U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,133,593 times

Advertisements

As far as the customer service issues, believe me, I spent the better part of the first year or so that we were here trying to get some nice little small talk going but usually to no avail.
The comparisson to the North always makes me think. My guess is that when most people around here refer to the North they are talking North East which I have heard, though not having spent a lot of time up there myself can't say one way or the other, is generally a good place to find a lot of rude people. So if you are comparing NC to the North East then perhaps you are right. Someone back home suggested that due to the fact that I have tats and long hair that may be a reason why, but even if that is the case it would still fall under my definition of rude, lackluster customer service.

As for the lib - con stuff, I don't know. You have a bunch of people in a room laughing at the girl for her beliefs and telling her she's out of her mind and that she is wrong. I could see why she was sensitive to that and I wouldn't be surprised if the roles were reversed that the same thing wouldn't have happened to a young conservative woman.

I also understand what is being said about the pedestrian situation. That is one that I have had here as well, out of no where someone darting out from a parked car and running right infront of the car...the situtation I was talking about specifically took place in a well lit parking lot next to the store, and the girl clearly was waiting to see if the guy in the truck was going to take off. When he didn't she took a few steps into the road and he sped up, he left his stopped position after she was already in the middle of the driving area, so there really was little room for interpretation there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM

763 posts, read 647,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
As far as the customer service issues, believe me, I spent the better part of the first year or so that we were here trying to get some nice little small talk going but usually to no avail.
The comparisson to the North always makes me think. My guess is that when most people around here refer to the North they are talking North East which I have heard, though not having spent a lot of time up there myself can't say one way or the other, is generally a good place to find a lot of rude people. So if you are comparing NC to the North East then perhaps you are right. Someone back home suggested that due to the fact that I have tats and long hair that may be a reason why, but even if that is the case it would still fall under my definition of rude, lackluster customer service.

As for the lib - con stuff, I don't know. You have a bunch of people in a room laughing at the girl for her beliefs and telling her she's out of her mind and that she is wrong. I could see why she was sensitive to that and I wouldn't be surprised if the roles were reversed that the same thing wouldn't have happened to a young conservative woman.

I also understand what is being said about the pedestrian situation. That is one that I have had here as well, out of no where someone darting out from a parked car and running right infront of the car...the situtation I was talking about specifically took place in a well lit parking lot next to the store, and the girl clearly was waiting to see if the guy in the truck was going to take off. When he didn't she took a few steps into the road and he sped up, he left his stopped position after she was already in the middle of the driving area, so there really was little room for interpretation there.
Generally speaking, the northeast (Boston, NYC, Phili) are the areas being referred to.

I know lots of both libs and conservatives. The only people that I come across that are political hotheads are the liberals. Unfortunately, they are the majority in Charlotte by far.

The thing that scares me as a pedestrian are people that don't realize that pedestrians have the right of way until they almost hit them. Pedestrians must really be on the watch. But, I blame that on cell phones mostly.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 AM

3,461 posts, read 3,155,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Generally speaking, the northeast (Boston, NYC, Phili) are the areas being referred to.

I know lots of both libs and conservatives. The only people that I come across that are political hotheads are the liberals. Unfortunately, they are the majority in Charlotte by far.

The thing that scares me as a pedestrian are people that don't realize that pedestrians have the right of way until they almost hit them. Pedestrians must really be on the watch. But, I blame that on cell phones mostly.
Maybe my experience is limited to corporate america, but without saying one word about politics (group outing, dinner, etc), ALWAYS, ALWAYS a staunch right wing republican will bring up politics and ultimately say something about liberals, government..yada..yada. I usually just avoid any kind of response since I'm African American, they assume I'm a liberal/democrat. I don't feed the trolls, plus some have been in management positons, rather uncomfortable.

I have an independent mindset, but the political hothead ratio is 50/50 (lib/cons) and is subject to a particular environment in my opinion. There are plenty of conservative hotheads.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,133,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Maybe my experience is limited to corporate america, but without saying one word about politics (group outing, dinner, etc), ALWAYS, ALWAYS a staunch right wing republican will bring up politics and ultimately say something about liberals, government..yada..yada. I usually just avoid any kind of response since I'm African American, they assume I'm a liberal/democrat. I don't feed the trolls, plus some have been in management positons, rather uncomfortable.

I have an independent mindset, but the political hothead ratio is 50/50 (lib/cons) and is subject to a particular environment in my opinion. There are plenty of conservative hotheads.

Yeah, Big Aristotle, that's been my experience as well. In fact in this morning's meeting alone the GM at the company I work for said "We are a 'for profit company'. And there is nothing wrong with trying to make money, no matter what our President says." Such a weird, ill-informed, out of nowhere shot, but it's something I've become accustomed to.
I always hear NC is referred to as a Democratic/Liberal state, I just don't see it at all.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 AM

11,803 posts, read 9,396,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post

"non liberals" must have a liberal quota... I swear they are required to bash, joke or say that word once a day. It's like a job to them.

Pedestrians have the right of way but they still have a responsibility to use caution... I wonder how many pedestrians who throw themselves in front of cars drive the same way?

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 01-24-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 01-24-2012, 08:00 AM

11,803 posts, read 9,396,523 times
Quote:
Yeah, Big Aristotle, that's been my experience as well. In fact in this morning's meeting alone the GM at the company I work for said "We are a 'for profit company'. And there is nothing wrong with trying to make money, no matter what our President says." Such a weird, ill-informed, out of nowhere shot, but it's something I've become accustomed to.
I always hear NC is referred to as a Democratic/Liberal state, I just don't see it at all.
I think it's due to the 24 hour news/opinion pieces we hear all day long....

I have a conservative friend who is pretty creative at turning any action, discussion or topic into a "this is why libs are screwing up the country"

I'd say about 75% of the topics in this forum have at least one post blaming a liberal for the OP. Doesn't matter if it's about wild animals, planting in clay, Cam Newton, traffic patterns... etc. someone will find a way to blame a lib for it.

but I still don't understand how that brings one to tears... but maybe it's because she is a liberal?

I'm joking.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,076,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

I have a conservative friend who is pretty creative at turning any action, discussion or topic into a "this is why libs are screwing up the country"

I'd say about 75% of the topics in this forum have at least one post blaming a liberal for the OP. Doesn't matter if it's about wild animals, planting in clay, Cam Newton, traffic patterns... etc. someone will find a way to blame a lib for it.

but I still don't understand how that brings one to tears... but maybe it's because she is a liberal?

I'm joking.

Liberals are also to blame for the Carolina Panthers defense. Have you see all the yards and points scored against such a liberal defense?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Well T-Rob, I've worked all over the US and experienced it most places, seems your situation is a result of your current environment and has less to do with Charlotte or the state of NC.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

I'm joking.
Lol, that has to be the number 1 phrase, you'll hear it all the time from many in the rank-and-order in corporate america. It's as if though they got a right to say it, since the majority rule or most of my co-workers feel the same way.

Even had 1 guy forward an email broadcast with a hard right wing slant. Had to retract and send apology email...it was a WTF is he thinking?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:05 AM

983 posts, read 1,367,337 times
I'm a convert. Came with extremely low expectations and now love the place. Especially South End, Dilworth, Downtown, Mahs Pak (or Myers Park for those of us in the 99% :P) and NoDa. Quite a lovely little city.

Then I moved to Greensboro... and now I love and miss Charlotte even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or