared to what you are used to. In most of the NY metropolitan area you know exactly what towns/areas to avoid, and there is enough of a degree of separation between bad areas and good areas that you can live your day to day life without ever having to really think about crime. That is not the case here. In Charlotte, you can see $300k+ homes one block away from extremely high crime areas, which can be very confusing to newcomers. On your way from one crime free oasis to another you will pass through some neighborhoods that in some ways resemble war zones. It isn't Detroit by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly isn't Ronkonkoma.

Do not be fooled by uptown during the day. Go there at night, or better yet on some special event. There is a severe "thug" problem in this town, and like many southern cities they underreport crime. The court system is bogged down so only a very small percentage of "quality of life" crimes are fully prosecuted, and the jails have a revolving door.

Even some of the crime free oasis zones are trending towards sketchy, and that is something I have noticed happening just since I moved to the area in 2007. You aren't likely to get mugged, but you are increasingly likely to have your car broken into.

Admittedly I have had a particularly bad experience in Charlotte, so I may have clouded judgement to a degree ... but I would think twice about coming to Charlotte unless you are ready to be far more crime-aware than you may be used to being on LI.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Good analysis my friend

Here's are the main points I want any newcomer to take away...

Charlotte is not a sleepy big town anymore. It's a big city with some big city issues.

Treat it as such and you'll be very safe.

Don't go to ATM's at 2 in the morning, don't walk alone uptown when the bars are closing. Don't leave your garage up all night long. Don't leave your purse in your car in the driveway overnight. USE COMMON SENSE.

Murders here are very rarely random. Most victims know their killer.

Property crime is a much bigger thing to be concerned about.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:17 PM

9,568 posts, read 8,851,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good analysis my friend

Here's are the main points I want any newcomer to take away...

Charlotte is not a sleepy big town anymore. It's a big city with some big city issues.

Treat it as such and you'll be very safe.

Don't go to ATM's at 2 in the morning, don't walk alone uptown when the bars are closing. Don't leave your garage up all night long. Don't leave your purse in your car in the driveway overnight. USE COMMON SENSE.

Murders here are very rarely random. Most victims know their killer.

Property crime is a much bigger thing to be concerned about.

The most important point is that crime here is not confined to certain areas as the poster above stated. Up in the Northeast there is plenty of crime, but it stays put. The suburbs are relatively safe. You know where you can and cannot go and you obey those rules. Here it seems to happen more randomly and the criminal element seems to be more apt to strike anywhere.

Oh and the summer heat brings more crime, and you guys sure have enough of that here. There, I got my last parting shot at the weather in!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM

156 posts, read 262,281 times
I have to admit...I WAS really excited about relocating to NC. Now,,,not so much

Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM

152 posts, read 250,705 times
Does this hold true for the southern end? Around ballantyne and Marvin?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
I have to admit...I WAS really excited about relocating to NC. Now,,,not so much
Honestly, if you let this keep you from coming to NC I'll personally have to laugh at you

Especially because you are looking at going to Union County and will be NO WHERE NEAR anything scary or undesirable

Seriously, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. For a city its size Charlotte is not scary at all compared to others of the same size.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:28 AM

60 posts, read 112,423 times
Weve been here 5yrs from LI . Were in Union County. I dont find this area or the greater Charlotte area unsafer than LI or NYC.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,311,838 times
I don't know if this add anything but I have several friends in the University area and they each have a security door brace on the paito door at back of the house . Also, in the subdivision my mother used to live in (she sold it $30K lost), there have been car break ins. Also a friend of mine from Atlanta moved to the Matthews area. One month in, he went on vacation and someone tried to break in his house. One other thing. Someone broke into my car last year.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,852,337 times
I think the person talking about how there are no "buffer zones" to high-crime areas in the South is what probably scared the OP away from Charlotte. There are no set boundaries or streets between "safe" and "unsafe" here but the whole area is relatively safe. If you're planning on moving to Union County, it's filled mostly with people from NY and NJ anyway so you should be pretty comfortable and safe. It's not "city" or highly urban at all. It's all suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte