U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 PM

17 posts, read 96,176 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to Charlotte in October. He will be working not far from the airport (in the vicinity of I-77 & 521) and would prefer not to spend much more than about an hour each day (30 minutes each way) on the commute. We would really appreciate any recommendations from regular commuters as to what neighborhoods we should consider and what the problems may be with commutes from various directions.

We're looking for a reasonably safe neighborhood close to shops, restaurants, etc, and within NC (rather than SC). We plan to rent a house and would prefer a newer home (with monthly rent under $1400).

Thanks in advance for your responses. We will be traveling to Charlotte next weekend to find a rental home and it would really help to have some information about various areas in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creatively View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to Charlotte in October. He will be working not far from the airport (in the vicinity of I-77 & 521) and would prefer not to spend much more than about an hour each day (30 minutes each way) on the commute. We would really appreciate any recommendations from regular commuters as to what neighborhoods we should consider and what the problems may be with commutes from various directions.

We're looking for a reasonably safe neighborhood close to shops, restaurants, etc, and within NC (rather than SC). We plan to rent a house and would prefer a newer home (with monthly rent under $1400).

Thanks in advance for your responses. We will be traveling to Charlotte next weekend to find a rental home and it would really help to have some information about various areas in advance.

Plan to live in Steele Creek and your commute time will be the best. This is area 7 on the real estate map. Newer homes in your price range will be easy to find to rent

Old 09-11-2007, 08:37 PM

620 posts, read 1,919,078 times
I would also look at the Steele Creek area. You should also look into Belmont or Mount Holly in Gaston County. Very easy commute from all those areas to the airport.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 AM

17 posts, read 96,176 times
It sounds as if the areas south or west of the airport are the best options. What about the north side? Is that too difficult a commute?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creatively View Post
It sounds as if the areas south or west of the airport are the best options. What about the north side? Is that too difficult a commute?

Thanks!
The north end of the county is a nice place to live, though I would not care to commute in that traffic myself. What you don't want is to be in the north end of the city - big difference in safety.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:53 AM

15 posts, read 54,958 times
Steele creek/ carowinds area is nice...and an easy commute to that area for work.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,772,301 times
Definitely look in SC around Tega Cay/Fort Mill.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:24 AM

14 posts, read 34,360 times
We relocated to Gastonia--really like it. Easy commute. Best wishes!

Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,772,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbels View Post
We relocated to Gastonia--really like it. Easy commute. Best wishes!
Good option too. Very easy access to airport via I-85 or US 74.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or