U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 AM

5,254 posts, read 3,927,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I definitely agree....
As an fyi I agree also...you WON'T have any problems. All I was trying to say is its less safe here by the numbers than up north. That does not mean there are not many safe areas in Charlotte and it also does not mean up north you are in the clear. I felt the OP was asking for a comparison and that is where the numbers come in. I mean what else can you go by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM

7,193 posts, read 3,593,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
As an fyi I agree also...you WON'T have any problems. All I was trying to say is its less safe here by the numbers than up north. That does not mean there are not many safe areas in Charlotte and it also does not mean up north you are in the clear. I felt the OP was asking for a comparison and that is where the numbers come in. I mean what else can you go by?
I still think those numbers are fishy...

I also think it's reckless to compare surrounding LI cities that are 1 to 2 hours from NYC (realistic commute) vs Pineville and Matthews that are 30 minutes from downtown.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 AM

5,123 posts, read 4,922,919 times
Quote:
Exactly my point on Long Island!...its just a couple of spots that are bad and the rest of those towns are VERY safe. In fact that argument justifies the numbers even more! Ignore the facts..I don't care..If you think there is less crime in the south so be it. When people look cold hard numbers dead in the eye and dismiss them, there is nothing left to say.

Also, I am not referring to a couple of small towns..the major outlying cities OUTSIDE OF NY "by the numbers" are much safer than the major outlying cities in Charlotte. Does that mean many parts of Charlotte are not safe? Of course not!

Edit: Matthews numbers were 5,6 not 7,6 ..my mistake. 5 for violent crime makes alot more sense than 7.
Hey, whatever floats your boat... If you believe Amityville and Marvin are identical or Wyandanch is better then Matthews based on a number on a web site, knock yourself out. I'll drop you off and you can look those cold hard numbers of yours dead in the eye!

Personally I'd advise you stick to complaining about weather and advising people based on that.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 AM

330 posts, read 665,208 times
To the poster who wrote that my statement was "disingenuous":

I bolded the following statement to ward off followups like yours:

"... compared to what you are used to ...."

I know LI and I know Charlotte. I am not even going to bring up crime stats, because they are almost completely dependent on the proclivity of the local police departments to actually report any given crime. I am simply stating that crime (property more so than violent) in Charlotte is spread out over an indefinable area whereas for the most part it is almost completely contained in certain areas in the NY suburbs. The OP can probably leave her garage door unlocked back home, depending on her neighborhood. I did, when I lived in NY and CT. I now live in a "safe" part of this area (statistically), and have still had my car broken into in my own driveway.

I don't exactly know why that is true here ... could have something to do with the prevalence of section 8 housing, could have something to do with extensive bus lines, could have something to do with extreme income disparities in relative close proximities, could have something to do with the rapid growth/change of the area from predominantly manufacturing/agricultural to service/knowledge industry based (and the inevitable social upheaval that this causes) ... could just simply be due to the fact that the weather is hot for so long (and as we all know, heat = higher crime rates).

NY suburbs have been developing since the 1600s and haven't gone through nearly the number of upheavals and changes that the South overall has experienced. Populations are largely stable. They are safer. Sorry, that is just true.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:07 AM

158 posts, read 132,175 times
I think when I posted this thread I should have specified "personal safety". I live in a very "safe" area of Long Island. My GPS was stolen out of my car b/c my car doors were unlocked in my driveway. My neighbors, who also left they doors unlocked, had items stolen. Although, I hated the idea of someone going thru my car, the stolen GPS didn't rattle my life. We have had some local break ins around the holidays but luckily no one was home at the time of the robberies. Items can always be replaced.
Now, someone breaking into my home while I'm home obviously would be a serious issue. Or being a victim of crime as I walk down the street. .

Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Hey, whatever floats your boat... If you believe Amityville and Marvin are identical or Wyandanch is better then Matthews based on a number on a web site, knock yourself out. I'll drop you off and you can look those cold hard numbers of yours dead in the eye!

Personally I'd advise you stick to complaining about weather and advising people based on that.
No need to be personal.

You want to think its safer there Mikey you go RIGHT AHEAD. Enjoy. I don't care anymore I'm outta there. My goal was to respond to an OP who was asking a very honest important question in her quest to make a very important decision. I gave her an answer I thought appropriate.

OP the first WEEK I moved to wonderful Charlotte there was an armed robbery , rape and an assault in my upscale South Charlotte apartment complex. Maybe those atrocities left me a little jaded regarding "safety" in Charlotte. I never even thought about that stuff in NY. Sure it was there but it didnt come out...it stayed put. Sure this was only a couple incidents but watching the helicoptors circling overhead every few days and watching the news every night I realized ...this is NOT NY.

Last edited by jp03; 03-20-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 AM

158 posts, read 132,175 times
Just wondering, where are you moving to JP03?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Just wondering, where are you moving to JP03?
Connecticut

Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 AM

330 posts, read 665,208 times
Quote:
Connecticut
I would move back to CT if I could sell my house. I wasn't born there, but I spent nearly a decade in Danbury.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
I would move back to CT if I could sell my house. I wasn't born there, but I spent nearly a decade in Danbury.
I lived 10 years in Danbury! Love that area. Heh, I am not looking forward to paying Connecticut prices and taxes on a house though ...there is no utopia. But I'd rather be there all said and done than here.

To the OP...give Charlotte a try, you may love it. Many people do. As for bring safe, its not that bad here, you just have to be more aware. Heck crimes can happen anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte