U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:35 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,661,834 times

Advertisements

here but I will say I find crime to be higher here in the suburbs and more random acts of violence then where I came from before. This does concern me but there are so many other great aspects that for right now we are very happy with our choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 21,577 times
Default Go West

It takes a special person to like Charlotte

1. Can't get a good job somewhere else.
2. Staid and lifeless persons
3. Person that thing 2 for 1 special at Harris Teeters constitute a night out.
4. Baptist
5. People that vacation at Myrtle Beach
6. Those folk that like bad weather 8 months out of the year

I have lived here 10 years. Both my kids were born here.

This town is boring, soulless. There isn't much to do. Most restaurants are the franchise variety and those that aren't fail.

The city is pretty, but like a Barbie doll not much underneath. I would look somewhere else. NC mountains don't compare with the West and its beach don't come close to FLA

Go west youngman, go west.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:56 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroede01 View Post

4. Baptist

This town is boring, soulless. There isn't much to do. Most restaurants are the franchise variety and those that aren't fail.

The city is pretty, but like a Barbie doll not much underneath. I would look somewhere else. NC mountains don't compare with the West and its beach don't come close to FLA

Sounds like good advice you might want to follow given your individual perspective.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 PM

57 posts, read 171,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
We should all get together and anytime someone asks this kind of question just have a ton of us say, "NO! YOU'LL HATE IT HERE!"
Maybe not a ton of you have the same attitude as yourself

We are not in a position to make several visits to Charlotte to decide whether we like it or not. Of course we will be visiting before we make the decision though and in that visit we will take with us ALL the information that we have gleened from here and more. Having said that we WILL be having to
make a decision after only one visit so threads/sites like this are priceless.

To the OP (luvstrawberries) and the other poster visiting/moving soon please do me a favour and give some feedback of your experience. Charlotte sounds a bit of a scary place for a smalltown girl like myself, who is used to zero crime.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:50 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,271,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones1 View Post

I think if you crane your neck up you just might see my post.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:07 AM

I see it perfectly well as it is thank you.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:38 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,708,887 times
Quote:

4. Baptist

People that can't spell or use punctuation.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,708,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones1 View Post

We are not in a position to make several visits to Charlotte to decide whether we like it or not. Of course we will be visiting before we make the decision though and in that visit we will take with us ALL the information that we have gleened from here and more. Having said that we WILL be having to
make a decision after only one visit so threads/sites like this are priceless.

To the OP (luvstrawberries) and the other poster visiting/moving soon please do me a favour and give some feedback of your experience. Charlotte sounds a bit of a scary place for a smalltown girl like myself, who is used to zero crime.
As I mentioned earlier, I lived in London for a number of years and spend most of my summers there, so I think that I know how the majority of people from England would think of Charlotte. First, living is very good. There is lots to do and for a Brit, it you will find it really inexpensive. Restaurants are excellent as is shopping. Depending on where you live in the U.K., you will more than likely depend on your car and you may not be used to that. Of course, living in the center of town, one can survive without a car. Just like London, Charlotte has some precarious areas. Actually, you are more likely to be assaulted or have your car busted into in London than in Charlotte. I lived in Hampstead which is a very upper scale part of London and I couldn't keep a radio or VCR in my car without my window being busted out and the items stolen. Generally, people are friendly in Charlotte. There are great places for day trips, ie., charleston, mountains, Myrtle Beach, etc. There is a wide variety of housing available throughout the city. There are plenty of cultural activities. Anyone that says otherwise has not been to other places. If you are nuts about Indian food as many Brits are (and I include myself), there are around 15 in town. Most Brits that I have encountered love it in Charlotte and have made it their permanemt home. After all, there is a direct flight from the Charlotte airport

As someone mentioned earlier, there will always be someone that has his/her complaints and will vent his/her frustrations by implying that everyone has suffered the same experiences. Sometimes negative experiences are brought on by one's self. Charlotte has been a very prosperous city. In the last decade thousands of people have moved here at a pace that has outpaced available jobs which has created lots of competition in many fields. Naturally, it is better to come here with a job prospect. Like any place else, when you move somewhere, you must look for the good and bad and then decide if you will accept things that will require adjusting. The good in Charlotte far exceeds the bad. There has to be some pretty good reasons that Charlotte is the number #1 destination of choice in the U.S.

I might further suggest that it would be wiser to get a general overview of the city from a broad spectrum of writers rather than ask someone with a "bitter" attiude for comments. If you chose to do that, you might as well take charlotte off you list. Americans are the biggest complainers in the world. Believe me, I have lived all over.

Last edited by vindaloo; 05-21-2008 at 06:07 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 06:43 AM

LOL vindaloo thanks for the advice I shall ignore the 'bitter' ones next time

I actually haven't lived in the UK for over 14 years....................I love it so much I am used to driving myself although we did have a driver in Jakarta. Currently I am driving myself though AND in a lefthand drive car so am not too worried about that. Glad to hear that there are plenty of curry houses.

We will be based SC (Matthews area), near to a private high school although none confirmed yet, it is very early days. Having not lived in the US before I am a bit nervous mainly for my dry humour not coming across in the right way. Other than that I am liking what I see and hear about Charlotte and it's people

Old 05-21-2008, 07:05 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:

4. Baptist

WOW. Why do you stay?

1. I can work from anywhere but chose to live in Charlotte
2. I enjoy life and do not spend my time around "staid and lifeless" persons and in fact, don't know any personally
3. My trips to the grocery store are maintenance - they surely do not constitute entertainment
4. I am not, nor have ever been, Baptist
5. I do not vacation in Myrtle Beach but have been there. I am a native.
6. I have lived in other locations and know what bad weather is, and we do not have bad weather 8 months out of the year. In fact, we don't even have bad weather one month out of the year.

People who say they are bored lack the inner resources to find enjoyable things to do. Boredom is internal. If you are bored, then you need to develop your interests. If you like Florida beaches (and I do) then you can visit there (as I do). No place in the USA has beaches like Florida, so stating that NC beaches are not like Florida's beaches is a totally invalid comparison.

Most people are not aware that our mountains in NC are the oldest mountain range - IN THE WORLD!!! Grandfather Mountain is primordial and one of the most spiritual spots on the planet. If you feel this region has no soul, perhaps you need to develop your own spirituality. You can find whatever it is you need/want here. It is up to you. Life happens. How it happens depends on how you structure your life and what you seek.

Charlotte can be whatever you want it to be. No place is perfect. Neighborhoods vary; amenities and conveniences vary depending on where you are located w/in the region. Want small-town? It is here. Want upscale? It is here. Want anonymity/exclusivity? It is here. Want laid back or rural? It is here. Want education? It is here. Want recreation? It is here. But as w/ any circumstance, you have to choose where to locate yourself to experience whatever it is you seek. And then you have to reach out and make life happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or