Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 07:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever seen the Mecklenburg County flag. two years ago, I was in Werdermunde and Rostock Germany on the Baltic. These two cities are in Mecklenburg County. I went into every shop and bar in Rostiock to find a Meck. County flag. Finally found one. I will try to post as I can't remember seeing a Meck. County flag and I assume that since the city's history goes back to this area, it would be the one that has been adopted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,167 times
Default Charlotte or Colorado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslick View Post
Where are you moving from? We moved here from CO and are considering moving back, the way of life, pay and many other reasons.
I saw your posting that you moved to Charlotte from CO, and are thinking about moving back, and I would really appreciate your opinion of both areas. My wife and I are considering a move to either Charlotte or Boulder/Denver from DC, and would love to hear from someone who has lived in both places!

Where in CO did you live? We know the Boulder area is expensive, but it can't be as bad as DC. We are considering Charlotte, because we hear the economy there has weathered the storm fairly well, and the cost of living is much lower than what we are used to. We also LOVE the mountains, and think we would really take advantage of the outdoors in CO. Basically, we have no idea where to move!

Any and all advice would be much appreciated, and good luck to your with you decision-making as well!

Jonas

Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstrawberries View Post
I no that no city is perfect, but i was wondering besides the probably obvious like traffic, what are the down side of charlotte, and what are the upsides? I don't have any kids, so schools don't really matter to me. I am more concerned with the community and its enviroment, friendly people, places to hang out, etc.

any feedback is welcomed.

After living here since '97 I would say a down side of Charlotte is the slow cultural progression. The public schools are not bad, but in my opinion, are not par compared to ther cities of its size. Crime to me is not that big of a deal, you just got to know your spots and don't be stupid. I would also say, compared to cities of its size, Charlotte can be viewed as a boring city, but that depends on what kind of excitement you're into.

The upsides, I believe Charlotte is a safe city. It is a growing city with great projects coming, like NASCAR hall of fame, new museums, Afro-American cultural center, and the likes. It has a friendly atmosphere and a moderate political atmosphere. So if you're liberal or conservative you will fit in.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 24,094 times
1. Can't get a good job somewhere else.
2. Staid and lifeless persons
3. Person that thinks 2 for 1 special at Harris Teeters constitute a night out.
4. Baptist
5. People that vacation at Myrtle Beach
6. Those folks that like bad weather 8 months out of the year

I post this back in May. Yet no one has said that this is not a great depiction of Charlotte. Yes, a few personal attacks, and some psychobabble. But can someone say that my description isn't Charlotte?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroede01 View Post
4. Baptist

I post this back in May. Yet no one has said that this is not a great depiction of Charlotte. Yes, a few personal attacks, and some psychobabble. But can someone say that my description isn't Charlotte?
it depends..alot more transplants that dont vacation at Myrtle Beach they vacation in Hilton Head, lifeless well I wouldnt say that plenty of life here in S.charlotte/Ballantyne area in general, we go out pretty often and it isnt to harris teeter, I save that for during the week....and WHO likes bad weather??? most of us northerners love the Weather Here talk about Winter??? if you havent lived in NY or NJ or tri state area pls dont talk about cold weather...and baptist, well I know quiet a few Catholics, Christians and Jewish people, not everyone I know is baptist...again times have changed..Let me also add, that not everyone looks for the same things that others do, so it really is one's own opinion....what I like or my dh likes doesnt mean someone else will...

Old 12-03-2008, 06:13 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Quote:
4. Baptist

Honestly I don't understand what you are trying say.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Default That's Easy to understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Honestly I don't understand what you are trying say.
What she's trying to say is: I posted this on May 20th and in-spite of numerous well thought out responses from knowledgeable and happy people, I have nothing better to do than to go into the "kitchen of troll" and stir up the pot.

Kinda like "MOMMY I WANT A LOLLIPOP" Now do you get it?????

LOL at my own stupid waste of time.
je

Old 12-03-2008, 07:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
4. Baptist

I'll be glad to respond.

1. Okay. If you have a job in CLT, why would you want to find a job someplace else? So you are saying people are STUCK HERE b/c they can't find a good job elsewhere? Well, uh, isn't that kind of how life works? We live where we can find a decent job. So you lost me on that one.
2. Staid and lifeless persons. Well . . . I guess if your parents are strict and you live at home, you might see life this way. I don't know any "staid and lifeless persons" . . . except maybe over 80 and in poor health.
3. Gosh. You got me on that one. Only I don't go to HT at nite. But I do love to save money on my grocery bill. It is called - living w/in your budget. That is a good thing.
4. Baptist. I am a native and every single friend I have is either Catholic, Jewish, Lutheran or Episcopalian. Not that I would reject a Baptist friend, LOL!! I just personally don't know anyone Baptist.
5. Vacationing at Myrtle Beach. Nope. Don't do that. I think people w/ kids often head to Myrtle b/c there are lots of activities there for kids. My friends vacation all over the country as well as Europe . . . and occasionally make trips to the beach . . . but unless doing it for their kids, they don't typically go to Myrtle. For quick trips, most people here head to Hilton Head or Charleston b/c it is easier to drive there f/ CLT.
6. Bad weather? Have you lived in the NE or the Midwest? LOL!! Bad weather? Ask someone from Buffalo or CHI if we have bad weather here!!!

Okay. I responded. Anything else?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
4. Baptist

I am sure that you have some good points, but I have a little trouble comprehending what you are trying to get across. I will try to assist you. First, I can't blame you for hating Charlotte because people vacation at Myrtle Beach. What a nerve of those degenerates. Geeeeez! they should go to Gastonia or Wadesboro for their weeks off. Very valid/sensible complaint. LOL.

You should tell your circle of acquaintances that go to Harris Teeter for a night out that KMart still has occasional blue light specials. But, since you are voicing a complaint, you might want to find more flexible friends. Perhaps that would bring happiness and contention to your life.
But, what else could you expect from the "staid and lifeless" people around here? Do they remind you of the "NIght of the Living Dead"?

I am sorry that you may not have traveled enough to understand that Charlotte, although really hot for a couple of months, has really enjoyable seasons. By the way, what in the world do you mean, "Can't get a job somewhere else." Do you mean, in the whole world?

Good luck with your move to utopia. Our loss is some other place's gain. LOL.

P.S. I understand the disappointment that you must feel not getting the responses you desired for your purely outstanding posting. You obviously spent hours doing valuable research to come up with such informative/thought provoking complaints. I suppose all of the local Baptist zombies are probably at the two for one specials in Myrtle Beach. and just didn't have time to respond. LOL.

Last edited by vindaloo; 12-03-2008 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-03-2008, 09:21 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,959 times
- Had a job elsewhere and decided I wanted to be down here so I took a job down here.

- Uh ok..... While it's not NYC, there is a lot to do especially outdoor activities

- There is uptown. Once again not NYC if you expect to go clubbing every night

4. Baptist
- I'm definitly not baptist

- Never been to Myrtle. Prefer OBX, Wilmington or Charleston

- What do you consider "bad weather"? Weather that isn't 70 degrees and sunny. Coming from the northeast, I consider this 11 months of good weather.

People haven't commented because they thought you were dillusional. If Charlotte is so crappy, then move and tell us where your utopia is... especially a place with better weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte