Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 PM

112 posts, read 259,494 times

Advertisements

I am getting ready to move to the Concord Area and am wondering where I should buy my groceries at. Right now I live in Florida and I shop at Publix for my groceries. In Florida you can't beat Publix. The Stores are ALWAYS bright, VERY clean, and customer service is Extremely top notch. There is really no where else that compares to Publix here. So I was wondering if the Concord area has any grocery stores sound close to Publix.

ps. heres a link to Publix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Check out Harris Teeter - Your Neighborhood Food Market store locater avail on the site. I never been in one that wasnt clean and staff around the place asking if I need anything. Last week one of the butchers assited me with a recipe and choosing right meet for my occasion. They offer paper bags and some have salad, olive, cheese bars, and offer glass milk bottles to recycle.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:49 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,462 times
Harris Teeter is comparable to Publix..we used to shop at Publix in SC and my friend does in FL and at one time they went to HT down there too..so Harris Teeter, but they are $$$ you just have to be careful

Old 05-31-2007, 04:50 AM

189 posts, read 580,394 times
Harris Teeter is very expensive and I am used to CT prices. I am not that impressed with the store either (I know most people in the area rave about it). Oh well...

Old 05-31-2007, 04:55 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,462 times
Where did you shop in CT? HT is considered one of the more "upscale" stores. To each their own..it is similar to Publix in the south south.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:40 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,297 times
I spent the last 7 yrs in S Florida prior to moving here in January, and your right I never had a bad experience at Publix either, here we have more competition, in Kannapolis (one town above Concord), we have:

Aldi- least expensive, least amount of selection

BiLo-I've been a couple of times, quality and selection seem to be there, but a little pricey.

Food Lion- In a word, not impressed (think Winn Dixie)

Compare Foods- specializes in ethnic foods, pretty good selection.

We also have a Walmart Super Store and Sams club.

In Concord we also have a Harris Teeter- When it comes to cleanliness and helpful staff, there's no one better including Publix, there prices are a little higher but they have great sales.

We're a family of 4 and we mix and match throughout the week, my wife goes once a month to Sams and loads up ( we have a spare stand alone freezer)

Most of the other stuff we get at Harris Teeter, kids juices milk and eggs we'll go to Aldi. I think you'll like the added choices.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:42 AM

77 posts, read 461,323 times
Harris Teeter is like Goodings in Fl. My son in law works in HT and saw my daughter in law shopping there. He told her to shop elsewhere it was too expensive in there.While I don't live in NC yet I do shop when I am there.
My husband and I like Food Lion. Meat I buy at Sams club.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
Where did you shop in CT? HT is considered one of the more "upscale" stores. To each their own..it is similar to Publix in the south south.
I used Stop and Shop and Shaws as they were the only two in town-Southbury, CT. Even our local family owned markets had prices that were cheaper than Harris Teeter. All are comparable to me except the prices are much lower for everyday items in CT (on average) with soda being a prime example.

I always hear how Harris Teeter is upscale from friends, etc. What does that mean exactly when talking about a grocery store?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:03 AM

999 posts, read 4,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
I used Stop and Shop and Shaws as they were the only two in town-Southbury, CT. Even our local family owned markets had prices that were cheaper than Harris Teeter. All are comparable to me except the prices are much lower for everyday items in CT (on average) with soda being a prime example.

I always hear how Harris Teeter is upscale from friends, etc. What does that mean exactly when talking about a grocery store?
I have found nothing in NC that compares to Stop and Shop or Shaws. They're the only places I'd shop in CT (with an occasional trip to Stew Leonards ) Harris Teeter is very good. I'm in Fayetteville now and Harris Teeter is the only place here to shop, but have been in Charlotte weekends for 6 weeks now and there are some other options, Lowes Foods looks good, can get Boars Head meats there. I know there are Super Targets there, one in Concord, and while I haven't been in there my sister says the one near her in Atlanta is pretty good (she's used to Stop and Shop from CT too).
For soda, I hate to say it, but WalMart is always the cheapest (or Bjs or Sams, or Costco if you go there).
To the OP, I was just in a Publix in Atlanta last weekend, I was very impressed with the 10 mins I was in there getting some dinner! Wish we had them here

Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
I have found nothing in NC that compares to Stop and Shop or Shaws. They're the only places I'd shop in CT (with an occasional trip to Stew Leonards ) Harris Teeter is very good. I'm in Fayetteville now and Harris Teeter is the only place here to shop, but have been in Charlotte weekends for 6 weeks now and there are some other options, Lowes Foods looks good, can get Boars Head meats there. I know there are Super Targets there, one in Concord, and while I haven't been in there my sister says the one near her in Atlanta is pretty good (she's used to Stop and Shop from CT too).
For soda, I hate to say it, but WalMart is always the cheapest (or Bjs or Sams, or Costco if you go there).
To the OP, I was just in a Publix in Atlanta last weekend, I was very impressed with the 10 mins I was in there getting some dinner! Wish we had them here
Stop and Shop and Shaws are great. Very good selection and great sale prices. Stew Leonards is amazing too, but as you know they are more of a specialty type store. I love their fresh baked stuff though. Their frozen yogurt is amazing too!

I never thought I would spend more on groceries in NC than CT. That said I avoid Walmart like the plague. It just is not worth it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte