U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM

9,582 posts, read 8,886,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I won't necessarily disagree, but since you're from there you know how close "high end" can get to "low end" as it literally can be 1 block - and that was really my point.

I get that loves - point taken... However, if I took you into certain parts of Long Island (which LAMF used for the comparison), I think you'd be shocked by how bad it can get in certain areas. Often people lump all of LI into this "safe" bucket and it's frankly untrue. "Thugs", "crack houses", etc - you can just as easily make a mistake buying in the wrong area, too.

Edit: Matthews numbers were 5,6 not 7,6 ..my mistake. 5 for violent crime makes alot more sense than 7.
Stop trying to boil the decision on where to live down to a single crime number - this is not what people should be doing and you're not helping anyone. Comparing smaller towns in the Westchester area to an area the size of Matthews which spans across county lines and is partially in the city is fuzzing up the numbers... I mean seriously, you have to be kidding.

The "Long Island Circuit"... wow. Listening to you Amityville and Wyandanch look sweet - meanwhile I'll send you the address of a couple of strip malls and dare you to park behind them at night walking to your car alone. Your "3" and "4" ratings are a joke based on reality.
Exactly my point on Long Island!...its just a couple of spots that are bad and the rest of those towns are VERY safe. In fact that argument justifies the numbers even more! Ignore the facts..I don't care..If you think there is less crime in the south so be it. When people look cold hard numbers dead in the eye and dismiss them, there is nothing left to say.

Also, I am not referring to a couple of small towns..the major outlying cities OUTSIDE OF NY "by the numbers" are much safer than the major outlying cities in Charlotte. Does that mean many parts of Charlotte are not safe? Of course not!

Edit: Matthews numbers were 5,6 not 7,6 ..my mistake. 5 for violent crime makes alot more sense than 7.

Last edited by jp03; 03-19-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM
NDL

3,188 posts, read 3,648,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Exactly my point on Long Island!...its just a couple of spots that are bad and the rest of those towns are VERY safe.
It isn't that way anymore.

There *are* a handful of towns where you can go without concern, but it's more and more common to see urban problems cropping up in even good areas.

I personally know of two people who've been mugged at the Broadway Mall, in the middle of the day. Who would think this of Hicksville?

Heroin epidemic in Massapequa.

Look at the nonsense that spills out from Huntington Station...

Didn't Farmingdale have a couple of homicides three or so years ago?

Point is that a lot of what goes on in Long Island is 'hush, hush', or under-reported. Things still happen here.

The thing is that Long Island doesn't have a lot of property crime. I think it's ridiculous that you can't even leave anything on your car seat, while it's parked, in CLT. Likewise, are criminals far more brazen in CLT, than they are on LI - the symptom of having an inadequate police presence in CLT.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
It isn't that way anymore.

There *are* a handful of towns where you can go without concern, but it's more and more common to see urban problems cropping up in even good areas.

I personally know of two people who've been mugged at the Broadway Mall, in the middle of the day. Who would think this of Hicksville?

Heroin epidemic in Massapequa.

Look at the nonsense that spills out from Huntington Station...

Didn't Farmingdale have a couple of homicides three or so years ago?

Point is that a lot of what goes on in Long Island is 'hush, hush', or under-reported. Things still happen here.

The thing is that Long Island doesn't have a lot of property crime. I think it's ridiculous that you can't even leave anything on your car seat, while it's parked, in CLT. Likewise, are criminals far more brazen in CLT, than they are on LI - the symptom of having an inadequate police presence in CLT.
You can't keep a violent crime un-reported I don't think. I'm not saying L.I. is safe at all but its all relative. As for property crime I don't think there is even a comparison as you said.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM

156 posts, read 263,005 times
Crime is definitely under reported on Long Island. I was made aware of local break-ins in my area by my friend who is Suffolk PD. He also keeps me posted on the heroin situation. The break-ins were not mentioned on the news, blogs, etc. I actually posted about the break-ins on a local online Patch..the info was deleted immediately.
My neighborhood is Not Utopia but pretty safe none the less. I still lock my doors, etc.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Crime is definitely under reported on Long Island. I was made aware of local break-ins in my area by my friend who is Suffolk PD. He also keeps me posted on the heroin situation. The break-ins were not mentioned on the news, blogs, etc. I actually posted about the break-ins on a local online Patch..the info was deleted immediately.
My neighborhood is Not Utopia but pretty safe none the less. I still lock my doors, etc.
Live here the way you live there and you should be fine

Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 PM

156 posts, read 263,005 times
BTW - The South shore of Nassau Long Island is "sketchy" at best.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 AM

60 posts, read 112,631 times
If you are moving to the suburbs I dont think you will have any problems. Take another visit to help with your decision.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Well I would bet property crime is definitely under reported in Charlotte too.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 AM

11,773 posts, read 9,382,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
If you are moving to the suburbs I dont think you will have any problems. Take another visit to help with your decision.
I definitely agree....

Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 AM

24 posts, read 31,384 times
There some parts of charlotte and union county that are worse than the Bronx, I don't care what anyone says.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte