U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,855,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroede01 View Post
1. Can't get a good job somewhere else.
2. Staid and lifeless persons
3. Person that thinks 2 for 1 special at Harris Teeters constitute a night out.
4. Baptist
5. People that vacation at Myrtle Beach
6. Those folks that like bad weather 8 months out of the year

I post this back in May. Yet no one has said that this is not a great depiction of Charlotte. Yes, a few personal attacks, and some psychobabble. But can someone say that my description isn't Charlotte?

If thats your view of Charlotte stay in Florida (or where ever the hell your are thats so much better), don't have the energy to feed the troll here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:02 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,201,862 times
Quote:
4. Baptist

I post this back in May. Yet no one has said that this is not a great depiction of Charlotte. Yes, a few personal attacks, and some psychobabble. But can someone say that my description isn't Charlotte?

Your description ISN'T Charlotte - not even close.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,486 times
Default Gotta love it!

[FONT=Verdana]My work has given me an opportunity to live in many cities over the years such as Rochester, Boston, Houston, Raleigh and now Charlotte. I loved Boston but it was TOO expensive. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Charlotte[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] is perfect and let me tell you why. Other than Chicago it is the only major city where you can be on the lake in 25 minutes in either direction. My husbnad and I love that we can work in uptown and be at our home on the lake in a small twon like Cornelius in 25 minutes. 77 offers an HOV and the bus service, yes I said bus, is super. I can take an express bus from Huntersville to uptown along with other professional in minutes and it only costs $2.00. The city planners of Charlotte have a grand vision and and they have stuck to it. We have watched them work over the last 4 years and the choices they have made are excellent. It started by relocating a top culinary school, Johnson and Whales, from Charleston to uptown. This brought lots of young people to uptown and has added many skilled chefs to our restaurant schene. I could go on and on but I have to get ready for work. The sort of it is that Charlotte is clean (this is a big one for me), safe, and offers a lot of entertainment from restaurants to nightlife to professional sports and all at a price I can afford. i suggest you pick up this month's Charlotte Magazine. There is an interview with several up and coming people that tell why they love it and what they would want to change.[/FONT]

Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,744,212 times
Quote:
4. Baptist

OK, here ya go...
1. I had a very good job in NJ and chose to live here... got a better job here. A lot of people I know left good jobs elsewhere to live here too.

2. Are you for real? There's always a party somewhere. Charlotte has sooooo much to do, it makes me dizzy. It doesn't matter if you're 15 or 75, single or w/kids, there's a thousand and one things to choose from that are all practically just around the corner and you don't have to deal with long lines or traffic jam to get to them.

3. The median incomes here are pretty high, so do you're research before utterring nonsense.

4. The church with the largest congregation in Charlotte is Catholic, there are also so many other religions represented here that this statement is just shows your ignorance. Again, do your research.

5. Yes, that is the closest beach, and if you live anywhere, you tend to go to the closest beach when you want that type of vacation. But, we also frequent the mountains and every other major vacation spot along the east coast. We have the best of both worlds.

6. Do you have any idea how many people move here for the weather? I guess not. The north east is always cold and rainy, Florida is always too hot and humid and always under the threat of hurricaines... who needs all that. People still wear shorts in December here and we rarely get snow. It's brisk about 2 months out of the year. I bet if we compared utility bills, you would be shocked.

So, educate yourself on an area before you start attacking it and it's people.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 AM

457 posts, read 1,224,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
OK, here ya go...
1. I had a very good job in NJ and chose to live here... got a better job here. A lot of people I know left good jobs elsewhere to live here too.

2. Are you for real? There's always a party somewhere. Charlotte has sooooo much to do, it makes me dizzy. It doesn't matter if you're 15 or 75, single or w/kids, there's a thousand and one things to choose from that are all practically just around the corner and you don't have to deal with long lines or traffic jam to get to them.

3. The median incomes here are pretty high, so do you're research before utterring nonsense.

4. The church with the largest congregation in Charlotte is Catholic, there are also so many other religions represented here that this statement is just shows your ignorance. Again, do your research.

5. Yes, that is the closest beach, and if you live anywhere, you tend to go to the closest beach when you want that type of vacation. But, we also frequent the mountains and every other major vacation spot along the east coast. We have the best of both worlds.

6. Do you have any idea how many people move here for the weather? I guess not. The north east is always cold and rainy, Florida is always too hot and humid and always under the threat of hurricaines... who needs all that. People still wear shorts in December here and we rarely get snow. It's brisk about 2 months out of the year. I bet if we compared utility bills, you would be shocked.

So, educate yourself on an area before you start attacking it and it's people.
MommyV - Perfectly said....

Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,245 times
Quote:
I don't like either city. I take Charlotte, NC.

There are plenty of Russians in So Fl due immigration by Russian Jews or by marriage by Russians to Cubans who were working or studying in Soviet Union and eventually move over to So FL.

Compare Houston Area to So Florida
Jobs Houston
Schools Houston
Quality of life Even
Mini Vacations or weekend getaway:
So Fl has Keys, Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean, Disney, Cruises, Caribbean.
Houston has New Orleans, Austin, Galveston,Corpus Christi and Western culture

PS
New yorker consider cosmopolitan getting a pizza in little Italy, or Dim Sum Chinesetown.

Miami, culturally, is an immersion in a foreign culture, it's not about an ethnic neighborhood. It is really being in a foreign country. Thus it's more cosmopolitan than Houston, which is the USA. Paris is French and Rome is Italian both are cosmopolitan and not because they have a little Italy or a Chinatown, Miami is Hispanic

Going to NY your are still in US, Miami noway Jose its totally nonamerican.
What has happened in the past year that has caused your opinion of Charlotte to turn 180 degrees? I hate for something like this to be my first post, but ?????? I just can't reconcile this in my mind. the above quote completely cuts the legs out from under your original post in ths thread.
ZERO credibility.
For 6 mos. have been lurking around this forum trying to get some feel for the people of Charlotte. I have heard the good and the bad, but from what i can tell the good greatly outweighs the bad. and really... your evidence that Charlotte sucks... isnt very indicting. Sounds like a fantastic place for a boring unemployable couple to raise a family of bible-thumpin' bargain hunters.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:30 PM

16 posts, read 41,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjo View Post
I saw your posting that you moved to Charlotte from CO, and are thinking about moving back, and I would really appreciate your opinion of both areas. My wife and I are considering a move to either Charlotte or Boulder/Denver from DC, and would love to hear from someone who has lived in both places!

Where in CO did you live? We know the Boulder area is expensive, but it can't be as bad as DC. We are considering Charlotte, because we hear the economy there has weathered the storm fairly well, and the cost of living is much lower than what we are used to. We also LOVE the mountains, and think we would really take advantage of the outdoors in CO. Basically, we have no idea where to move!

Any and all advice would be much appreciated, and good luck to your with you decision-making as well!

Jonas
Hi Jonas -

This is random but I have lived in both Boulder, CO and Charlotte, NC. I live in Charlotte now (3 years) and lived in Boulder for only 1 year, but my husband lived there for 3 years. There are so many upsides to both locations. You really can't go wrong with either place! But here are my thoughts.

Boulder
Mountains are absolutely magnificent. You are in the foothills and see them everyday and skiing (REAL skiing) is only an hour or two away. The weather is also fabulous, depending on your preference. There is little to no humidity (which you have a lot of in Charlotte) and the summers are wonderful. It does get cold and snow in the winter, but it usually melts quickly because of the sunshine. The air is SO crisp and clean. You can basically walk out your door and go on a challenging hike and there is a bike trail that you can get almost anywhere in town on. It is very unique and alternative, we almost felt like we didn't fit in because we were from the midwest and like mainstream sports like football. It's a smaller town but close to Denver, and it's also a college town which is good and bad.
It is SUPER expensive to buy property, but not sure if that's an issue for you. Since we didn't live in Denver I can't say much about living there, but we loved the whole area. I can't say enough about the beauty of the mountains.

Charlotte
We were relocated here and love it! It's too hot and humid in the summer (for us) but the winter makes up for it. You can be outside all year round. The beach and mountains are only 2 to 2 1/2 hours away. The cost of living is great, gets a little more expensive the closer into uptown you go, but that's the same everywhere. There are alot of transplants so many are in the same boat as you. We are feeling the effects of the economy, but I think we're weathering fairly well, and people will continue to move here because of the weather and quality of life. I've never seen so many new shopping areas and restaurants and new condos. Not sure if that's good or bad

Anyway, hope that helps and if you have any other questions let me know!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:18 AM

14,110 posts, read 22,657,154 times
This thread is hilarious. Anyway Charlotte is allright. Nothing more nothing less. It may be a little bit overrated. But reading my tag you guys are probably gonna figure im originally from south florida and make fun of me and my states sagging economy.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,143,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstrawberries View Post
I no that no city is perfect, but i was wondering besides the probably obvious like traffic, what are the down side of charlotte, and what are the upsides? I don't have any kids, so schools don't really matter to me. I am more concerned with the community and its enviroment, friendly people, places to hang out, etc.

any feedback is welcomed.

For me yes I regret it. I just wished I would have listened to myself and moved directly to Florida. Would have saved me lots of money not to mention finding people more in my age category for friendship.

Charlotte to me, is a city for young people, nothing wrong with that mind you, but I just find there's not much to do if one is over 50 or so.

I'm continuing to stay in the area, another 5 years, but then I will leave...or may leave earlier if the job market picks up and I can sell my townhouse.
For right now? I'm so very greatful Charlotte provided me a job with a liveable wage and that I'm near my son. But I work with all 20 year olds pretty much, have little to no opportunity to meet people my own age. It is and can be very lonely.

If I was a younger person say 25 to 45 I'd run to Charlotte. If I was over 50 I would look for another area, unless you have friends / family already here.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:47 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,024,883 times
Quote:
1. I have had several great jobs in Charlotte
2. I have been called many things, but never 'staid & lifeless' LOL
3. We don't cut coupons, although have been thinking about starting
4. We are Presbyterian
5. Plenty of other beaches besides Myrtle
6. Bad weather? The weather here is great.

Charlotte is a just a great location.
You can spend one weekend in the mountains, then spend the next weekend at the coast.
Decent cost of living, and low taxes (compared to the NE).

I bet you are the life of the party! What a downer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa12 View Post
Sounds like a fantastic place for a boring unemployable couple to raise a family of bible-thumpin' bargain hunters.
How did I miss this! ROTFLOL

Last edited by mullman; 01-17-2009 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or