U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,578,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The biggest negative about Charlotte is the economy. Charlotte is doing much worse than most of the nation right now, though not as bad as Miami, Las Vegas, etc. As far as the city is concerned I have been very pleased with Charlotte.
You used to constantly bash Arkansas, now it's Charlotte that gets the bashing I see. News flash, no place is perfect...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 AM

23,651 posts, read 33,462,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
You used to constantly bash Arkansas, now it's Charlotte that gets the bashing I see. News flash, no place is perfect...
I did not see bashing about Charlotte in that post. I only saw stating a true negative fact of Charlotte. But he did say he was pleased with Charlotte just not the current circumstance.

H$^&, I love Charlotte but with the economy now, can't even think of relocating down there.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:59 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,498,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheinternet View Post
I know this is an old post. I stumbled on it researching about the city and was downright shocked at some of the complaints that were the very opposite of my findings and why I moved here. I have lived in cities all over this country (NY, FL, VA, TX, WA, CA, TN, GA). We ended up in South Charlotte and love it. We live in a wooded area that feels like a national park when you drive in. There are deer and rabbits and falcons in our neighborhood, but we are within city limits. There are several great "greenways" and even a mtn. bike and hiking trail park less than a 15 min bike ride from my house. (technically in Matthews)
And yet, there are 2 shopping centers both less than 3 miles from my house with everything I need from grocery stores to hardware stores to barbers.

The public schools are great in our area. The crime is low. The neighbors are friendly and helpful but not too nosey. The cost of living is reasonable. We got our house for a good deal (although that might be the result of the economy).

There are a number of great restaurants we have found. (Not as many as New Orleans or NYC, but plenty to choose from.) Charlotte seems to have invested well in the arts, public parks and schools.

I was spoiled with my last commute. Here it takes me 35 minutes to get 11 miles to work, but that is during rush hour and I live in one of the least ideal places for the commute (still worth it in my opinion).

And we are less than 3 hours from Charleston, SC (beach + awesome restaurants) and even closer to the mountains.

Negatives -- I cannot ride my bike to work (it would be suicide to ride Providence Rd in rush hour). The light rail runs the length of only the western vertical of the city (built on pre-existing rails, I'm told). And Charlotte was named the 2nd worst walking city, which I kind of have to agree with, even though uptown (no one calls it "downtown") is very nice. Also, I like a little counter culture in my city and NoDa looks like all we have (North Davidson). But I came here to raise a family not be Bohemian or date, so my interests lie parallel.

I do recommend this as a place to live to raise a family and live a good life. It has what i need. I am part urban commando, part trail running outdoorsman. I value intelligence, good food and drink, exercise and spiritual wellbeing (note: not church). Charlotte attends to all those needs for me.

Is it safe to say then if one is a walker Charlotte is a poor choice of places to live? Other than the urban uptown for walking is that about it for Charlotte? I'll tell you it is very difficult to find Metro's in the SE, that one could say have areas to walk. When you ask people some will answer and then some, will make you feel like your knocking their area. So if the area has such a bad rating on this subject. How do walkers deal with it there? Thanks

Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,749,232 times
There are plenty of places in Charlotte great for walking. Not all areas are, but if that's important to you, then you can choose to live in those areas. If you prefer walks in nature, we have a number of greenways in the Parks system with more planned for the future:
OpenGreenways

We also have some parks with hiking trails in some areas of the city (Boyce Park, McDowell Park, Reedy Creek Park, etc)

If you prefer sidewalks, many of the older neighborhoods closer to uptown have them extensively - like Plaza Midwood, Dilworth and Elizabeth. Even the newer neighborhoods with fewer sidewalks will have plenty of quiet streets on which to walk. Actually, Charlotte is doing a much better job than other cities of including sidewalks on the major roads in the newer areas such as Ballantyne. It is those subdivisions from the 60's and 70's which are most lacking sidewalks. If you walk for exercise, you won't have a problem. If you want to actually have places to walk too, then you have too choose your neighborhood carefully.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,133,260 times
Well I certainly hope I don't sound redundant, or repeat what others have said, with my post. I haven't read through the preceding 24 pages so I am just giving my opinion and not wanting to beat any dead horses.

I moved from the Pacific Northwest about 2 years ago. My Wife and I wanted to get out to the east coast and experience places that we haven't had the opportunity to before. We chose Charlotte for 2 reasons, the first being we had friends who were living out here who were very excited about having us join them, and 2nd we both always wanted to try living in the south.

Our first meeting with our friends, after we moved, turned out to be a bit of an eye opener as they spent the whole time talking about how much they hate Charlotte, hate the weather, can't make friends and can't wait to leave. Gee thanks for the heads up guys! lol

From my own experience here are the pros and cons of living in Charlotte:
PROs:
Great location, ESPECIALLY if you want to explore the east coast. Where I used to live in Washington State I could travel 12 hours north and be in BFE, British Columbia or 12 hours south and be in Nowheresville, CA. Here, 12 hours north will land you in NYC, 12 hours south in Florida. Since being out here we have been to Niagara Falls, New York City, Gatlinburg, Nashville, Myrtle Beach, Atlanta, Savannah, and all were reasonably cheap trips, many of them were just weekend getaways. Sadly, my first pro is all about getting out of Charlotte though.
Another pro is the job market. My wife transferred her job and my friend was a GM at a restaurant and offered me a job there to have until I found something else. I was only here for about 2-3 weeks before I started getting interviews and offers and have worked with the same company since March of 2010.

Pros: some of the persons. People in a city really is to broad of a subject to put on either pro or con list, I would say that generally speaking most of the people that I have interacted with down here are very rude, I'm talking primarilly in the service industry. I have spent over 10 years in Customer Service and am constantly appalled by the lack of attention that seems to be given here. From restaurants to grocery stores to service providers, I would honestly say it's about 80-20 on whether I will feel like the person waiting on me would rather stick a fork in their own nose then deal with a customer. So PERSONS on the other hand, I have had the opportunity to meet and get to know some very nice, very sincere and very genuine individuals since I've been here, and unlike my friends from up north, have managed to create some friendships that will last long after I am gone (from Charlotte, not earth)

PROS: Variety of entertainment. This is true of most cities, but this is the largest I've lived so close to. From Nascar to football to music & comedy there is quite a selection on a fairly regular basis. This is a general pro, for me it's not that big of a deal because due to saving money for the upcoming move going to see a concert isn't really in the budget. But they are here.

Okay, onto the cons.
Of course these are all relative since I am coming from a different part of the country and no matter what some people want to think - things are different all over.

Con: The People. I touched on this a little bit, but to expand: I have not had as many sour experiences with people who are either extremely rude, or extremely arrogant, or just very close minded. I used to say they were ignorant, but I think it's more about them refusing to open their minds to anything other than what they believe to be right.
Con: THE DRIVERS. Holy Jeez! I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the love of Nascar? Or what? When I first moved here I lived in Matthews off of 74 and I promise you not a day went by where either on the way to work or on the way back I didn't pass by either a wreck or at least a fender bender on 74. People are always right on my tail pipe and I DO drive the speed limit (I actually hate it when people drive under, but I do refuse to drive over). People cut corners when they make a turn, I've been driven off the road twice with idiots doing this. Just last night in the Harris Teeter parking lot off of Weddington in Matthews a young lady was about to step off the curb to walk to her car. An older man in his truck was about to turn and he STOPPED, she though (as did I) that he was letting her go, so she started running to cross in front of him and he SPED up and almost hit her. She yelled "REALLY!?!?" so this fine gentleman decides to stop, roll down his window and yell "HEY DON'T GIVE ME THAT SH*T! YOU TRIED TO RUN INTO MY CAR" She goes "I'm a pedestrian!!" Which was the perfect set up for this upstanding southern gentleman to yell "No, you're a F****G B***H!!" I know this is one incident and of course it could happen in any city but I have noticed this general disregard for other people, whether it's their rights, beliefs, or in this case well being, time and time again here.

Con: To be a "Liberal" is a dirty word. Again, this could be many places and probably is.... but coming from the PNW where "Liberals" and "Conservatives" generally didn't let their own views get in the way of developing any sort of relationships (from my own experience anyway) to a place like Charlotte where about 3 months after I started my job here a girl in the office was CRYING, loud, sobbing because (in her own words) "I let it slip out that I am a liberal and now no one will leave me alone about it." I was actually shocked to find out the democratic national convention was going to be held here and in fact a friend of mine who's husband owns a parking lot near the stadium has already started to look into if he would get into any trouble for "charging those sons of b***hes more money" to park then he does during football games. I know political bias is not specific to Charlotte or anything. But I have always considered myself to be a little more middle of the road, in fact in the PNW most found me to be a bit more conservative, but the "right wing" mind-set is so loud and proud down here that it's ridiculous. I have found only ONE person that I talk to on a regular basis who would even listen to other points of view. And that is not an exageration and in my circle politics do come up a lot.

CON: THE WEATHER. As a Northwesterner I was used to cold and rain. So the heat got me a little, and that is another thing that is relative to who you are. If you hate the cold then NC is great. I've actually gotten used to the heat and do enjoy the temperatures when they get into the 80's and 90's, but the humidity is something I could never get used to. It's terrible. And the rain here, everyone knows Seattle gets rain something like 360 days a year, but that's light drizzling, NOTHING like out here. My yard completley got flooded over the past few days.

Anyway, these are just some of my opinions.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,742,622 times
^^^^^Honest and to the point. Great post.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:25 PM

194 posts, read 368,313 times
I truly think the people here are some of the nicest I have ever met! I went to college for Hotel & Restaurant Mgmt and have worked in all areas of the hospitality industry, including Disney, and feel that I get treated much better here than I ever did up North and in Florida. In fact I have never been to a grocery store anywhere but here where the cashier wants to talk to you and ask you about your day? I just don't see how you can say Charlotte has a lot of Rude people???

Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 PM

11,802 posts, read 9,394,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma67 View Post
I truly think the people here are some of the nicest I have ever met! I went to college for Hotel & Restaurant Mgmt and have worked in all areas of the hospitality industry, including Disney, and feel that I get treated much better here than I ever did up North and in Florida. In fact I have never been to a grocery store anywhere but here where the cashier wants to talk to you and ask you about your day? I just don't see how you can say Charlotte has a lot of Rude people???
I agree...

but I think it's a half full vs half empty when observing rude or nice people.

My wife tends to look or recognize the negative while I focus on the positive. Life is too short to let one rude person dominate or erase all the good people people you meet in a day.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM

11,802 posts, read 9,394,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Well I certainly hope I don't sound redundant, or repeat what others have said, with my post. I haven't read through the preceding 24 pages so I am just giving my opinion and not wanting to beat any dead horses.

I moved from the Pacific Northwest about 2 years ago. My Wife and I wanted to get out to the east coast and experience places that we haven't had the opportunity to before. We chose Charlotte for 2 reasons, the first being we had friends who were living out here who were very excited about having us join them, and 2nd we both always wanted to try living in the south.

Our first meeting with our friends, after we moved, turned out to be a bit of an eye opener as they spent the whole time talking about how much they hate Charlotte, hate the weather, can't make friends and can't wait to leave. Gee thanks for the heads up guys! lol

From my own experience here are the pros and cons of living in Charlotte:
PROs:
Great location, ESPECIALLY if you want to explore the east coast. Where I used to live in Washington State I could travel 12 hours north and be in BFE, British Columbia or 12 hours south and be in Nowheresville, CA. Here, 12 hours north will land you in NYC, 12 hours south in Florida. Since being out here we have been to Niagara Falls, New York City, Gatlinburg, Nashville, Myrtle Beach, Atlanta, Savannah, and all were reasonably cheap trips, many of them were just weekend getaways. Sadly, my first pro is all about getting out of Charlotte though.
Another pro is the job market. My wife transferred her job and my friend was a GM at a restaurant and offered me a job there to have until I found something else. I was only here for about 2-3 weeks before I started getting interviews and offers and have worked with the same company since March of 2010.

Pros: some of the persons. People in a city really is to broad of a subject to put on either pro or con list, I would say that generally speaking most of the people that I have interacted with down here are very rude, I'm talking primarilly in the service industry. I have spent over 10 years in Customer Service and am constantly appalled by the lack of attention that seems to be given here. From restaurants to grocery stores to service providers, I would honestly say it's about 80-20 on whether I will feel like the person waiting on me would rather stick a fork in their own nose then deal with a customer. So PERSONS on the other hand, I have had the opportunity to meet and get to know some very nice, very sincere and very genuine individuals since I've been here, and unlike my friends from up north, have managed to create some friendships that will last long after I am gone (from Charlotte, not earth)

PROS: Variety of entertainment. This is true of most cities, but this is the largest I've lived so close to. From Nascar to football to music & comedy there is quite a selection on a fairly regular basis. This is a general pro, for me it's not that big of a deal because due to saving money for the upcoming move going to see a concert isn't really in the budget. But they are here.

Okay, onto the cons.
Of course these are all relative since I am coming from a different part of the country and no matter what some people want to think - things are different all over.

Con: The People. I touched on this a little bit, but to expand: I have not had as many sour experiences with people who are either extremely rude, or extremely arrogant, or just very close minded. I used to say they were ignorant, but I think it's more about them refusing to open their minds to anything other than what they believe to be right.
Con: THE DRIVERS. Holy Jeez! I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the love of Nascar? Or what? When I first moved here I lived in Matthews off of 74 and I promise you not a day went by where either on the way to work or on the way back I didn't pass by either a wreck or at least a fender bender on 74. People are always right on my tail pipe and I DO drive the speed limit (I actually hate it when people drive under, but I do refuse to drive over). People cut corners when they make a turn, I've been driven off the road twice with idiots doing this. Just last night in the Harris Teeter parking lot off of Weddington in Matthews a young lady was about to step off the curb to walk to her car. An older man in his truck was about to turn and he STOPPED, she though (as did I) that he was letting her go, so she started running to cross in front of him and he SPED up and almost hit her. She yelled "REALLY!?!?" so this fine gentleman decides to stop, roll down his window and yell "HEY DON'T GIVE ME THAT SH*T! YOU TRIED TO RUN INTO MY CAR" She goes "I'm a pedestrian!!" Which was the perfect set up for this upstanding southern gentleman to yell "No, you're a F****G B***H!!" I know this is one incident and of course it could happen in any city but I have noticed this general disregard for other people, whether it's their rights, beliefs, or in this case well being, time and time again here.

Con: To be a "Liberal" is a dirty word. Again, this could be many places and probably is.... but coming from the PNW where "Liberals" and "Conservatives" generally didn't let their own views get in the way of developing any sort of relationships (from my own experience anyway) to a place like Charlotte where about 3 months after I started my job here a girl in the office was CRYING, loud, sobbing because (in her own words) "I let it slip out that I am a liberal and now no one will leave me alone about it." I was actually shocked to find out the democratic national convention was going to be held here and in fact a friend of mine who's husband owns a parking lot near the stadium has already started to look into if he would get into any trouble for "charging those sons of b***hes more money" to park then he does during football games. I know political bias is not specific to Charlotte or anything. But I have always considered myself to be a little more middle of the road, in fact in the PNW most found me to be a bit more conservative, but the "right wing" mind-set is so loud and proud down here that it's ridiculous. I have found only ONE person that I talk to on a regular basis who would even listen to other points of view. And that is not an exageration and in my circle politics do come up a lot.

CON: THE WEATHER. As a Northwesterner I was used to cold and rain. So the heat got me a little, and that is another thing that is relative to who you are. If you hate the cold then NC is great. I've actually gotten used to the heat and do enjoy the temperatures when they get into the 80's and 90's, but the humidity is something I could never get used to. It's terrible. And the rain here, everyone knows Seattle gets rain something like 360 days a year, but that's light drizzling, NOTHING like out here. My yard completley got flooded over the past few days.

Anyway, these are just some of my opinions.
good post...

I couldn't stop thinking about the liberal who was crying because she was being picked on. The Lib vs Con thing has gotten way out of hand but crying over it? Wow..

The parking lot scene made me laugh...

I try to drive slow and give pedestrians the right of way but I have been walked into by a fanatic pedestrian who practically dove in front of my car. While pedestrians have the right of way they shouldn't be oblivious to traffic in a parking lot. Drivers can't see everyone and sometimes it looks as though people want to get hit or bumped into because they are bored. That's a Philly tactic. LOL...

Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 PM

205 posts, read 572,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
good post...

I couldn't stop thinking about the liberal who was crying because she was being picked on. The Lib vs Con thing has gotten way out of hand but crying over it? Wow..
Yeah, really. Must have been an Expressive/Expressive personality; very often a trait seen in liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or