U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:57 AM

16 posts, read 41,021 times

Advertisements

Here is the crime report for June - from the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Dept. Web site.
http://charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/ewd7e544wnaxhaakwfxjhzxhl5xu3z76hqdbuz67mriz5wlfme zdrexcwxyfvoe5ckbausziafwi2cd3zsc2jba2nrc/IndexSummaryJune2007.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 08:31 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius97 View Post
Here is the crime report for June - from the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Dept. Web site.
http://charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/ewd7e544wnaxhaakwfxjhzxhl5xu3z76hqdbuz67mriz5wlfme zdrexcwxyfvoe5ckbausziafwi2cd3zsc2jba2nrc/IndexSummaryJune2007.pdf (broken link)
Wow, thanks for posting - with the exception of larceny, ALL crimes numbers are down! This is great news!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 AM

550 posts, read 1,616,903 times
There's crime all over....it's a big city.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 PM

128 posts, read 310,909 times
I live in Detroit and plan to move to North Carolina next year. There is no way Charlotte crime is anyway near what Detroit is , lol. It's plain and simple. Make sure you keep your stuff protected. Crime can happen anywhere. Especially if you don't take safety precautions. Keep your stuff locked and hidden. If a person doesn't see something they want they wont break in. It's that simple.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 AM

30 posts, read 95,122 times
Default News reports on crime

When I first moved here, I was surprised and worried about all the news reports of gangs, robberies, carjackings, and murders. I really wondered if I had made the wrong decision to move here.

What I have decided is this: the TV stations report on the crime because either they don't look for other stories OR there just isn't enough happening other than crime. Plus, they keep telling the same story for days, which makes it all seem worse. You would think an area this size would have lots of news worthy happenings, but maybe not. I moved from the Norfolk-VA Beach area. We always had lots of military news and more Washington, DC news there. Most every night there was truly something "new @ 11:00". Even the newspaper here often has the same (usually local) story two or three times in the same issue! What a waste of paper! And, why? Is it just so the paper looks bigger?

Many of us who have moved here did so for a change from the way of life in our previous location. One of the changes for me is that I don't feel compeled to watch all the newscasts anymore. What a relief! I'm not tied to the newspaper as much either. I listen (or skim) for true "news", then go do something else.

My personal opinion is that Charlotte and its' media still have some growing to do. Both the city and the media feel bigger and more "happenin'" than they really are.

Don't misunderstand me - I don't mean this as a put down, but just as a statement. I am really glad that I moved here. I love living here. It's a much better way of life and I'd move here again in a heartbeat! I just think that for the news of crime to decrease, TV and The Observer need to rethink how & what they cover, find some highly qualified people (including proof readers), and let everyone know they will report on more than criminal acts.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:36 AM

755 posts, read 2,241,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoj View Post
There is no way Charlotte crime is anyway near what Detroit is , lol.
Charlotte has a higher murder rate than Detroit.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 AM

101 posts, read 271,846 times
Crime in Charlotte isn't great... but like everyone has said, this is a pretty large city. Your going to have crime, I do think the media shines more light on it then other areas which I have lived, and I think its a good thing.

There should be a constant fight to improve the safety of our city.... and the only way to do that is to let the people know what is going on. This way we can take the proper precautions to not allow crimes to happen to us. Plus all the attention will encourage the state to make our safety a top priority along with education.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-15-2007 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: sorry this is comment that is flaming in nature

Old 08-15-2007, 07:58 AM

190 posts, read 613,863 times
Hi everyone,

I just read Pineville is considering have a curfew for young people 16 and under. I think that is a very wise decision In Newark, New Jersey last week,
four good kids were just hanging out and were shot in the head. It's the young thugs roaming around looking for someone to hurt. I know the young people won't like this at all because, they insist they can be trusted, but it's not these good kids we are trying to punish, but to protect.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:21 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,592,209 times
Default Is Crime In Charlotte Getting Worse?

It seems like everytime (daily basis) I go to the charlotte.com website and read the daily news, someone's car is getting hijacked, a murder has happened or a robbery has happened. What's up there??? Are areas like Huntersville much safer to live in? We plan on moving to the Charlotte area (outside the city) as soon as our house sells in the Denver area. Denver has it's crime also, but is Charlotte's crime getting worse? Us, like others wanting to move to the area, want a safe place to live (day or night).

Old 09-11-2007, 03:53 PM

876 posts, read 3,481,699 times
Isn't Denver outside of Charlotte? I haven't heard of alot of crime occurring in Denver? We live just outside of Denver and its extremely quiet and peaceful out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or