U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times

Advertisements

"The progress in North Carolina is particularly remarkable, Habit said, given the disruption in the economy over the past 10 years, with longstanding industries like textiles and tobacco shrinking or radically changing."

Overall, the national graduation rate rose from 72 percent to 75.5 percent between 2001 and 2009.

Read more here: Report: NC among leaders in graduation rate gains | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/03/19/3109358/report-nc-among-leaders-in-graduation.html#storylink=cpy - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Its good news that kids are staying in school...

Being devil's advocate here, one thing I fear is that we "push" kids through the system just to pass them. Public Schools have an incentive to do this. Many kids don't get the proper training/education but get passed anyway is my feeling....I see it at the elementary school level, so I'm sure its happening at the upper grades.....that is not good.

Also, Its a pipe dream, but I wish the ciriculum would be modified so that students can learn more about geography, and things like managing your money/budgeting.....alot of times parents are terrible at doing this (and everything SHOULD start w/the parents), but at least the schools can have courses to teach kids about debt and the real world.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,807 times
Statistics are tough when it comes to education... However, I don't think one can argue that graduation rate is one of the best metrics with regard to "rating" public schools. It's not perfect for sure, but it's one of the top ways to determine if a school is doing its job.

I agree with CJ regarding curriculum, etc... but at face value, I find this article to be a huge plus for NC and a great indication of improvement with education here.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Its good news that kids are staying in school...

Being devil's advocate here, one thing I fear is that we "push" kids through the system just to pass them. Public Schools have an incentive to do this. Many kids don't get the proper training/education but get passed anyway is my feeling....I see it at the elementary school level, so I'm sure its happening at the upper grades.....that is not good.

Also, Its a pipe dream, but I wish the ciriculum would be modified so that students can learn more about geography, and things like managing your money/budgeting.....alot of times parents are terrible at doing this (and everything SHOULD start w/the parents), but at least the schools can have courses to teach kids about debt and the real world.
Jack, I completely agree about what kids are not being taught!

When I was a freshman in high school we had to take "Civics".

This class is where I learned how to write a check and balance a check book for the first time.

I also had to take "Government" in high school.

This is where I learned how our branches of government work, including things like the electoral college, civil rights and responsibilities, and how the supreme court works.

Oh, and let's not forget Home Ec, where I learned how to cook a meat loaf, boil an egg and sanitize my kitchen.

These things are no longer being taught regularly in our public schools.

And we are turning out less and less functional young adults into the world because of it.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Statistics are tough when it comes to education... However, I don't think one can argue that graduation rate is one of the best metrics with regard to "rating" public schools. It's not perfect for sure, but it's one of the top ways to determine if a school is doing its job.

I agree with CJ regarding curriculum, etc... but at face value, I find this article to be a huge plus for NC and a great indication of improvement with education here.
Statistics are tough when it comes to many subjects, as they can so often be skewered depending on the info input

I do agree though that this article demonstrates great strides in education and I'm proud of NC!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 AM

10,504 posts, read 4,379,331 times
I watch my grand kids and see a different form of education. The computer needs to be used more in the systems. We need to have wireless in all the schools and the use of tablets could save millions in cost savings. The HS also need to have shop programs again, but it takes the willingness of the population to pay. Sorry to say that when you talk about govt saving's the school systems are first hit by the politicians who are trying to save their own interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or