U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Charlotte a Music Mecca?
Yes 2 5.88%
Not Yet 32 94.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,917,549 times

Advertisements

I was so bummed that Springsteen chose Greensboro over Charlotte this past Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,931,264 times
I saw Sepultura last year and there were maybe 50-75 people. I saw Machinehead a couple months ago and there were a good 200+ people. I missed Devildriver and 3 Inches of Blood but I hope they sold well. I just purchased tickets to see Mastadon and Opeth. I hope they gets close to same amount of people as the Machinehead show. I would hate to have to travel to Raleigh or Atlanta for a good Heavy Metal show due to low attendance.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:09 PM

29,538 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Now, that's good constructive criticism. Hopefully, the venues and scene will continue to evolve. This hasn't ever been one of Charlotte's strong suits which I attribute mainly to a lack of a large home-grown campus-based university where many of this bands, scenes develop. UNCC seemed more a commuter school till the late 80s and lacked the notoriety of the Triangle based schools.
^This. Developing an organic music scene is a bit different than an increasing number of acts coming to town. I doubt much will progress in Charlotte on the former front, but be happy with what IS going on.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,448,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Without signed artists (successful or not), you really have no scene at all.

Seriously? Many parts of the country had very strong, local music scenes without having any big-name, signed acts from the area (although there were places where a lot started to get signed once the labels latched on to a certain genre)?

The issue is not the lack of signed artists, but rather the lack of venues that actively book and promote original, local acts. It is difficult to say if such places would get support from people without having such places to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
^This. Developing an organic music scene is a bit different than an increasing number of acts coming to town. I doubt much will progress in Charlotte on the former front, but be happy with what IS going on.
Exactly - a "scene" has to do with acts based here in Charlotte, not with how many big name bands come through and play at TWC and the amphitheater.

We've been in Charlotte about 3.5 years. We know a few local bands here, but we've gotten to know a lot more original bands based out of Raleigh - again, I attribute that to more small clubs that book such bands.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
We've been in Charlotte about 3.5 years. We know a few local bands here, but we've gotten to know a lot more original bands based out of Raleigh - again, I attribute that to more small clubs that book such bands.
And I believe that, in turn, is due to all the colleges and universities in the area. Aside from places that are known as the epicenter of certain genres like NOLA & jazz, Memphis & blues/rock 'n roll, and Nashville & country, cities with notable music scenes typically have a big college/university scene, like the Triangle, Austin, Athens, and even Columbia.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,935,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Seriously? Many parts of the country had very strong, local music scenes without having any big-name, signed acts from the area (although there were places where a lot started to get signed once the labels latched on to a certain genre)?
If the scene was strong, they would have labels checking them out and signing the good amoung the rest. Again, successful or not... that is how you determine the strength of the local market.

Take little old New Brunswick, New Jersey. Only claim is Rutgers. Yet, it has a thriving music scene. Plenty of local acts... some who have made it (i.e. Bouncing Souls, Thursday, etc) and some that didn't. It also helps that two mid to small labels calling it home. This is just one example of a true music scene not of Nashville size.

Quote:
The issue is not the lack of signed artists, but rather the lack of venues that actively book and promote original, local acts. It is difficult to say if such places would get support from people without having such places to begin with.
Plenty of venues here beyond the big names ones. In example, Tremout and Neighborhood Theater to name a few. They book them.

Quote:
3 colleges = tons of young people. Hence, why you see lots of locals acts in Raleigh... Back to my original comment, look they have bands/artists that have made it i.e. Ben Folds Five, Between the Buried and Me, Little Brother, etc. Thus, a product from having a scene.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,737,059 times
I don't understand this perception that Greensboro-nc and Raleigh have better music scene and get more acts. A lot big name artist(especially AA) will play at lounges and clubs in Charlotte not just the big venues. This happens no where near as much in Raleigh and especially Greensboro-nc.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
A lot big name artist(especially AA) will play at lounges and clubs in Charlotte not just the big venues.
TOTALLY different subject than what's being discussed here. You have to be more into the alternative and rock scenes to get it.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM

11,711 posts, read 9,320,895 times
Quote:
If the scene was strong, they would have labels checking them out and signing the good amoung the rest. Again, successful or not... that is how you determine the strength of the local market.

Take little old New Brunswick, New Jersey. Only claim is Rutgers. Yet, it has a thriving music scene. Plenty of local acts... some who have made it (i.e. Bouncing Souls, Thursday, etc) and some that didn't. It also helps that two mid to small labels calling it home. This is just one example of a true music scene not of Nashville size.

Plenty of venues here beyond the big names ones. In example, Tremout and Neighborhood Theater to name a few. They book them.

3 colleges = tons of young people. Hence, why you see lots of locals acts in Raleigh... Back to my original comment, look they have bands/artists that have made it i.e. Ben Folds Five, Between the Buried and Me, Little Brother, etc. Thus, a product from having a scene.
Most acts get signed when they go on the road and play in cities where A&R's are...

If Rutgers was in South Carolina they wouldn't have a "thriving" music scene. Rutgers is an hour from NYC... it's much easier to have a thriving scene in a little old college town when it's so close to the media mecca of the world.

Jersey also has a rich history of producing recording artists...

Use Charlottesville or Columbia, SC if you want to be realistic when comparing Charlotte.

The problem with Charlotte is the lack of "art history" or being known as an art town. When I go to NoDa I have a good time and it reminds me of "college" but it's small... however, if you go to NoDa and Plaza Midwood it feels like these places could spark a movement.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,448,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And I believe that, in turn, is due to all the colleges and universities in the area. Aside from places that are known as the epicenter of certain genres like NOLA & jazz, Memphis & blues/rock 'n roll, and Nashville & country, cities with notable music scenes typically have a big college/university scene, like the Triangle, Austin, Athens, and even Columbia.

Very true.

Quote:
I think we're talking about two different things - I'm looking at a "scene" as a decent-sized collection of local, original bands and artists - regardless of how many of them get signed (if any). Maybe its my perspective, I grew up with the thriving punk scene in DC in the 80's - a lot of great bands, a lot of shows, but major labels were not picking up people there, instead the bands were pressing their own records and making their own labels like Dischord.

Quote:
Oh there are a few places that will book local and traveling unsigned / indie acts. Snug Harbor and The Milestone are others. But even in these places, it seems like a lot more bands are passing through and are not all local.

Along with the college thing (or lack thereof), another problem seems to be that the local acts we do have here are not very cohesive in terms of being a network. Growing up in DC (and later in Baltimore) a lot of the local acts in both places worked much more closely together - booking and playing shows together, working to get people to come out to shows, etc., even if they all did not exactly play the same type of music. It was a bit more of a community thing among the bands and the people who came out. I don't see as much of that here either, which is something else that could help cultivate a bigger scene here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte