U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 AM

101 posts, read 271,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstrawberries View Post
I am not making my decision based on what everyone/anyone says. i am my own person and i know how to make my own decision, if you noticed i said that i wanted feedback, i want to know how others feel about living in nc, what are the pros and cons, it's all about research........people might know information that i have no idea of / things i might not find out
I wish more people were like you and took to time to gather all the information and make a good sound decision on what You feel is the right thing for YOU.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 AM

48 posts, read 292,971 times
I think before you can decide if you like it or not, is look at the reasons why you are leaving wherever you are - what DON'T you like about where you are and why are you looking to leave? Then you need to see if those don't things are in the area you are going too (I hope this is making sense)

Everyone is different so what I may or may not like, may be different to you -

It is very hard to visit an area and say I will like, I won't like it - when you grow up in a certain area and move, there is an adjustment period.

While there are many posts I have read of people loving it / hating it, you need to keep in mind this board only has so many people - this board does not represent the entire area but a very small percetnage and while I have learned some useful things, your decision should not be based on what you read hear but from your own observations.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:03 AM

7,929 posts, read 17,761,715 times
Luv your doing the right thing, and you will feel better about your decision knowing that you have done all of your homework and research...these boards were awesome for us because Ive met so many wonderful people in the same situation as we were in, and for us with the guidence and knowledge that I had we decided to make the trip to see for ourselves..To tell the truth I wasnt expecting to fall in love with this place and think of it as home, but I did visit with the open mind...After being here for a few days it felt right and after spending 7 days here we all including the kids knew this was where we wanted to live..I found my location via these boards as to where to look since I was reseraching since June of 06 and had no CLUE as to look, we started up at Lake Wylie area and was interested in Toll Brothers at the time, then I was told to look at Lake Norman/Moorsville area by a client of mine...then I found these boards and found Union County, then I found my realtor and we proceeded to be serious about finding the right area for us...so basically, it all worked out well...

and dont do it if it just for financial reasons, you have to want a change of life to be happy...money is all relative at that point
good luck as it is a very big decision and I recommend you have all your ducks in a row so to speak..Make alot of trips here and become familiar with your surroundings and that point you will be either comfortable about do the move, or u may decide to stay where you are..

good luck

Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 AM

29 posts, read 133,374 times
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN HELPFUL IN GIVING ADVICE!! I will take all that was posted into consideration. Everyone has been helpful with information, its greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 12:37 PM

462 posts, read 1,685,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstrawberries View Post
what makes you love it down there and not want to move back if you dont mind me asking
I like the people and their attitude for one. Much different than NY. People are a lot friendlier and actually say "Hi" to you, wave when you drive by their homes etc. They actually look at you in the face when speaking to you and generally most people will drop what they are doing to talk to you instead of looking the other way to pretend they do not see you. Although it's been hot, we have been here numerous times in the winter months and spring and absolutely love the weather here. Overall the quality of life is much better than NY and the slower pace is welcomed. Living the cut throat lifestyle gets old after a while. Every empty plot of land is not being built on or has been built on, well not yet anyway. I love pulling out of my sub and seeing horse farms and large plots of farmland. Even if I am in a bad mood driving by them chills me out. I know one day I came home from work a bit annoyed from the day and got home and walked inside and looked out back and saw a tractor out on the field behind our house and that alone just changed my mood. I like the fact that my wife and I do not have to make a minimum of $200,000 a year to own a home and pay the taxes on it and live comfortably. I can go on and on but I think you get the point.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:27 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,127,940 times
Charlotte is a great place to live. I have relatives who moved from here in VA and instantly fell in love with the City. Right now, its a City in the making.
I know many fear it will become a transportation disaster like NoVA. I feel Charlotte has way too many intelligent planners and a state that supports its cities to avoid what has happened in VA.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michymm View Post
I think before you can decide if you like it or not, is look at the reasons why you are leaving wherever you are - what DON'T you like about where you are and why are you looking to leave? Then you need to see if those don't things are in the area you are going too (I hope this is making sense)

Everyone is different so what I may or may not like, may be different to you -

It is very hard to visit an area and say I will like, I won't like it - when you grow up in a certain area and move, there is an adjustment period.

While there are many posts I have read of people loving it / hating it, you need to keep in mind this board only has so many people - this board does not represent the entire area but a very small percetnage and while I have learned some useful things, your decision should not be based on what you read hear but from your own observations.
i completely understand where you coming from. i have thought about moving for awhile now maybe year or two, my first choice was PA, i changed my mind on that one because i dont care for the winter and i know that they get alot of snow so winter weather is not for me at pne point i even thought of VA, i was opening my options ,but a professional told me that NC was the cheapest, and everyone keep telling of how NC was one of the up and coming cities, I have family down there but dont know them to well and dont think i want to know too much about people sometimes tend to get into your business and i want to get away from that

Old 09-14-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Charlotte is a great place to live. I have relatives who moved from here in VA and instantly fell in love with the City. Right now, its a City in the making.
I know many fear it will become a transportation disaster like NoVA. I feel Charlotte has way too many intelligent planners and a state that supports its cities to avoid what has happened in VA.
traffic can be a headache but one of the concerns that i have it by all of the new changes underway what will the city be like then and how drastic will it effect the cost and way of living. I was actually surpised to find hw many others were considerin of moving a few around my age as well.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 AM

17 posts, read 75,079 times
Lived in Seattle and Los Angeles. I really like Charlotte, Belmont, Mount Holly, Huntersville, etc... You need to check out the neighborhoods/cities as they each have their pros & cons. Belmont is nice for a small town close in enough...

Dilworth, NoDa are kinda hip. Living close to the city is too, but pricier.

I like the fact that you can still get a nice house with a nice lot.... just check out the schools report cards on the web if you're concerned.

Like water... plenty of lakes like mtn. island, Lake Norman & Wylie...

Go see for yourself, though...

Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 AM

16 posts, read 30,063 times
Smile New In Charlotte

Well so far I've been here a month & I moved from Jersey but originally from BKLYN and it does have its up & downs, I'm a widow & have children, only problem is like they some schools are not very good, but if you stay in touch with the teachers maybe pop in school 1 a week it shouldn't be a problem. I HOPE!!! But 1 issue I do have with the schools is not calling me when there is a issue with my child who is in High school and got in trouble on the 1st day, because he didn't know the rules. But I got that straigthen out ASAP!! Also there is crime everywhere and you never run from it, as I was told. And this heat OMG I really can't take it I need a little cold in my life. But I am going to try and stick it out for a year and see were it leads me... But Good Luck if you come.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or