U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:57 PM

29 posts, read 133,242 times

Advertisements

good luck to you and I hope that you will love your move. Let me know how thingks are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 05:15 PM

29 posts, read 133,242 times
I am planning on a visit but that will not be until the end of jan. or beginningof feb. to see how the winter is down there. I was just wondering how others felt about moiving down nc. this will be a BIG move for me, and I just want to make the best out of it. What are some of the good cities or counties to visit?

Old 09-12-2007, 07:26 PM

230 posts, read 525,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEP9257 View Post
I don't know yet...just moved here two weeks ago. I'm kinda wondering if I'll like it too?!?!?!
From where did you move here?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:04 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,568,701 times
The best way to do that research is to MOVE here and stay for a year, then decide. Even being there for less than a year will help you. Just visiting isn't going to do much (if anything). We are moving from the Denver, CO area to outside of Charlotte. We just can't handle (anymore) the amount of snow that can happen here in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
I loathe these posts, do I like it, will I like it, what do you like, what don't you like.

I'm not singling you out, but these posts are really just feeding the trolls. You have to come down research and make a decision for yourself.

Good Luck and welcome if you chose to come. I will take NC anyday over the 'Noreasters I left in NY.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:06 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,568,701 times
That is the problem. You will visiting there in their winter. Will you be able to handle the heat/humidity that happens there in the summer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstrawberries View Post
I am planning on a visit but that will not be until the end of jan. or beginningof feb. to see how the winter is down there. I was just wondering how others felt about moiving down nc. this will be a BIG move for me, and I just want to make the best out of it. What are some of the good cities or counties to visit?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM

113 posts, read 407,698 times
luvstrawberries-- I moved from Maryland 14 years ago--and I go back there regularly.
Compared to your area- our traffic isn't like yours- and there are always alterntives to a big backup
And I'd agree with loves mountains-- many of the schools here are excellent-- but there is a certain part of the population that has never forgiven them for "sins" of the past-- and they howl all the time. They are better than MC/PG schools- 100 times better than DC schools.
and though you don't need schools, good schools are underlying real estate values- everywhere in the US- good schools = better appreciation.

And you may be too young to remember- Newsweek magazine declared Washington DC "Murder Capital in the World" in the lat 1980's when there was a large drug war in about a 10 block square area of town... a part I and my friends decided not to visit. Likewise,there are parts of this town I don't visit either, and have never been bothered by crime, or worried by it-despite the hyperventilating of the press and some in these posts.

I think you should live near town or in town, Dilworth, Uptown or some where in close. You'll like the liveliness. Culturally it is more conservative, but we are large enough that you cn find people you like.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:14 AM

118 posts, read 408,354 times
Quote:
I no that no city is perfect, but i was wondering besides the probably obvious like traffic, what are the down side of charlotte, and what are the upsides? I don't have any kids, so schools don't really matter to me. I am more concerned with the community and its enviroment, friendly people, places to hang out, etc.

any feedback is welcomed.

I moved hear from NYC and I love it here. I think Charlotte, has grown a great deal since I moved here six years ago. It all depends on what you are looking for. I think Charlotte has a nice mix. I'm single with no children so I pretty much have free will. I'm not into the club scene, but I go out every now and then. There great resturants and clubs uptown. And there is a great paper called Creative Loafing that always has the happenings. It's a free, weekly information guide. I just LOVE LOVE the weather!! Last year it was about 40 degrees, and I was talking to my 12 year old niece who lives in NYC. I was complaining about the cold, she wanted to hang up the phone on me. LOL and I quote "Aunty, you couldn't be serious" that's not even cold.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:24 AM

118 posts, read 408,354 times
Terry you make a good point. I also like that it's with in a great get away range from other places. 3 hours from Atlanta, I think about 4 hours from Tenn. Mountains, not far from the local mountain area. 3 hours from myrtle beach. Thou I'm not a big fan of Myrtle beach. It's something to do. I'm not big on driving any place longer than 4 hours. So anything further you'll have to ask someone else.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 AM

268 posts, read 1,020,984 times
Default also moved from MD

Quote:
We moved from MD about 2 months ago. Other then missing my daughter, who stayed there for her boyfriend ... and the service that I got for my autistic son, I don't miss a thing.

The traffic (although there is traffic here) is a lot less and I have yet to see any road rage (which I saw AT LEAST daily there).

The people are nicer

It's A LOT more relaxed atmostphere

To me, the schools are better (no pushing the kids to the brink, no parents "comparing" your kid to their kid, etc)

and, of course, the cost of living is MUCH less. My auto insurance for 2 vehicles was 300/month there and is 330/3 months here...

Where in MD are you moving from?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:10 AM

14 posts, read 38,556 times
I agree, I hear a lot of negative things, but more positive things. I am going to visit and decide for myself. There can't be more crime or traffic than South Florida. The people HAVE to be friendlier and more polite than the people down here. I am looking forward to having 4 seasons, cooler weather in the fall/winter, being able to drive to mountains/beach/other states in just a few hours, paying less taxes and H.O. insurance, and just having a better quality of life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or