U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Reputation: 2323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol, thanks for letting us know how "bad" we have it here....can't fool me though, I know better . Your story is garbage!
How is one person's experience "garbage"?? Seriously.

Charlotte is NOT utopia; it is not the best place in the world. It is ok. If this poster is happier in NY, so be it! I know many people that moved here from the NE that have returned because they couldn't adapt to life here. Our own jp is moving back this summer, I think, because he can't stand the weather here.

Nobody should get themselves in a twist over the fact that some people simply do not like it here or merely tolerate living here. It is a personal thing, after all. The name calling and the dismissal of their opinions are uncalled for, in my opinion.

this is a place (and a thread, even) that calls for people's opinions and a sharing of experiences. Guess what? Just because it doesn't agree with YOUR opinions does not make it wrong. Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2012, 03:21 AM
 
3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
How is one person's experience "garbage"?? Seriously.

Charlotte is NOT utopia; it is not the best place in the world. It is ok. If this poster is happier in NY, so be it! I know many people that moved here from the NE that have returned because they couldn't adapt to life here. Our own jp is moving back this summer, I think, because he can't stand the weather here.

Nobody should get themselves in a twist over the fact that some people simply do not like it here or merely tolerate living here. It is a personal thing, after all. The name calling and the dismissal of their opinions are uncalled for, in my opinion.

this is a place (and a thread, even) that calls for people's opinions and a sharing of experiences. Guess what? Just because it doesn't agree with YOUR opinions does not make it wrong. Sheesh!
No one said Charlotte is utopia neither is New York or Chicago, but extreme exaggerations about how "bad" it is here and how "great" things are now...story is garbage and so is your post...there thats my opinion! There is NO best place in the world, it's really a state of mind.

People crack me up....tolerate living here??? This is America, plenty of food, entertainment, etc....people are so spoiled in this country it's sickening at times! Tolerate living here??? what a joke.

Listen, I don't mind someone explaining why they leave but "dogging" out one place and claiming "hallelujah" about somewhere else ain't reality...STORY IS GARBAGE! It cracks me up when someone moves here and claims Charlotte is the promised land and where they left was evil....that's GARBAGE AS WELL.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 01-29-2012 at 03:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2012, 06:25 AM
 
830 posts, read 1,315,093 times
Reputation: 608
LOL about someone moving to Weddington then complaining they have to drive everywhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2012, 01:37 PM
 
7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No one said Charlotte is utopia neither is New York or Chicago, but extreme exaggerations about how "bad" it is here and how "great" things are now...story is garbage and so is your post...there thats my opinion! There is NO best place in the world, it's really a state of mind.

People crack me up....tolerate living here??? This is America, plenty of food, entertainment, etc....people are so spoiled in this country it's sickening at times! Tolerate living here??? what a joke.

Listen, I don't mind someone explaining why they leave but "dogging" out one place and claiming "hallelujah" about somewhere else ain't reality...STORY IS GARBAGE! It cracks me up when someone moves here and claims Charlotte is the promised land and where they left was evil....that's GARBAGE AS WELL.

LOL---you're as smooth as the hands of a blacksmith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 AM
 
2,361 posts, read 2,643,822 times
Reputation: 2293
For those moving down from a harsh climate, welcome to a 12 month outdoor season. No need to put away your bike, your custom car, your shorts or your boat. Sure there are 20 or so days that are bad in the Winter, however compared to the NE, upper Mid-West Charlotte has 4 seasons: Spring and lots of it, Summer, Fall, Late Fall and then it's spring again.

If you are coming here because you are retired, I would suggest living in SC around Fort Mill and get all the benefits of SC in the form of taxes, housing costs, general cost of living, and all the benefits of Charlotte with a 25 minute drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,938,747 times
Reputation: 1357
Plenty. Clean downtown. Expansion = nice new places. 4 Seasons. The great outdoors. Nearness to beach and mountains. Not too crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Reputation: 5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
For those moving down from a harsh climate, welcome to a 12 month outdoor season. No need to put away your bike, your custom car, your shorts or your boat. Sure there are 20 or so days that are bad in the Winter, however compared to the NE, upper Mid-West Charlotte has 4 seasons: Spring and lots of it, Summer, Fall, Late Fall and then it's spring again.

If you are coming here because you are retired, I would suggest living in SC around Fort Mill and get all the benefits of SC in the form of taxes, housing costs, general cost of living, and all the benefits of Charlotte with a 25 minute drive.
20 or so bad days of winter = 40 degrees with a few rainy days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Charlotte by SC Border
38 posts, read 63,799 times
Reputation: 65
Default Regrets on coming to Charlotte

For almost 25 years I was a Health & Safety professional in NYS. We've seen guns in rural schools, suburban schools, in parochial schools as well as urban schools. I saw a father kill his child inside a Catholic ES in a small suburban town as well as many other acts of senseless violence all around the nation. Guns and knives are all too common in schools but also in all kinds of locations. Charlotte isn't any worse than any other location with these types of incidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
 
9,564 posts, read 8,849,522 times
Reputation: 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
For those moving down from a harsh climate, welcome to a 12 month outdoor season. No need to put away your bike, your custom car, your shorts or your boat. Sure there are 20 or so days that are bad in the Winter, however compared to the NE, upper Mid-West Charlotte has 4 seasons: Spring and lots of it, Summer, Fall, Late Fall and then it's spring again.

If you are coming here because you are retired, I would suggest living in SC around Fort Mill and get all the benefits of SC in the form of taxes, housing costs, general cost of living, and all the benefits of Charlotte with a 25 minute drive.
I just dont know how you can ignore the summer months and say its great outdoor weather. I am baffled by it over and over here. It is NOT great outdoor weather, in fact its terrible outdoor weather 3 months a year. Northern relocators need to hear this.... such bs.

ok, sure winter is great if you hate snow and spring is quite amazing (hate the northern spring),...I agree with that.

Last edited by jp03; 01-30-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
 
9,564 posts, read 8,849,522 times
Reputation: 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Plenty. Clean downtown. Expansion = nice new places. 4 Seasons. The great outdoors. Nearness to beach and mountains. Not too crowded.
Here is another fallacy...Charlotte is NOT near the beach! 3.5 hour ride is not close to anything. Mountains , yes..., 2 hours drive..I'd call that close enough

Last edited by jp03; 01-30-2012 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top