Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 06:51 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,905,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I understand there are no guarantees on lighting in a city, but my point was JUST IN CASE someone is sight compromised, they may wish to check out where they move, and attempt night driving. I suppose I have made a horrible travesty yet again, in posting something that could be a possible issue about Charlotte( for some people).
That's a big thing for me as well. Not because I expect good street lights but that's what I'm used too. I don't see well at night either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
How many years were the lights off on I-277?

And Mayor Pat worked at Duke Energy like 17 years????

It's more complicated than that

Those lights were under the jurisdiction of the STATE, not the city.

The city (and Mayor Pat) did all they could to get the state to take care of the situation.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpgent View Post
really how have I gotten thru life without youyr knowledge??

Yesterday you seemed all on fire for info - where'd you go Hank?

If you come back remember to give us a budget number so we can make the best recommendations on housing.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM

308 posts, read 613,927 times
Thank you XNYgirl. I totally agree with you. Same old, same old. I wonder how many of the nay sayers are from other places?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM

203 posts, read 493,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpgent View Post
really how have I gotten thru life without youyr knowledge??
What was that in response to? You'll get help here and some honest answers but you gotta try and leave that 'tude at the border.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,602,607 times
No regrets as long as my paycheque is obese and gets more

Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,485 times
Thumbs up Happy with the move to Charlotte

I know this is an old post. I stumbled on it researching about the city and was downright shocked at some of the complaints that were the very opposite of my findings and why I moved here. I have lived in cities all over this country (NY, FL, VA, TX, WA, CA, TN, GA). We ended up in South Charlotte and love it. We live in a wooded area that feels like a national park when you drive in. There are deer and rabbits and falcons in our neighborhood, but we are within city limits. There are several great "greenways" and even a mtn. bike and hiking trail park less than a 15 min bike ride from my house. (technically in Matthews)
And yet, there are 2 shopping centers both less than 3 miles from my house with everything I need from grocery stores to hardware stores to barbers.

The public schools are great in our area. The crime is low. The neighbors are friendly and helpful but not too nosey. The cost of living is reasonable. We got our house for a good deal (although that might be the result of the economy).

There are a number of great restaurants we have found. (Not as many as New Orleans or NYC, but plenty to choose from.) Charlotte seems to have invested well in the arts, public parks and schools.

I was spoiled with my last commute. Here it takes me 35 minutes to get 11 miles to work, but that is during rush hour and I live in one of the least ideal places for the commute (still worth it in my opinion).

And we are less than 3 hours from Charleston, SC (beach + awesome restaurants) and even closer to the mountains.

Negatives -- I cannot ride my bike to work (it would be suicide to ride Providence Rd in rush hour). The light rail runs the length of only the western vertical of the city (built on pre-existing rails, I'm told). And Charlotte was named the 2nd worst walking city, which I kind of have to agree with, even though uptown (no one calls it "downtown") is very nice. Also, I like a little counter culture in my city and NoDa looks like all we have (North Davidson). But I came here to raise a family not be Bohemian or date, so my interests lie parallel.

I do recommend this as a place to live to raise a family and live a good life. It has what i need. I am part urban commando, part trail running outdoorsman. I value intelligence, good food and drink, exercise and spiritual wellbeing (note: not church). Charlotte attends to all those needs for me.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheinternet View Post
I know this is an old post. I stumbled on it researching about the city and was downright shocked at some of the complaints that were the very opposite of my findings and why I moved here. I have lived in cities all over this country (NY, FL, VA, TX, WA, CA, TN, GA). We ended up in South Charlotte and love it. We live in a wooded area that feels like a national park when you drive in. There are deer and rabbits and falcons in our neighborhood, but we are within city limits. There are several great "greenways" and even a mtn. bike and hiking trail park less than a 15 min bike ride from my house. (technically in Matthews)
And yet, there are 2 shopping centers both less than 3 miles from my house with everything I need from grocery stores to hardware stores to barbers.

The public schools are great in our area. The crime is low. The neighbors are friendly and helpful but not too nosey. The cost of living is reasonable. We got our house for a good deal (although that might be the result of the economy).

There are a number of great restaurants we have found. (Not as many as New Orleans or NYC, but plenty to choose from.) Charlotte seems to have invested well in the arts, public parks and schools.

I was spoiled with my last commute. Here it takes me 35 minutes to get 11 miles to work, but that is during rush hour and I live in one of the least ideal places for the commute (still worth it in my opinion).

And we are less than 3 hours from Charleston, SC (beach + awesome restaurants) and even closer to the mountains.

Negatives -- I cannot ride my bike to work (it would be suicide to ride Providence Rd in rush hour). The light rail runs the length of only the western vertical of the city (built on pre-existing rails, I'm told). And Charlotte was named the 2nd worst walking city, which I kind of have to agree with, even though uptown (no one calls it "downtown") is very nice. Also, I like a little counter culture in my city and NoDa looks like all we have (North Davidson). But I came here to raise a family not be Bohemian or date, so my interests lie parallel.

I do recommend this as a place to live to raise a family and live a good life. It has what i need. I am part urban commando, part trail running outdoorsman. I value intelligence, good food and drink, exercise and spiritual wellbeing (note: not church). Charlotte attends to all those needs for me.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
KINGOFTHEINTERNET: Welcome to this forum. That was an outstanding post. Please don't just post one time and go away. Seems you have a lot of valuable insight to share about your experiences here.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,179,232 times
The biggest negative about Charlotte is the economy. Charlotte is doing much worse than most of the nation right now, though not as bad as Miami, Las Vegas, etc. As far as the city is concerned I have been very pleased with Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte