U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 12,417 times

Advertisements

I am college educated, professional, and have many places to compare this to - in and out of country. Unfortunately, sometimes a person has to live some where, not because they want to. It's not Lame..it's life. I can't imagine why Charlotte is the most desired location for people to locate to. It's a strange mix of Southern and Northern and it just doesn't seem to work. It's a very odd place and I can't quite seem to find the pulse here. The schools are awful. The people are not friendly. If you like boring, suburban, unsporty, bad food, Walmart shopping , and crazy church people then most certainly one would attain to try to live here. New people should be aware..it's not all it's cracked up to be and have verbally encountered many who feel the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 11:29 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,942,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanna View Post
..... I can't imagine why Charlotte is the most desired location for people to locate to. It's a strange mix of Southern and Northern and it just doesn't seem to work. It's a very odd place and I can't quite seem to find the pulse here. The schools are awful. The people are not friendly. If you like boring, suburban, unsporty, bad food, Walmart shopping , and crazy church people then most certainly one would attain to try to live here. New people should be aware.......
Be prepared to have some rocks, rotten tomatoes, the kitchen sink (the cast iron kind) and other painful things hurled your way.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,478,774 times
Somebody warmed up an old thread, and here we go again

I've been here 7 years, longer than any of the other cities I've lived in. I can poke holes in the Charlotte mystique and complain about a few things, but ... it is what it is, and I hate job hunting ... so I'm going to work a few more years and keep saving up before considering further travel.

Charlotte is a little odd, it's not really like any of the other cities in NC or SC. It can seem large and bland at first, but as you learn the neighborhoods you understand the variation of the city - you can discover many hidden gems of restaurants and parks and greenways that make it liveable.

The school system is politically disfunctional. But if you read the other forums, you'll find plenty of squawking about the school systems in the other urban counties too. I consider it a minor negative, because a family can still live in York, Union, Gaston or Cabarrus counties and be close enough to the amenties of Mecklnburg/Charlotte.

Charlotte is the only city for a long distance ... probably to Atlanta or DC, with a transit system comprehensive enough to get by without a car. (Emphasize *get by*, not live "conveniently"!) It has an airport close enough to the city, that it makes a good base for someone that needs to do a lot of travel.

Property taxes are a little high by NC standards, but not bad at all if you moved here from CA or the northeast. Auto insurance is reasonable, so is home insurance (since we're not close enough to the coast to face Florida style hurricane insurance debacles.)

And the weather and fall color in October and November is just splendid! Some places either have no trees, or the leaves just turn brown and fall off, or it gets so wet (Portland) in the fall you can't walk outside and enjoy it.

There are other good places to live in the state, but I've never regretted moving here. It's the city in NC with the most opportunity, and the most things to do, if you're motivated enough to look for them.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,724,960 times
Quote:
I am college educated, professional, and have many places to compare this to - in and out of country. Unfortunately, sometimes a person has to live some where, not because they want to. It's not Lame..it's life. I can't imagine why Charlotte is the most desired location for people to locate to. It's a strange mix of Southern and Northern and it just doesn't seem to work. It's a very odd place and I can't quite seem to find the pulse here. The schools are awful. The people are not friendly. If you like boring, suburban, unsporty, bad food, Walmart shopping , and crazy church people then most certainly one would attain to try to live here. New people should be aware..it's not all it's cracked up to be and have verbally encountered many who feel the same.
My bet is that you are from an itsy bitsy town and are a "Big City" wannabe". Right? I wonder why people aren't friendly to your? LOL! Gee, you sound like such a pleasant person. Anyway, if you think that food is bad, you should try another Waffle House And you don't appreciate that we only have Walmart in which to shop? What is wrong with Walmart? You shouldn't be so picky. I bet those "Crazy Church" people have really been a threat to your existence here
Thanks for your "Educated and professional" summary of the area. You gave some excellent justifications for your complaints and pointed out several ways in which to improve. I detect absolute no "sour grapes" in your posting. Have a safe trip back to your original homeland. It is people like you that make Charlotte the great place it is today. LOL!

Last edited by vindaloo; 10-04-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 01:53 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,170,079 times
I have said it before and I will say it again, Charlotte does NOT have the corner market on crazy people, churched or unchurched!

Who said Charlotte was "the" most desireable location? Some people fit here, some don't. It is just like any other place.

BTW: What does "unsporty" even mean?

Are you single? This also plays a factor IMHO. Charlotte is a great place to raise a family but I personally would NOT choose Charlotte as a single person who wanted to go out all the time.

Dawn

Quote:

Old 10-04-2009, 04:34 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,653,718 times
sanna - In your few posts since relocating here you have said that you are unhappy. I sincerely hope that one day you will move somewhere you will like much better.

Quote:
Are you single? This also plays a factor IMHO. Charlotte is a great place to raise a family but I personally would NOT choose Charlotte as a single person who wanted to go out all the time.
Just curious, why not? I'm single and I enjoy living in Charlotte. I'm definitely not a homebody.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,724,960 times
Yea, what does "unsporty" mean?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Be prepared to have some rocks, rotten tomatoes, the kitchen sink (the cast iron kind) and other painful things hurled your way.
I wouldn't expect anything else.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
My bet is that you are from an itsy bitsy town and are a "Big City" wannabe". Right? I wonder why people aren't friendly to your? LOL! Gee, you sound like such a pleasant person. Anyway, if you think that food is bad, you should try another Waffle House And you don't appreciate that we only have Walmart in which to shop? What is wrong with Walmart? You shouldn't be so picky. I bet those "Crazy Church" people have really been a threat to your existence here
Thanks for your "Educated and professional" summary of the area. You gave some excellent justifications for your complaints and pointed out several ways in which to improve. I detect absolute no "sour grapes" in your posting. Have a safe trip back to your original homeland. It is people like you that make Charlotte the great place it is today. LOL!
You are right...don't like Waffle House either.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,693,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I understand, and I feel your pain...the mountains call to me all the time
I also moved here from WNC (by way of Virginia) because there were no jobs in Hendersonville. How ironic...now there are no jobs in Charlotte. I often feel like moving was the biggest mistake I've made. I like Charlotte, but it's not home. I've got mountain life in my blood and I'll never be completely happy til I go home. Just because I prefer my hometown doesn't mean that there's something lacking in Charlotte. It's just different. You either take it for what it is and stay or you move to where you are satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or