Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 08:22 AM

436 posts, read 445,774 times

Advertisements

My take on chain restaurants: Charlotte has hundreds of non chain restaurants. If one has been to other cities, they would see that we are status quo. I personally am glad that there are PF Changs, and other good chain restaurants. We have people from New York and other places that think that they can bring uniqueness to town but are mistaken and when they find that locals are not impressed with their "great new introductions" to the city, they go bust. I am happy with the restaurant scene here which gets better every day. As far as Michelin, I would put Charleston, S.C. against the best of the aforementioned cities. I live in Cornelius which is full of non-chain restaurants. I wouldn't mind a Chilis or a Appleby's here to visit occasionally. I believe that the complaint of chain restaurants is passé these days. But, it is only natural to complain about something. I don't think that Charlotte is the best place on earth, but I do believe that it is exciting with the new buildings, restaurants, etc. coming to town. I don't think that many people have been around other places enough to appreciate what is happening here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 07:52 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Probably the last two places Charlotte people wish to copy is D.C. and NYC. We are growing because people are moving here at a rate places like NYC and D.C. haven't experienced since the beginning o the 20th century.
Actually Charlotte and DC have been growing at similar rates from 2010 - present. Charlotte's rate of growth for this period is 7.37% and DC's is 7.05%. And NYC is just way too big to sustain a high growth rate like that; it would be pretty scary if it did.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:17 AM

48 posts, read 56,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Michelin starred restaurants?? There are only 15 in the entire country, and 14 of those are in NYC, Chicago, and the San Francisco area! If that's the criteria, then 99.9% of country has a "sub-par" restaurant scene.

Charlotte's restaurant scene is very good. Not great, but definitely very good. Lots and lots of non chain, excellent restaurants.
Don't know where you are getting your data from but NY has 58, Chicago 16, Bay Area 35 so please get your facts straight before you get all would up. I also said there were good restaurants here, you seem to have glossed over that.

it seems like you have quite the chip on your shoulder. Stop being so defensive, just because someone says the restaurant scene is better somewhere else it does not mean they are saying NC or CLT is crap.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:36 AM

58 posts, read 101,091 times
I just moved to Charlotte from NYC after Christmas last year. I'm 39, lived in NYC for since 1984 and moved to Jersey City after tying the knots due to marriage tax penalty from NYC income tax on top of Federal and State. Live there for 2 years and had enough.

Our modest condo in Jersey City of 1220 sq/ft sold for 565k, property taxes was $9,800 with tax abatement and on track to 14k after the abatement ends within a decade, HOA was $720/month and $260/month to park the car. You do the math, we can easily afford a really nice house here in Charlotte, but we bought something under 270k, about 20 minutes drive to uptown/work and LOVE IT!!!!

Crime? Charlotte, is not worst than NYC. 1-12th grade has a student teacher ratio of ~40-1 in NYC. Traffic around Concord Raceway for the big event 2x a year is a joke compared to NYC traffic, EVERYDAY. Toll to get into NYC, $14. NYC income tax for us, 3.68% on top of all other taxes. Sales Tax, 8.875%, even at McDonalds and groceries. I can go on and on and on, I've been there for 3 decades.

Charlotte, isn't NYC, THANK GOODNESS!!! I hope it will NEVER be like NYC. My wife an I absolutely LOVE IT HERE CHARLOTTE!!!

For those who want to it to be like NYC, please just move to NYC or where ever else you want Charlotte to be. Don't start ranting about what Charlotte isn't. If you can afford that life style, good for you and move there. I lived the life of a true urbanite and not the frugal type for long enough, it was totally eye opening for me when we moved down here.

We do miss the food and conveniences of the city from time to time but that's okay. We still fly back to NYC every 3-4 month for an extended weekend. It felt weird coming home to Charlotte at first, and I've just recently gotten used to when people ask, where are you from and I reply, "Charlotte, NC."

So, if you don't like Charlotte, just leave. Sorry, rant over.

Last edited by locochinoloco; 12-07-2015 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 11:09 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locochinoloco View Post
I just moved to Charlotte from NYC after Christmas last year. I'm 39, lived in NYC for since 1984 and moved to Jersey City after tying the knots due to marriage tax penalty from NYC income tax on top of Federal and State. Live there for 2 years and had enough.

Our modest condo in Jersey City of 1220 sq/ft sold for 565k, property taxes was $9,800 with tax abatement and on track to 14k after the abatement ends within a decade, HOA was $720/month and $260/month to park the car. You do the math, we can easily afford a really nice house here in Charlotte, but we bought something under 270k, about 20 minutes drive to uptown/work and LOVE IT!!!!

Crime? Charlotte, is not worst than NYC. 1-12th grade has a student teacher ratio of ~40-1 in NYC. Traffic around Concord Raceway for the big event 2x a year is a joke compared to NYC traffic, EVERYDAY. Toll to get into NYC, $14. NYC income tax for us, 3.68% on top of all other taxes. Sales Tax, 8.875%, even at McDonalds and groceries. I can go on and on and on, I've been there for 3 decades.

Charlotte, isn't NYC, THANK GOODNESS!!! I hope it will NEVER be like NYC. My wife an I absolutely LOVE IT HERE CHARLOTTE!!!

For those who want to it to be like NYC, please just move to NYC or where ever else you want Charlotte to be. Don't start ranting about what Charlotte isn't. If you can afford that life style, good for you and move there. I lived the life of a true urbanite and not the frugal type for long enough, it was totally eye opening for me when we moved down here.

We do miss the food and conveniences of the city from time to time but that's okay. We still fly back to NYC every 3-4 month for an extended weekend. It felt weird coming home to Charlotte at first, and I've just recently gotten used to when people ask, where are you from and I reply, "Charlotte, NC."

So, if you don't like Charlotte, just leave. Sorry, rant over.
Bam! Well said.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Bam! Well said.
I was so heated reading about these rants, so almost got NYC ghetto and started dropping the F-BOMB, but that wouldn't be a good Charlottean.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:32 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
Don't know where you are getting your data from but NY has 58, Chicago 16, Bay Area 35 so please get your facts straight before you get all would up. I also said there were good restaurants here, you seem to have glossed over that.

it seems like you have quite the chip on your shoulder. Stop being so defensive, just because someone says the restaurant scene is better somewhere else it does not mean they are saying NC or CLT is crap.
Well, you partially correct, as am I. (The number I quoted was referencing 3 star establishments) Michelin only assigns stars to restaurants in NYC, Chicago and San Francisco, so of course there are no Michelin starred restaurants in Charlotte. That it my point...your comment regarding the lack of Michelin stars is absurd, and an unfair slap at Charlotte.

No chip anywhere, just interested in truth, fairness and accuracy. If that upsets you, then so be it.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:36 AM

I believe CarolinaDawg2 is on the money.... LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States

But who cares.... Charlotte is AWESOME!!!

Old 12-07-2015, 11:43 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
For more than 100 years, Michelin-starred restaurants could only be found in France and various cities in Europe. In 2005, Michelin crossed the Atlantic, allowing for the first time its inspectors to review fine dining options in New York City.

Today, independent Michelin inspectors review restaurants in New York, San Francisco and the Bay Area, and Chicago.

Michelin Star Restaurants in the USA

Old 12-07-2015, 03:00 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
The positive people smacking down the negative nancies on this thread makes me smile. There is hope for society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte