Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,100,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
I currently live on Long Island...hopefully relocating to Marvin this summer...but I can give you an update about LI. Bank robberies have been on the rise...so has break-ins, car theft, etc. A lot of talk about heroin being an issue with teens but thankfully I have not seen that. Btw - worked in the Bronx for 5 years and only had one car stolen near my job. Lol
I completely agree with Mikey. You can purchase a beautiful, VERY expensive home in Dix Hills and be close to Wyandanch. Deer park is unfortunately not looking great anymore too. My concern about moving to NC is buying somewhere and not knowing about the areas close by. I need to feel safe in my home...esp for my family. Hoping The Marvin area is the right choice.
Marvin is one of the best areas to live in. Best schools and as safe as it gets.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 AM

156 posts, read 307,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
An interesting point ... Matthews is a 6,7 out of 10 for violent and property crime. Belmont is a 7,7 out of 10. Concord is 5,6. Gastonia is 8,10. Meanwhile, Yonkers NY is only 5,2 and Mount Vernon 7,4. According to that there is more property crime in Matthews than there is in Yonkers and Mount Vernon ....if its true that is a real eye opener.

Even Newark, NJ is only 7,5 and this is a place people regard to as crime central in the northeast.

For the Long Island Circuit here:
Amityville 3,3
Wyandanch 4,4
Hempstead 6,3
Woodbury 2,3
Islip 4,4
Jericho 4,4
Yes JP03...not sure how accurate this website is...those stats seem off to me too. I would assume Matthews is safer than Yonkers.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM

10,004 posts, read 11,065,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Marvin is one of the best areas to live in. Best schools and as safe as it gets.
Good luck!
Yep Marvin is 3,3 won't get safer than that there.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 AM

[quote=MovingLItoNC;23468145]Yes JP03...not sure how accurate this website is...those stats seem off to me too. I would assume Matthews is safer than Yonkers.[/QUOTE

Seems crazy but its off FBI data. I think the property crime is more telling than the violent crime stat. In a small town one murder probably brings that number up artificially high. Its the property crime that is telling.

Last edited by jp03; 03-19-2012 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 AM

15,360 posts, read 12,544,787 times
Quote:
An interesting point ... Matthews is a 6,7 out of 10 for violent and property crime. Belmont is a 7,7 out of 10. Concord is 5,6. Gastonia is 8,10. Meanwhile, Yonkers NY is only 5,2 and Mount Vernon 7,4. According to that there is more property crime in Matthews than there is in Yonkers and Mount Vernon ....if its true that is a real eye opener.

Even Newark, NJ is only 7,5 and this is a place people regard to as crime central in the northeast.

Amityville 3,3
Wyandanch 4,4
Hempstead 6,3
Woodbury 2,3
Islip 4,4
Jericho 4,4
These stats are bunk. I think property crimes are reported much more often in the South then up North.

In my honest opinion I think the lack of hustle and bustle makes the crimes sound worse than they are in Charlotte..... up North half the crimes that sound soooo scary wouldn't even make the news up North.

This doesn't mean that Charlotte doesn't have real crime.... but some of the posters make downtown Charlotte sound like Iraq.

I'm willing to bet most people who talk bad about downtown RARELY go down there...

The biggest problem downtown on busy nights is large groups of drunk girls in tight clothing.....which isn't scary at all unless they are grossly over weight.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
These stats are bunk. I think property crimes are reported much more often in the South then up North.

In my honest opinion I think the lack of hustle and bustle makes the crimes sound worse than they are in Charlotte..... up North half the crimes that sound soooo scary wouldn't even make the news up North.

This doesn't mean that Charlotte doesn't have real crime.... but some of the posters make downtown Charlotte sound like Iraq.

I'm willing to bet most people who talk bad about downtown RARELY go down there...

The biggest problem downtown on busy nights is large groups of drunk girls in tight clothing.....which isn't scary at all unless they are grossly over weight.
Heh..thats right the facts don't line up with you want to see so it must not be true.

Why would you think crime is not reported up north? Are you guessing?

Here are others Pineville 10,10. Hickory 8,10 Statesville 8,9.....when you look at NY City area numbers the larger towns surrounding are way lower. I admit some of these cities could be off... (Matthews seems odd with a 6 violent crime) but all of them???? No way.

Last edited by jp03; 03-19-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 AM

15,360 posts, read 12,544,787 times
Quote:
Heh..thats right the facts don't line up with you want to see so it must not be true.

Why would you think crime is not reported up north? Are you guessing?

Here are others Pineville 10,10. Hickory 8,10 Statesville 8,9.....when you look at NY City area numbers the larger towns surrounding are way lower. I admit some of these cities could be off... (Matthews seems odd with a 6 violent crime) but all of them???? No way.
LOL... OK

I would love to meet the village idiot who feels safer in Newark over Pineville or Matthews.

Why should I believe these stats if you are also questioning their accuracy?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
LOL... OK

I would love to meet the village idiot who feels safer in Newark over Pineville or Matthews.
Haha...well I can't argue with you on that ! . Wherever you live just try to be smart and safe and you will do fine

Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
But Wyandanch crime dose not spill into Dix Hills. I would know since I am from there.
I won't necessarily disagree, but since you're from there you know how close "high end" can get to "low end" as it literally can be 1 block - and that was really my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
To be fair my friend, LAMF is really not disingenuous.

He really did have a horrific experience when he purchased in the wrong place in Charlotte. He was being gracious to admit that experience may have "clouded his judgement". Once you've been victimized by terrorist thugs it's hard not to feel like the whole city is unsafe I'm sure.

Totally agree with you about not polluting the argument. Some folks are making comparisons that are like trying to compare apples to oranges.
I get that loves - point taken... However, if I took you into certain parts of Long Island (which LAMF used for the comparison), I think you'd be shocked by how bad it can get in certain areas. Often people lump all of LI into this "safe" bucket and it's frankly untrue. "Thugs", "crack houses", etc - you can just as easily make a mistake buying in the wrong area, too.

Quote:

Amityville 3,3
Wyandanch 4,4
Hempstead 6,3
Woodbury 2,3
Islip 4,4
Jericho 4,4
Stop trying to boil the decision on where to live down to a single crime number - this is not what people should be doing and you're not helping anyone. Comparing smaller towns in the Westchester area to an area the size of Matthews which spans across county lines and is partially in the city is fuzzing up the numbers... I mean seriously, you have to be kidding.

The "Long Island Circuit"... wow. Listening to you Amityville and Wyandanch look sweet - meanwhile I'll send you the address of a couple of strip malls and dare you to park behind them at night walking to your car alone. Your "3" and "4" ratings are a joke based on reality.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

I get that loves - point taken... However, if I took you into certain parts of Long Island (which LAMF used for the comparison), I think you'd be shocked by how bad it can get in certain areas. Often people lump all of LI into this "safe" bucket and it's frankly untrue. "Thugs", "crack houses", etc - you can just as easily make a mistake buying in the wrong area, too.

I completely get what you are saying

In addition, upon reflection I suppose I should not have used the term "terrorist" in my description of what happened to LAMF, given the world we live in these days.

So I will amend my comment to say terrorizing thugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte