Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times

Advertisements

Living here gives people from larger cities a FALSE sense of security. Crime here is probably not any different from LI (can't say for sure, because I am not from there nor have I even visited there). It is city rules...always. The biggest difference is that the crime is not isolated in particular areas, it does not matter where you live...in the expensive subdivisions...or, the areas that have "starter" homes....crime is there. What matters is your police presence and the community police officers of your area. I live in an area that was plagued with gang traffic and break-ins, cars being stolen and even an armed robbery or two. But, our community police officers took on the challenge and we are now a very quiet area and pretty safe despite the fact that my community is filled with foreclosures (4 on my street alone right now). When an issue pops up, our community police officers are on it, and, quickly the issue is non-existent.

Regardless, I still practice city rules. My windows are security windows and I have two very large, very noisy dogs. I never leave my garage door open unless I am physically out in the yard and, if, for some reason, the car is in the driveway, it is always firmly locked and butts up against the garage (and, thus the house) as close as can be possible. I never answer the door to anyone that I don't know and have just replaced my storm door with one that is a security door. Is this all because I feel unsafe? No, it is so that there is no temptation (or very little, anyway) set out there for the thugs to decide that they are going to make my house their next target. I would do this anywhere I lived.

Remember, you are not moving to a utopia where there is no crime and everything is all peace and quiet. Thugs can drive and they come from all over to infiltrate areas that they think that they can make a few bucks with the least amount of effort. We are also a corridor of crime/drug traffic with our proximity to two major interstates...77 & 85. So, if you keep all that in mind and do not come here with rose-coloured glasses expecting some quiet, sleepy little town, you should be alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF
The court system is bogged down so only a very small percentage of "quality of life" crimes are fully prosecuted, and the jails have a revolving door.
This is the biggest part of the problem. Mecklenburg County's court system is a joke. Most guys don't get fully tried until 2-3 years later due to court system backup. Even when 100% guilty, most of these guys walk. It is why it is norm to hear someone get arrested on the news with a large criminal record; sometimes as high as 25+ offenses. I feel bad for the police officers we do have as they have to catch the same guys over and over.

Other places I have live, including the county I live in across the border (York), criminals that are guilty actually go to jail. That is the difference.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 AM

531 posts, read 1,079,144 times
Well, if I compare some decent areas in NE Ohio/Pittsburgh, I feel lit bit less secured in CLT. May be that's a perception.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
I have to admit...I WAS really excited about relocating to NC. Now,,,not so much
Don't let this forum stifle your enthusiasm for moving to NC. This is a great place to call home. Unfortunately, there are some real "negative nellies" on this forum that treat posting crime issues on CD as a full-time job. Sure, there's crime, but as many others have stated, no more than most cities of its size. There are plenty of areas that are safer than others. This city, as is the case with most new cities, is much much less segregated racially, socioeconomically and culturally than older more established cities. That said, sometimes the boundary lines are bit less obvious. While that does add an extra dimension of criminal opportunity, I think it pales in comparison to the unique opportunity to live and socialize with so many people from all different walks of life.

I see you are interested in Union County. It is a wonderful place to call home. Crime in UC is very minimal, especially the further west of Monroe you are (Monroe has a pretty high crime rate).

Again, come visit, give it a chance. I bet you'll like what you see. Despite what a few pessimistic people continuously type on here from the comfort of their bomb shelter, crime is not out of control and Charlotte is not run by a bunch of "thugs".

Old 03-17-2012, 01:20 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feng21 View Post
Well, if I compare some decent areas in NE Ohio/Pittsburgh, I feel lit bit less secured in CLT. May be that's a perception.
The thing down there that was annoying is that the same criminals are committing the same crimes over and over and also the huge amount of property crime. I also think I saw more bank robberies in 5 years on the news than I saw in 25 up north. The criminal element seemed more brazen and not afraid to bring their "business" to a nice suburb. That said, lets face it..be smart and don't invite trouble and you will be okay. No place is immune to crime and that includes even the best northern suburbs.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:13 AM

60 posts, read 126,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Remember, you are not moving to a utopia where there is no crime and everything is all peace and quiet. Thugs can drive and they come from all over to infiltrate areas that they think that they can make a few bucks with the least amount of effort. We are also a corridor of crime/drug traffic with our proximity to two major interstates...77 & 85. So, if you keep all that in mind and do not come here with rose-coloured glasses expecting some quiet, sleepy little town, you should be alright.
And these things dont happen in NY or other cities. NY & LI about 8 million people. Charlotte and surrounding areas less than a million. Come on your chances are greater in big cities with more people. Things happen every where in this country.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 AM

60 posts, read 126,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Don't go to ATM's at 2 in the morning, don't walk alone uptown when the bars are closing. Don't leave your garage up all night long. Don't leave your purse in your car in the driveway overnight. USE COMMON SENSE.

Property crime is a much bigger thing to be concerned about.
I think this advice would be common place no matter where you live , no matter what state.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
And these things dont happen in NY or other cities. NY & LI about 8 million people. Charlotte and surrounding areas less than a million. Come on your chances are greater in big cities with more people. Things happen every where in this country.
They DO happen everywhere that is very true. BUT your odds of something bad happening there in the suburbs are more likely than in the suburbs of a northern city. Its just a fact, it doesn't mean up here is safe, it just means the numbers dictate your chances of getting a breakin are greater in south Charlotte than they are in a suburb of NY. Just look at the numbers...they don't lie.

That said (to the OP), there are still many safe places to live in Charlotte and I do agree that I would not avoid moving there for crime, its not a big enough issue but is something you have to put on your radar a little more than where you may be coming from up north..

Last edited by jp03; 03-18-2012 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
which numbers jp? please link us the numbers. Link me some numbers where you prove that a suburb to Charlotte is more dangerous than a suburb of NY. You can't compare Charlotte to a suburb, compare a suburb to a suburb. Like Marvin, or Weddington or Indian Trail to whatever NY suburb.

Well using the Sperling crime rate , Charlotte, compared to say a White Plains or Norwalk in the NY area, Charlotte ranks 8 out of 10 in both property and violent crime with 10 being the highest. Norwalk and White Plains are both 4 out of 10 for both. Now those are major cities up north.

Now...Weddington and Indian trail are both 4 out of 10 as smaller suburbs of Charlotte. You go to smaller further out suburbs in NY and Connecticut and it goes down 1 or 2 in many places. Places like Newtown Ct, Pawling NY are 1 ...you don't get those kind of numbers here in any suburbs.

Crime in big cities is everywhere. You take Bridgeport CT,,that is a 9 in violent crime. Cities up north are terrible crime-wise. But you go to a suburb right next to it. Trumbull you get a 2. Crime stays put. Not here as much.

Now how valid is Sperling? Up to you. But this said there are MANY safe parts of Charlotte and to not move there due to crime is silly.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:00 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Well using the Sperling crime rate , Charlotte, compared to say a White Plains or Norwalk in the NY area, Charlotte ranks 8 out of 10 in both property and violent crime with 10 being the highest. Norwalk and White Plains are both 4 out of 10 for both. Now those are major cities up north.

Now...Weddington and Indian trail are both 4 out of 10 as smaller suburbs of Charlotte. You go to smaller further out suburbs in NY and Connecticut and it goes down 1 or 2 in many places. Places like Newtown Ct, Pawling NY are 1 ...you don't get those kind of numbers here in any suburbs.

Crime in big cities is everywhere. You take Bridgeport CT,,that is a 9 in violent crime. Cities up north are terrible crime-wise. But you go to a suburb right next to it. Trumbull you get a 2. Crime stays put. Not here as much.

Now how valid is Sperling? Up to you. But this said there are MANY safe parts of Charlotte and to not move there due to crime is silly.
Also, NYC itself is also a 6 in violent crime and a 3 in property crime compared to Charlotte's two 8s. In general, it's a statistical fact that the South is the most violent, crime-ridden region of the country.

Here's a good map showing the safest areas of the city in the darkest blue.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2012 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte