U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2012, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Reputation: 39865

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
"terrorist thugs", Loves?? We are not in Baghdad!!

Thugs, yes. Gangs...well...they are gang wanna-bes, rarely do we have the big time gangbusters here. But, TERRORIST thugs??

Haven't even seen those guys in Chicago (the place where gangs began!)
LAMF was terrorized by crack house thugs and drug runners - therefore I called them "terrorist thugs". Sounds like a good description to me. If he disagrees with my terminology I hope he will chime in and say so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2012, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Reputation: 39865
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
So where was that "wrong place in Charlotte"?? Would like to stay clear of that area.
Trust me, you wouldn't be going anywhere near it - it's a "trendy" area being regentrified, or at least it was before the recession, that does not attract people for whom schools are important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 05:08 PM
 
5,887 posts, read 7,744,425 times
Reputation: 3387
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Also, NYC itself is also a 6 in violent crime and a 3 in property crime compared to Charlotte's two 8s. In general, it's a statistical fact that the South is the most violent, crime-ridden region of the country.

Here's a good map showing the safest areas of the city in the darkest blue.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Charlotte an 8 out of 10 for violent crime? I just looked at the website but I still find that hard to believe.

I also think it's tough to compare Charlotte to NYC in terms of property crime. Yeah it can be bad and random in Charlotte, but of course NYC is going to have a low property crime rate because half of the people there don't own cars and and many live in giant apartment buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
The most important point is that crime here is not confined to certain areas as the poster above stated. Up in the Northeast there is plenty of crime, but it stays put. The suburbs are relatively safe. You know where you can and cannot go and you obey those rules. Here it seems to happen more randomly and the criminal element seems to be more apt to strike anywhere.

Oh and the summer heat brings more crime, and you guys sure have enough of that here. There, I got my last parting shot at the weather in!
I disagree with your second point. I think the winter brings more crime since it's a whole lot easier to wear a hoody when it's 30 degrees out than when it's 80. Plus the freezing cold makes (most) people miserable.

I agree with your first point though, and I never really understood why that was the case in the northeast. You'd think a criminal would rather rob someone that actually has nice things to take, and would be less likely to rob you back.

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 05:23 PM
 
9,582 posts, read 8,886,049 times
Reputation: 5813
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Charlotte an 8 out of 10 for violent crime? I just looked at the website but I still find that hard to believe.

I also think it's tough to compare Charlotte to NYC in terms of property crime. Yeah it can be bad and random in Charlotte, but of course NYC is going to have a low property crime rate because half of the people there don't own cars and and many live in giant apartment buildings.



I disagree with your second point. I think the winter brings more crime since it's a whole lot easier to wear a hoody when it's 30 degrees out than when it's 80. Plus the freezing cold makes (most) people miserable.

I agree with your first point though, and I never really understood why that was the case in the northeast. You'd think a criminal would rather rob someone that actually has nice things to take, and would be less likely to rob you back.

I am pretty sure summer crime numbers are always higher everywhere. Hot weather makes alot of people miserable too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM
 
414 posts, read 1,148,450 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
I need to feel safe in my home...esp for my family. Hoping The Marvin area is the right choice.
Marvin is a great choice. Unless you are a person that requires the hustle and bustle of a major city to be happy, you will find very little negative with calling Marvin home. It is very safe. Good luck in your relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Reputation: 39865
Every so often, for years now, these crime threads pop up.

Here's an older one that some of the same folks on this thread commented on back then, might interest some of you

Citizens patrol Plaza Midwood - with guns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 PM
 
60 posts, read 112,631 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
I currently live on Long Island...hopefully relocating to Marvin this summer...but I can give you an update about LI. Bank robberies have been on the rise...so has break-ins, car theft, etc. A lot of talk about heroin being an issue with teens but thankfully I have not seen that. Btw - worked in the Bronx for 5 years and only had one car stolen near my job. Lol
I completely agree with Mikey. You can purchase a beautiful, VERY expensive home in Dix Hills and be close to Wyandanch. Deer park is unfortunately not looking great anymore too. My concern about moving to NC is buying somewhere and not knowing about the areas close by. I need to feel safe in my home...esp for my family. Hoping The Marvin area is the right choice.
Marvin is real nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 08:57 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,281,319 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I disagree with your second point. I think the winter brings more crime since it's a whole lot easier to wear a hoody when it's 30 degrees out than when it's 80. Plus the freezing cold makes (most) people miserable.
This is a joke, right? Hoodies = crime? Really? It's well established fact that crime rates rise in hot weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I agree with your first point though, and I never really understood why that was the case in the northeast. You'd think a criminal would rather rob someone that actually has nice things to take, and would be less likely to rob you back.
This is the case everywhere. Poor people are more vulnerable to crime. They're easier targets and less likely to go to police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 AM
 
5,887 posts, read 7,744,425 times
Reputation: 3387
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
This is a joke, right? Hoodies = crime? Really? It's well established fact that crime rates rise in hot weather.



This is the case everywhere. Poor people are more vulnerable to crime. They're easier targets and less likely to go to police.
I didn't say hoodies = crime. But it's easier to commit crimes in hoodies (or ski caps) since people won't be able to get as good of a look at you, and you can hide more stuff (like guns or whatever you just stole) underneath of a hoodie. I did read some stuff saying crime rates rise in hot weather, but it's not because people are miserable, it seems like it's just because there's more people outside doing things so there's more chances for crime to occur.

I know it's the case in many places. I just think it's dumb on the criminal's part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 AM
 
9,582 posts, read 8,886,049 times
Reputation: 5813
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Charlotte an 8 out of 10 for violent crime? I just looked at the website but I still find that hard to believe.

I also think it's tough to compare Charlotte to NYC in terms of property crime. Yeah it can be bad and random in Charlotte, but of course NYC is going to have a low property crime rate because half of the people there don't own cars and and many live in giant apartment buildings.



I disagree with your second point. I think the winter brings more crime since it's a whole lot easier to wear a hoody when it's 30 degrees out than when it's 80. Plus the freezing cold makes (most) people miserable.

I agree with your first point though, and I never really understood why that was the case in the northeast. You'd think a criminal would rather rob someone that actually has nice things to take, and would be less likely to rob you back.

An interesting point ... Matthews is a 6,7 out of 10 for violent and property crime. Belmont is a 7,7 out of 10. Concord is 5,6. Gastonia is 8,10. Meanwhile, Yonkers NY is only 5,2 and Mount Vernon 7,4. According to that there is more property crime in Matthews than there is in Yonkers and Mount Vernon ....if its true that is a real eye opener.

Even Newark, NJ is only 7,5 and this is a place people regard to as crime central in the northeast.

For the Long Island Circuit here:
Amityville 3,3
Wyandanch 4,4
Hempstead 6,3
Woodbury 2,3
Islip 4,4
Jericho 4,4

Last edited by jp03; 03-19-2012 at 06:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top