Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:32 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,979,448 times

Advertisements

I really don't understand how some flip city/suburb interchangeably to try and make a point... In the OP it was city to city comparison (NYC to Charlotte) - even if you don't necessarily agree you can compare a Charlotte to the 5 boroughs of NYC, it's at least a city to city comparison. However, when you make the leap to compare LI to Charlotte (instead of suburb to suburb), to me you pollute the argument. Of course Meck county/city of Charlotte will see more crime then a suburban county.

Beyond that - LAMF's "scare" post is not only disingenuous (they even admit to having clouded judgment), it's flat out wrong on so many levels. You don't think someone living in Dix Hills 1 block from Wyandanch isn't seeing the exact scenario pointed out in that post... or Brentwood... or Hempstead... or Amityville... or Gordon Heights. It's like someone on LI not knowing about these towns and buying next door to them to find out after the fact they're now living near high crime. So, the issue isn't paying $xxxx a block away from a high crime area - it's about not doing the proper research into making a move. When making an important decision about moving your family you don't let something be "confusing to newcomers"... bad areas are right next to good areas everywhere in the country - the Charlotte metro does not a monopoly on it. These are the exact things you should be looking into before a move. No towns put up signs - "entering war zone - secure your valuables".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 PM

60 posts, read 126,367 times
Lived in NY most of my life and never heard of Pawling, Dont think many have. Not really a good comparison. Wasnt or is there still a serial killer dumping womans bodys by the beach. Break down on the cross bronx and your car will get stripped if you come back the next day to get it. Seems to be alot of bank robberies on the Island. When you go to places you dont belong no matter where you live you put your safety at risk. ex.(gettos)etc.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 PM

60 posts, read 126,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I really don't understand how some flip city/suburb interchangeably to try and make a point... In the OP it was city to city comparison (NYC to Charlotte) - even if you don't necessarily agree you can compare a Charlotte to the 5 boroughs of NYC, it's at least a city to city comparison. However, when you make the leap to compare LI to Charlotte (instead of suburb to suburb), to me you pollute the argument. Of course Meck county/city of Charlotte will see more crime then a suburban county.

Beyond that - LAMF's "scare" post is not only disingenuous (they even admit to having clouded judgment), it's flat out wrong on so many levels. You don't think someone living in Dix Hills 1 block from Wyandanch isn't seeing the exact scenario pointed out in that post... or Brentwood... or Hempstead... or Amityville... or Gordon Heights. It's like someone on LI not knowing about these towns and buying next door to them to find out after the fact they're now living near high crime. So, the issue isn't paying $xxxx a block away from a high crime area - it's about not doing the proper research into making a move. When making an important decision about moving your family you don't let something be "confusing to newcomers"... bad areas are right next to good areas everywhere in the country - the Charlotte metro does not a monopoly on it. These are the exact things you should be looking into before a move. No towns put up signs - "entering war zone - secure your valuables".
Well Said!!!!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,088,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
Lived in NY most of my life and never heard of Pawling, Dont think many have. Not really a good comparison. Wasnt or is there still a serial killer dumping womans bodys by the beach. Break down on the cross bronx and your car will get stripped if you come back the next day to get it. Seems to be alot of bank robberies on the Island. When you go to places you dont belong no matter where you live you put your safety at risk. ex.(gettos)etc.
What are you talking the 1970's and 80's? You are not likely to get your car stripped in the year 2012 on the Cross Bronx although anything is possible. Heh in the 70's and early 80's they would strip your car while you were sitting in it. NYC was a war zone back then.....again, nobody is saying there is no crime in the urban areas of NY City. But all I have been trying to state is the suburbs of Charlotte are more apt to have crime (especially property crime) than the suburbs of NY....

Last edited by jp03; 03-18-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 03:37 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,678,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Also, NYC itself is also a 6 in violent crime and a 3 in property crime compared to Charlotte's two 8s. In general, it's a statistical fact that the South is the most violent, crime-ridden region of the country.

Here's a good map showing the safest areas of the city in the darkest blue.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
This is very true

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 03:38 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,678,136 times
Quote:

But Wyandanch crime dose not spill into Dix Hills. I would know since I am from there.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM

152 posts, read 290,793 times
I currently live on Long Island...hopefully relocating to Marvin this summer...but I can give you an update about LI. Bank robberies have been on the rise...so has break-ins, car theft, etc. A lot of talk about heroin being an issue with teens but thankfully I have not seen that. Btw - worked in the Bronx for 5 years and only had one car stolen near my job. Lol
I completely agree with Mikey. You can purchase a beautiful, VERY expensive home in Dix Hills and be close to Wyandanch. Deer park is unfortunately not looking great anymore too. My concern about moving to NC is buying somewhere and not knowing about the areas close by. I need to feel safe in my home...esp for my family. Hoping The Marvin area is the right choice.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times
Quote:

To be fair my friend, LAMF is really not disingenuous.

He really did have a horrific experience when he purchased in the wrong place in Charlotte. He was being gracious to admit that experience may have "clouded his judgement". Once you've been victimized by terrorist thugs it's hard not to feel like the whole city is unsafe I'm sure.

Totally agree with you about not polluting the argument. Some folks are making comparisons that are like trying to compare apples to oranges.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM

156 posts, read 307,916 times
So where was that "wrong place in Charlotte"?? Would like to stay clear of that area.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,962,568 times
"terrorist thugs", Loves?? We are not in Baghdad!!

Thugs, yes. Gangs...well...they are gang wanna-bes, rarely do we have the big time gangbusters here. But, TERRORIST thugs??

Haven't even seen those guys in Chicago (the place where gangs began!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte